ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT but good news

pbody

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Most of you who know me know I've been battling leukemia for about 14 years. Early on I got lucky and found a chemo drug called GLEEVEC. A true miracle drug but like all chemo drugs it has severe side effects. Life changing side effects. BUT as you might imagine, I'd deal with the bone and joint pain, puking nearly every day, have a lot less energy and others before I'd pick dying. So for 14 years my family, doctors and me have dealt with this whole mess.
Last Friday I went to the oncologist to review the previous weeks blood and marrow results. As they had been for nearly 14 years they showed me in total remission. That's when my doctor tells me about several new studies from Japan,China, Europe and several cancer research centers in the US have determined that folks in my risk segment could stop taking the chemo and likely not suffer a recurrence. Less than 20%. After reviewing the science and studies, my doctor and I decided to stop the GLEEVEC. So yesterday was my last pill. A pill that costs $8800 a month for 30 pills BTW..
I'll likely go thru some withdrawal symptoms just due to the time I've taken the drug. But within a couple months I should be damn near back to normal. Still some pain due to some bone issues and I'll have to build up my strength but to basically be told I'm cured thats nothing.The long daily fight with the cancer that killed my little brother 2 years ago has finally been soundly and likely forever beaten. No more waking up everyday and talking to some.imaginary personification of this cancer just to make sure it knows I'm going to kick it's ass today.

If it does come back I will bow to my friends who have long told people the GLEEVEC had nothing to do with me being in remission. It was really Wild Turkey and cocaine. At that point I will return to throwing the lid to every opened bottle away and call my friend and favorite dope dealer, Anthony, and go straight back to partying like a rock star. Hell I may do that anyway just to make sure.
Sorry to post personal stuff but I thought a few of you would be happy to hear about this little development. Thanks p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News