ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas sets our FB over/under at SEVEN!

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
My question is: what would they have set it at if Grier/Sills combo would not have returned? Has our program fallen this far that the top QB and all-american receiving corps and solid in backfield renders us expecting just seven wins?

The sad thing is: I'd have to pass on that bet. I've just seen it too many times over the last 5 years. Start out strong, a little adversity comes our way, and we finish Nov/Dec with 1 win and 3 losses.

I really am hoping this is Dana's year to prove Vegas wrong. And they set the bar so low, if he's ever going to exceed expectations, this is the year to do it.

Our OOC is on the tougher side, in years past we typically have 2 layups and a 50/50 game and even then we ended up around 7 wins more often than not.

This year without doing a ton of research on how good/bad everyone is, I would say these are our chances

Tennessee - 50/50
YSU - 99% us
NC State - 60/40 us
KSU - 60/40 us
TTU - 70/30 us
KU - 99% us
@ISU - 40/60 them
Baylor - 70/30 us
@Texas - 50/50
TCU - 50/50
@OK State 40/60 them
OU - 30/70 them

So lets say we get our 2 layups go 3-2 in our favored games, and go 1-2 in our underdog games, that's 6 wins and we have to go 2-1 in 50/50 games to beat the spread. Also have to factor in that if Grier goes down with injury we will lose probably any game left on the schedule save KU/YSU depending on when the injury happens and the length of it.

FWIW, we would have beat the prediction last year had Grier not got injured.

Does the bowl game count in the over/under from Vegas? If it does, I would think our over/under should be 7.5 or even 8.

That said there was no guarantee we beat Texas with Grier, we were not playing well and were still down 7 after the Grier injury. An unlikely pick 6 (D was getting owned all half) kept us from being down 21-0.

Vegas picks WVU to win 6 or 7 every season. This is done because Vegas has a hard time on the over/under for WVU. Betting WVU probably has less money than others so they try to get lower numbers to make others bet on them.
Some see the prediction as fact and bet under or even. Some see the number as to low and bet the over.

These predictions are for gambling and nothing more. Vegas makes money even if WVU wins 7 or not.

Does the bowl game count in the over/under from Vegas? If it does, I would think our over/under should be 7.5 or even 8.

That said there was no guarantee we beat Texas with Grier, we were not playing well and were still down 7 after the Grier injury. An unlikely pick 6 (D was getting owned all half) kept us from being down 21-0.

Actually score was 0-0 and Grier had scored what we thought was a td on the play he got injured on. Reviewed it and determined he fumbled out of end zone. If he hands it to McCoy he scores and Grier stays on field. No guarantees we win but I liked our odds.

Actually score was 0-0 and Grier had scored what we thought was a td on the play he got injured on. Reviewed it and determined he fumbled out of end zone. If he hands it to McCoy he scores and Grier stays on field. No guarantees we win but I liked our odds.

You’re right I just double checked the play by play, not sure why I remembered it different

FWIW, we would have beat the prediction last year had Grier not got injured.
Translation: Had Dana been calling plays we wouldn't have run that stupid bootleg on what 2nd or 3rd down at the 1 Yd line and wrecked the season!

I hope Dana is more in control this season. Friendship cost us a qb and 2-3 wins easy!

Reactions: pressvirginia
Speculation.

That’s what the board is for, right?

Yes, it’s my opinion and no more valuable than anyone else’s. But, some supporting information: Texas lost to Texas Tech six days later. I think we beat Texas at home with a healthy Grier. I also think we beat Utah with a healthy Grier.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
That’s what the board is for, right?

Yes, it’s my opinion and no more valuable than anyone else’s. But, some supporting information: Texas lost to Texas Tech six days later. I think we beat Texas at home with a healthy Grier. I also think we beat Utah with a healthy Grier.

You’re right.... .... but you did reply in a matter of fact (as opposed to opinion) type of manner.

My question is: what would they have set it at if Grier/Sills combo would not have returned? Has our program fallen this far that the top QB and all-american receiving corps and solid in backfield renders us expecting just seven wins?

The sad thing is: I'd have to pass on that bet. I've just seen it too many times over the last 5 years. Start out strong, a little adversity comes our way, and we finish Nov/Dec with 1 win and 3 losses.

I really am hoping this is Dana's year to prove Vegas wrong. And they set the bar so low, if he's ever going to exceed expectations, this is the year to do it.

I give this “woe is we” attempt 2.5 Stars

Better luck next time

I LOVE these type of calls. The Mountaineers thrive as underdogs. I personally have become very optimistic about this season but I'll keep it quiet and just share here with this loving, kind and generous audience.

I LOVE these type of calls. The Mountaineers thrive as underdogs.

Are you sure?

Last year we were 0-5 as underdogs.

.....7-1as favs. That loss as a fav came against Texas after Will’s injury.

Translation: Had Dana been calling plays we wouldn't have run that stupid bootleg on what 2nd or 3rd down at the 1 Yd line and wrecked the season!

I hope Dana is more in control this season. Friendship cost us a qb and 2-3 wins easy!

I think the 26 turnovers and -7 margin cost us 2 to 3 wins more than anything else.

Allen I agree with you in like a Chicken and an egg way but our OC is a knucklehead. He calls the game like a rookie and tries to get way too smart. Dana in his early years was the same way. Dana figured it out. I hope he's more controlling with the offense.

Allen I agree with you in like a Chicken and an egg way but our OC is a knucklehead. He calls the game like a rookie and tries to get way too smart. Dana in his early years was the same way. Dana figured it out. I hope he's more controlling with the offense.

I'm fairly sure the poor turnover margin more likely caused the problems. Offense was worse off 2 years ago, but won more games because the defense was much more hawkish at getting the ball back. Won squeakers because of it. Last year the defense was not nearly as productive at getting the ball back.

Gee, wonder if that's because they're trying to make some money....

Didn't Crawford "score" the play before and it get overturned?

Speculation.

Hmmm isn’t everything speculation until games are actually played. You add so much value honey. Keep up the good work. What line or prop bet from Vegas isn’t speculation? What post on here about next year isn’t speculation?

You’re right.... .... but you did reply in a matter of fact (as opposed to opinion) type of manner.

You’re so annoying sweetheart. I feel sorry for your husband or partner. You must be impossible to live with. Am I right?

Didn't Crawford "score" the play before and it get overturned?

• 1st and Goal at TEX 10
    (5:21 - 1st) Justin Crawford run for 9 yds to the Texas 1

• 2nd and Goal at TEX 1
    (5:09 - 1st) Justin Crawford run for no gain to the Texas 1

Our OOC is on the tougher side, in years past we typically have 2 layups and a 50/50 game and even then we ended up around 7 wins more often than not.

This year without doing a ton of research on how good/bad everyone is, I would say these are our chances

Tennessee - 50/50
YSU - 99% us
NC State - 60/40 us
KSU - 60/40 us
TTU - 70/30 us
KU - 99% us
@ISU - 40/60 them
Baylor - 70/30 us
@Texas - 50/50
TCU - 50/50
@OK State 40/60 them
OU - 30/70 them

So lets say we get our 2 layups go 3-2 in our favored games, and go 1-2 in our underdog games, that's 6 wins and we have to go 2-1 in 50/50 games to beat the spread. Also have to factor in that if Grier goes down with injury we will lose probably any game left on the schedule save KU/YSU depending on when the injury happens and the length of it.
NC State is away..9-4 last year and will be heavily favored.

Hmmm isn’t everything speculation until games are actually played. You add so much value honey. Keep up the good work. What line or prop bet from Vegas isn’t speculation? What post on here about next year isn’t speculation?

I know you have a hard time reading an entire thread (or anything really) before posting a reply but I already addressed my use of the word ‘speculation’.

I’d be speculating if I wrote your reply to this post will be moronic, lame, and misguided.... ....if your posting history didn’t make it look more like a fact.

I know you have a hard time reading an entire thread (or anything really) before posting a reply but I already addressed my use of the word ‘speculation’.

I’d be speculating if I wrote your reply to this post will be moronic, lame, and misguided.... ....if your posting history didn’t make it look more like a fact.

So you have nothing to add haha. Zero value. Again I feel sorry for your partner and/or family. You’re a piece of work Orlaco haha.

NC State is away..9-4 last year and will be heavily favored.

Their 4 losses
9-4 South Carolina
10-3 Notre Dame
12-2 Clemson
8-5 Wake Forest
Beat a 6-6 ASU team in a bowl game

I disagree that they will be heavily favored. They couldn't win their big games. Sounds a lot like WVU. Spread will be 4 to 7 points.

Reactions: countryroads89
I maintain that had Grier not gotten hurt vs Texas he would have declared for the NFL Draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT