ADVERTISEMENT

Uniform branding

Chris from WV

Senior
Jul 5, 2002
We have great school colors, and occasionally WVU puts some nice uniform combinations together for home games . . .

images

But lately, it seems that we wear these stupid white, practice pants for home games.

From a branding perspective, it makes NO sense? Come on Dana, tell the players that we must wear school colors at home.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
School colors for home games. Anything except the yellow on yellow. That is the WORST combo ever.

While we're at it. Change the number font.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
I have said this before and I will say it again.
When you turn on a television you should recognizes the uniforms.

WV shouldn't let NIKE run their program. They try the same thing with Texas and Texas tells them to go f themselves. At the end NIKE needs Texas more than Texas needs NIKE.

Our fanbase freaked out because Texas brought back black socks and cleats for home games.

School colors for home games. Anything except the yellow on yellow. That is the WORST combo ever.

I like the canary look. It reminds me of "canary in a coal mine" and it works across the board.

I don’t like all white or all gold... don’t mind all blue though. As long as we win though they can wear what they want.

Branding is the primary reason Don Nehlen had the Flying WV logo designed, and settled on blue jerseys, gold pants, and blue helmets at all home games, with white jerseys, gold pants, and blue helmets for our away games. He wanted the entire country to recognize WV whenever we were on TV. Nike F*ed that up. We need to tell Nike that we want a recognizable brand, not a box of Crayola colors that change with its mood.

Branding is the primary reason Don Nehlen had the Flying WV logo designed, and settled on blue jerseys, gold pants, and blue helmets at all home games, with white jerseys, gold pants, and blue helmets for our away games. He wanted the entire country to recognize WV whenever we were on TV. Nike F*ed that up. We need to tell Nike that we want a recognizable brand, not a box of Crayola colors that change with its mood.

Very good post
Nike does this to sell more jerseys.
Uniforms didn't help Oregon. What helped Oregon were men like Willie Lyles.

One of the good things about WVU is that they are not big time cheaters. Y'all may do some little things but nothing major.
I don't know why they want to follow Oregon because the Ducks got talent because of bagmen not uniforms.

Last edited:
We have great school colors, and occasionally WVU puts some nice uniform combinations together for home games . . .

images

But lately, it seems that we wear these stupid white, practice pants for home games.

From a branding perspective, it makes NO sense? Come on Dana, tell the players that we must wear school colors at home.
Not a big fan of the yellow helmet, all yellow unis either. Wouldn't mind the white pants if they were trimmed with blue/gold.

I agree that the gold/gold/gold can be a little much, but adding the blue pants was a nice look.

I was ready for the , "back in my day" comment [thumbsup]

Usually these waste of space threads only happen during a bye week.

images

"We're not talking about the game . . . we're talking about white pants, man?"

It's just a branding issue - our colors are old gold and blue and there are many different combinations that do not involve white pants. For example, Penn State's colors are blue and white, for which white pants are appropriate.

Obviously, uniforms do help in recruitment and we should be sensitive to that, but we also need a strong visual brand for West Virginia University.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
It's just a branding issue - our colors are old gold and blue and there are many different combinations that do not involve white pants. For example, Penn State's colors are blue and white, for which white pants are appropriate.

Obviously, uniforms do help in recruitment and we should be sensitive to that, but we also need a strong visual brand for West Virginia University.

C'mon man, you don't actually think White pants are impacting our brand, right?

The Flying WV is one of the most recognizable sports logos in the world, per multiple polls through the years.

I walked into an Olive Garden the other day and the waitress said she liked my Wonder Woman shirt, so maybe not anymore. I live within 30 minutes of martinsburg.

It was definitely a gold flying WV on a blue shirt but if you insist my dude I mean you do know everything and it would be idiotic for me to ever question such an omniscient pool of masculine wisdom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT