ADVERTISEMENT

TV nerds, a question......

WVUCOOPER

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2002
Explain TVs to me. It's for the folks, so I don't need it to be top shelf. 60-65" 4k vs whatever. lED v LCD? One thing I seem to remember was 120Hz being very important, but now I see 60Hz TVs with TruMotion120 "Motion Enhancement Technology"

TL;DR - Are most TVs good enough these days?

PS - will be used solely for streaming

Explain TVs to me. It's for the folks, so I don't need it to be top shelf. 60-65" 4k vs whatever. lED v LCD? One thing I seem to remember was 120Hz being very important, but now I see 60Hz TVs with TruMotion120 "Motion Enhancement Technology"

Here's what I'm getting. It's at Best Buy. It's a TCL 55" with 120Hz. Ratings are through the roof. Plus, when compared to OLED's it's not even close. Much better deal. I already own one TCL and it's very good, but it's 60Hz. On sports, a little bit of fuzziness with high motion. Everything else, PERFECT picture.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-6-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6424672.p?skuId=6424672

EDIT: I do nothing but stream as well. At TCL is built-in Roku. AWESOME!

Reactions: WVUCOOPER

Most TVs are absolutely good enough these days. For LEDs, avoid edge lit though. What you want is full array back lit, or FALD.

OLED is a completely different tech. It is superior to LED but more expensive (although they are more competitive with LEDs now). Also, burn in can happen.

If you were going to game on it or watch 4k UHDs, I’d tell you something different but if you’re only concerned about streaming...I’d look into TCLs. They are a great budget brand that perform well. Sony is always my preference. Avoid Samsungs.

Most TVs are absolutely good enough these days. For LEDs, avoid edge lit though. What you want is full array back lit, or FALD.

OLED is a completely different tech. It is superior to LED but more expensive (although they are more competitive with LEDs now). Also, burn in can happen.

If you were going to game on it or watch 4k UHDs, I’d tell you something different but if you’re only concerned about streaming...I’d look into TCLs. They are a great budget brand that perform well. Sony is always my preference. Avoid Samsungs.

Yes! Same thing I said. TCL is best for budget and don't sacrifice quality.

Most budget TV's handle frame interpolation poorly, and if I'm calibrating a set I turn it off. Needless fluff they advertise to sell to units. CP is correct that you want a full array back lit as opposed to edge lit, but even then some full array's are shit and provide horrible uniformity. OLED is better, especially for off axis viewing, but some of the higher end LCD's can produce outstanding images as well.

Are most TV's good enough these days? It all depends on what you watch, where you watch and how much you watch. Budget sets are okay for bright lit rooms where you watch the occasional Hallmark Christmas movie. But if you have the budget, invest in a better TV.

TV's in somewhat of an order as I would typically recommend.
1) TCL's are good, higher series though.
2) Vizio, P Quantum series.
3) Samsung, Q80's and 90's (Prices will be dropping on the 80's this week.
4) Sony, X950's or A9's (Sales to be had on them as well). There will be black Friday prices, and typically all prices will drop.

Here's what I'm getting. It's at Best Buy. It's a TCL 55" with 120Hz. Ratings are through the roof. Plus, when compared to OLED's it's not even close. Much better deal. I already own one TCL and it's very good, but it's 60Hz. On sports, a little bit of fuzziness with high motion. Everything else, PERFECT picture.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-6-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6424672.p?skuId=6424672

EDIT: I do nothing but stream as well. At TCL is built-in Roku. AWESOME!
I have a couple of OLEDs. I have a LG that is incredible. But if you wanted 4k, but didn't want to pay for the OLED the TCL is the best bang for the buck. I went to a couple of sites and I trust and they both said at the time is the best TV for the money they ever reviewed. I got one for the bedroom a couple of years back, and its been great for what I need it for. I also like the Roku OS. Just recently went from Verizon Fios, cut the cord, and went w/ YouTubeTV. The stream is pretty seamless. There is buffering every once in awhile, but its really not a big deal. I do use Fios for the Gig internet though, which certainly helps w/ the stream speed.

Most budget TV's handle frame interpolation poorly, and if I'm calibrating a set I turn it off. Needless fluff they advertise to sell to units. CP is correct that you want a full array back lit as opposed to edge lit, but even then some full array's are shit and provide horrible uniformity. OLED is better, especially for off axis viewing, but some of the higher end LCD's can produce outstanding images as well.

Are most TV's good enough these days? It all depends on what you watch, where you watch and how much you watch. Budget sets are okay for bright lit rooms where you watch the occasional Hallmark Christmas movie. But if you have the budget, invest in a better TV.

4) Sony, X950's or A9's (Sales to be had on them as well). There will be black Friday prices, and typically all prices will drop.
I understood about 8% of that, but thankful for the rankings. :joy: :joy:

I wanted an OLED so bad but the price killed me (I had to factor in the BB warranty because the fear of burn in would have made me never want to turn it on). Now I’m seeing the 77s going for $3500 (LG) and I’m absolutely sick about it. At that price, I wouldn’t have cared to replace it in 3-4 years if I had burn in.

I ended up with a 85” X950G to replace my 75” X900E. Bought right before stock disappeared in May and the X950Hs were $1500 more. Blooming is eh but I use hue light strips for bias lighting so that helps a ton.

...still want that 77” OLED though. Man I can’t believe the price drop on those this year. You can thank me for buying too early.

I wanted an OLED so bad but the price killed me (I had to factor in the BB warranty because the fear of burn in would have made me never want to turn it on). Now I’m seeing the 77s going for $3500 (LG) and I’m absolutely sick about it. At that price, I wouldn’t have cared to replace it in 3-4 years if I had burn in.

I ended up with a 85” X950G to replace my 75” X900E. Bought right before stock disappeared in May and the X950Hs were $1500 more. Blooming is eh but I use hue light strips for bias lighting so that helps a ton.

...still want that 77” OLED though. Man I can’t believe the price drop on those this year. You can thank me for buying too early.

950's a really good set. Probably the best LCD panel out there IMHO, in large part because they are the only LCD set that does outstanding with wide angle viewing.

The A9G's are reduced in price this week and while we haven't gotten our pricing yet for next week, I'm going to assume they will maintain that pricing until after Thanksgiving, if not dropping it once again. Burn in isn't as bad as the old Plasma days, but I have seen people ruin them from poor use.

I understood about 8% of that, but thankful for the rankings. :joy: :joy:

Sorry, I geek out on AV stuff. One thing that does make work fun sometimes.

Reactions: CpEER

I only go with Samsung......superior picture and higher brightness if needed.
Hope this explains some of your questions.

Last edited:
I only go with Samsung......superior picture and higher brightness if needed.
Hope this explains some of your question.

I really like the Samsung Frame TV's, and have sold a number of them the past year. For the most part I like Samsung as well, my biggest gripe with them comes from a control standpoint.

LG and Samsung are pretty much the standard. there are a lot of cheaper ones out there, but there are reasons why they're cheaper. Here's the thing to remember: when watching cable TV, the providers are only pumping out 4k/30 hertz (bandwidth issues). Everything else is probs for gaming nerds and downloadable stuff. So, if you're just watching TV....60htz or 120 htz is donkey nuts

The Hz part is a refresher rate. The numbers doubles up with 60, 120, 240, etc... Typically, this is important to gamers. I doubt old people (like my parents for example) would be able to tell the difference.

The Hz part is a refresher rate. The numbers doubles up with 60, 120, 240, etc... Typically, this is important to gamers. I doubt old people (like my parents for example) would be able to tell the difference.

For Broadcast TV it doesn't matter. The broadcasters are sending you 4K/30..and it's compressed and it's going to be that way for a long time.

For Broadcast TV it doesn't matter. The broadcasters are sending you 4K/30..and it's compressed and it's going to be that way for a long time.

It matters on the type of content you watch. 120Hz is used because it is a multiple of 24fps as well as 30/60fps. 24fps is the standard for film based content, so you want a TV that can handle 24fps content well.

Gamers want variable refresh rates, which is what the new HDMI standard calls for. That allows TV's to adjust refresh rate on the fly to match the gaming content.

Reactions: indyrckstar
It matters on the type of content you watch. 120Hz is used because it is a multiple of 24fps as well as 30/60fps. 24fps is the standard for film based content, so you want a TV that can handle 24fps content well.

Gamers want variable refresh rates, which is what the new HDMI standard calls for. That allows TV's to adjust refresh rate on the fly to match the gaming content.

This ^^^^^^^

I love my TCL, but got 60Hz and sporting isn't smooth on it. I had a 15 year old Plasma that was awesome, but it was time for a new one. I'm going to get the 55" TCL 120Hz this winter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT