ADVERTISEMENT

Utah player offered $1 million from NIL collective to transfer

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
The University of Utah’s Athletic Director stated that one of their players was offered $1 million dollars by a NIL collective to transfer out of Utah.

“We had a player who was offered, I believe, about a million dollars to pull him over to another team,” Utah AD Mark Harlan tells @ByPatForde. “I called that AD and had a discussion.”https://t.co/Hh7N0isDz1
— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) October 18, 2022

“I believe so much in it, I believe it’s the right thing,” Harlan said of NIL. “But it’s difficult to not have an enforcement mechanism when we’re running into someone who is clearly utilizing it, in some form or fashion, as inducement. And we’re not. That’s frustrating.”

BY MICHELLE BODKIN
KSL Sports

That's a huge problem that's only going to continue increasing over time. The rich getting richer concept.

Big doners have always played a role in college athletics, and now they're on the verge of running college athletics.

Maybe we need a salary cap like the NHL and NFL.

If it was NFL rules and as many injuries as WVU has had in the secondary this year they would be busy signing names from the free agency list.

That is bullshit. Thankfully we don't have any players that the big boys want?
Sorry that's my peak football optimism right now.

That is bullshit. Thankfully we don't have any players that the big boys want?
Sorry that's my peak football optimism right now.
They already took the players from WVU they wanted. Why do you think our corners suck so much, besides them being true freshman?

They already took the players from WVU they wanted. Why do you think our corners suck so much, besides them being true freshman?
Agreed, but besides Donaldson, I don't see a line forming to take our players. I'm not sure if that is necessarily a silver lining.

As long as this current economic environment is in place wvu will have a hard time competing and building a program.

We literally have a QB on our roster that has been paid $1m in the past from an SEC school, we are more than capable of putting out a great team every 5 or so years.

What sunk Brown was tying his fate to the success or failure of a QB who was only here because of nepotism. If we had competent QB play the last few years, Brown is probably sitting much more favorably with the fanbase. Like if Dabo Swinney can resist the urge to put his sons in crucial roles for Clemson, then Brown could have wrote Doege a nice letter of recommendation to go QB in the Sun Belt.

Reactions: Hogan's Hero
We literally have a QB on our roster that has been paid $1m in the past from an SEC school, we are more than capable of putting out a great team every 5 or so years.

What sunk Brown was tying his fate to the success or failure of a QB who was only here because of nepotism. If we had competent QB play the last few years, Brown is probably sitting much more favorably with the fanbase. Like if Dabo Swinney can resist the urge to put his sons in crucial roles for Clemson, then Brown could have wrote Doege a nice letter of recommendation to go QB in the Sun Belt.
Nothing but speculation on your part. It takes more than just a qb to win. It doesn't change the fact that any player wvu develops could be poached at anytime by boosters of richer schools. Many are richer then wvu. The team you think you will have next season can be gone in an instant under this new system. The goal should be to have a great team every 3 years or so not every 5 years. You will be lucky to have a great team once a decade under this new system.

He def screwed up the qb situation badly but he must have tried to bring someone in and failed miserably. I just can't fathom him settling for that. And I bet part of that was underestimating how much doege would develop

Nothing but speculation on your part. It takes more than just a qb to win. It doesn't change the fact that any player wvu develops could be poached at anytime by boosters of richer schools. Many are richer then wvu. The team you think you will have next season can be gone in an instant under this new system. The goal should be to have a great team every 3 years or so not every 5 years. You will be lucky to have a great team once a decade under this new system.

We gutted the roster and rebuilt a competent D and an offense that was built to have longer possessions. QB was the missing piece and we stuck with Doege way too long. If a QB like Daniels was on either of the last two teams, the pitchforks are probably shelved for another year or two. Now all of the losing has lead to an exodus and Daniels is basically the only bright spot we have, for whatever reason he decided to come here.

LIKE....COULD HAVE WROTE. What grade did you complete in middle school? Good grief.

We gutted the roster and rebuilt a competent D and an offense that was built to have longer possessions. QB was the missing piece and we stuck with Doege way too long. If a QB like Daniels was on either of the last two teams, the pitchforks are probably shelved for another year or two. Now all of the losing has lead to an exodus and Daniels is basically the only bright spot we have, for whatever reason he decided to come here.
The NIL and Transfer portal are what's gutting the roster. That isn't going to change with the last name of the coach. QB isn't the only problem this team has had over the last couple of seasons. How do you know Brown didn't try and get a new qb. It's not like we end up with NFL type qb's every year. Even the years we have them they rarely elevate the program. Wvu needs running qb's and a system other than the air raid = fairy raid offense.

The NIL and Transfer portal are what's gutting the roster. That isn't going to change with the last name of the coach. QB isn't the only problem this team has had over the last couple of seasons. How do you know Brown didn't try and get a new qb. It's not like we end up with NFL type qb's every year. Even the years we have them they rarely elevate the program. Wvu needs running qb's and a system other than the air raid = fairy raid offense.

When we showed zero progress year 3, primarily because of the QB position, that’s when everyone bailed. If we had won 9 or 10 games last year, IMO we would be in a position where a program like Minnesota finds itself in with regards to player retention.

It will get worse before it gets better. Keep Brown and most bail because they know he’s a lame duck, fire Brown and “his” guys will follow him out.

I agree that we need a different direction. Air raid has mostly been a failure. A program like WVU has to be ahead of the curve with its offensive identity, the second we are doing what everyone else is doing we’re screwed. I suggested the triple option a few weeks ago, we don’t need to go to that extreme, but being different would be beneficial.

Last edited:
I don’t get the air raid label when they run the ball as often and only have success when they go over 100 plus on the ground.
Holgersen came in here with it but had the most success when they were able to run the ball, just like RichRod’s so called spread. That turned out to be 70% run first.
Rick Tricket could turn this all around if he stepped through the door.

The University of Utah’s Athletic Director stated that one of their players was offered $1 million dollars by a NIL collective to transfer out of Utah.

“I believe so much in it, I believe it’s the right thing,” Harlan said of NIL. “But it’s difficult to not have an enforcement mechanism when we’re running into someone who is clearly utilizing it, in some form or fashion, as inducement. And we’re not. That’s frustrating.”

BY MICHELLE BODKIN
KSL Sports
Mid-range schools like Utah and WVU are in the same boat....Utes have never signed a 5 star, despite a number of 5 star in-state prospects (mostly from the large Polynesian community)....they end up signing with Oregon, USC, UCLA. The Utes sign 3 stars from across the country and if they pan out, they transfer. If they don't, they stay.
Without any transfer restrictions, it will just get worse.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Mid-range schools like Utah and WVU are in the same boat....Utes have never signed a 5 star, despite a number of 5 star in-state prospects (mostly from the large Polynesian community)....they end up signing with Oregon, USC, UCLA. The Utes sign 3 stars from across the country and if they pan out, they transfer. If they don't, they stay.
Also there is portal tampering.

Reactions: GhostofGraves
How much will someone offer Donaldson to leave? Imagine how good he would be behind a really good, well above average OL.

If you run a triple option, then only Army and Navy are the schools we have to worry about lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT