ADVERTISEMENT

Ticket scalping what's the worst you have benn burned?

wvu1962

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2008
Since it is slow right now I would like to hear people's experiences being burned ticket scalping at events.

Most of the scalpers on game day in Morgantown are from Pittsburgh.

The funniest getting burned story was when my buddy tried to go to a penguins playoff game. The playoff game tickets were not dated they just had numbers as in game number of the series. My buddy was pre gaming and encountered an enterprenure on the street who showed him the tickets very quickly he bought them for what he thought was a good price well little did he know he bought tickets to the previous game by the time he realized it the entrepreneur was long gone as was his $200 he gave him for 2 tickets.

I have never been burned but my ticket group once burned a scalper by accident. We had some extra tickets left over one year for a 1-aa season opener. This was the early 2000s. I think the opponent was UT-Chattanooga. The next home game was another non conference easy win like East Carolina or someone like that. The game was not heavily attended and we had leftovers.

We sold the leftover UTC tickets to the scalpers and left the extra East Carolina tickets at the office. Realized it only after the game when someone ask why we did not try to sell the extra East Carolina tickets. Only got like $5 a piece for them, but didn't feel bad cause it was an honest mistake on our part and those hustlers hustle.

Since it is slow right now I would like to hear people's experiences being burned ticket scalping at events.

Most of the scalpers on game day in Morgantown are from Pittsburgh.

The funniest getting burned story was when my buddy tried to go to a penguins playoff game. The playoff game tickets were not dated they just had numbers as in game number of the series. My buddy was pre gaming and encountered an enterprenure on the street who showed him the tickets very quickly he bought them for what he thought was a good price well little did he know he bought tickets to the previous game by the time he realized it the entrepreneur was long gone as was his $200 he gave him for 2 tickets.
Most of the time i buy tickets off the secondary sites like stub hub seat geek and vivid seats. Those sites have there fair share of service charges but usually you can get the more expensive seats at cheaper than face value.

The craziest one I ever heard of happened in the old PAC-10 days in the mid-80's. It involved two Australian guys in L.A. buying season tickets to UCLA and USC football games. When they would get the tickets, they would send them back to a buddy who managed a print shop in Oz, who ran off a couple of hundred of each set for a cut, and sent them back. They would head off to two stadiums on game day and sell them off. They had their initial cash layout covered after the first game.

If it wouldn't have been for that pretty boy Aikman packing them in at UCLA, those two likely would still be at it. Instead they spent a lil' time in jail. Yet another reason to hate Troy Aikman.

I wasn't burned but I remember buying scalped tickets for my gf and I at the Pitt game in 2002. Bought them a little before kickoff so the markup was $10 or $20 per ticket but was just happy to have them since we were on the cusp of being Gator Bowl bound. Anyway, it was gusty that day and I wasn't holding onto my ticket very tight and it blew away from me, maybe 4 feet or so. I picked it up and this Pitt douche said "hey, you have my ticket!". I told him nice try but he insisted that I let him see it so that he could "check". I told him to f*** off and he huffed and stormed away. I still hate VPISU more than any other rival but Pitt runs a close second, even now.

I wasn't burned but I remember buying scalped tickets for my gf and I at the Pitt game in 2002. Bought them a little before kickoff so the markup was $10 or $20 per ticket but was just happy to have them since we were on the cusp of being Gator Bowl bound. Anyway, it was gusty that day and I wasn't holding onto my ticket very tight and it blew away from me, maybe 4 feet or so. I picked it up and this Pitt douche said "hey, you have my ticket!". I told him nice try but he insisted that I let him see it so that he could "check". I told him to f*** off and he huffed and stormed away. I still hate VPISU more than any other rival but Pitt runs a close second, even now.

Pitt sucks. Always have always will.

If you wait until after the kickoff, then you can get them for very very very low price.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT