ADVERTISEMENT

Very little talked-about great stat from 2014-----------

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Skyler Howard in two and a half games behind center threw 8 TDs with zero INTs on 110 attempts.

As Summer continues, I try to make the case for WVU being a great team in 2015. It's difficult. I can make a good case as to why we may not be. (Inexperience at QB, questions on OL and DL, trouble stopping the run, brand new WRs).

But, the case that we may be a great team begins with the straw that stirs the drink - Skyler Howard. 110 attempts last year vs. Kansas State, Texas A&M and Iowa State and nary an INT. (Cue the post about his passes sailing high over our WRs' heads in the bowl game - we know. He also had 380 total yards of offense and three TDs that game) Howard's brief glimpse in the limelight in 2014 harkens me back to Rasheed's shortened 2001 season, when he was hurt in game one - But, he returned in the final game vs. Pitt. We were listless in 2001 and he was a spark that game. He gave us hope carrying over in 2002 - which proved to be bona fide.

If - and at this point, this is all it is: One Big "IF"- but, if Skyler Howard is a legitimate star at QB, then the outlook for 2015 changes drastically. His mobility can make up for shortfalls on the OL. We have talent galore around him at RB. Yes - we'll need a playmaker or two to step forward at WR. But, initially, all we'll need is moving chains...and zero turnovers. It appears that Skyler is already adept at the zero turnover aspect.

With a Defense that can remove opponents' offense from the field - Skyler Howard may just be the QB we need to win. Someone who can keep the chains moving, and not turn the ball over. And, there is your case for an ultra-successful 2015. A Defense that is as good as advertised, and an efficient and sometimes dangerous QB who does not make mistakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News