ADVERTISEMENT

Throwing away the season because of a victimless crime?

bEER...he violated the current rules and his punishment will be minor relatively speaking in the big picture...a bit of herb is not the end of the world but to call it a 'victimless crime' is quite frankly ....nonsense. I would think he'll learn from the whole experience, stuff like responsibility, and accountability....especially to his teammates.
The problem is the rule and law needs to change, not JH. I am assuming he was caught smoking the weed. I am also assuming this was not the first time he smoked it this season. He is having a great season. Maybe we should make it mandatory for all our players if it will give them the drive and hustle that JH plays with! The real point is that it is perfectly legal for a 21 year old to buy alcohol but not that evil marijuana. Never heard of anyone overdosing on weed but quite a few have died from alcohol.

I keep hearing that kids will be kids and that weed is okay. NEWS FLASH - kids have to live up to their responsibilities
or pay the consequences - Holton is learning that painful lesson. He wasn't ambushed - pure and simple he did not
live up to his responsibilities.

Fine, but he's not answerable to you or anyone else on this board. He's got his coach and teammates.

If Holton were smart he'd just head to the bar and take 10 shots and then shotgun a bunch of beers, puke everywhere and let his roommates drag him to the toilet to sleep for the night - he wouldn't get in trouble for that.

I bring you the unsanctimonious rule breaker...who does this guy think he is anyway?
MidLife.jpg

LOL - Keyboard Christians.

A plant that is safer than alcohol, tobacco, red bull, caffeine, fast food, Tylenol + any other medication, sugar, playing football, red meat, etc. I could on all night.

I see good chance of 4 game losing streak coming up, at least a 4 game.

Swamp- thought it was hard to beat UF down there with Holton? Without Holton? No chance.

ISU- Hilton Magic+ no Holton = Iowa State running away.

Baylor at home = they are very athletic/lengthy, can rebound, got a few shooters, etc. We need rebounds but unless Devin Williams gains confidence, we will get outrebounded significantly. Not to mention our record vs Baylor since WVU entered Big 12 hasn't been that good. Even that 1 year before Big 12 entry, they beat WVU in that Las Vegas tournament.

Kansas in Lawrence, no chance of a win. With or without Holton. They just simply almost win every game there especially against conference teams.

We all know losing streaks are hard to climb out of. Only silver lining is that WVU already has 17 wins so they should be able to sneak in the NCAA Tournament as a 7/8 seed.

"victimless crime"?

Seem to me that there are a lot of victims: the coaches, his teammates and Mountaineer Nation.

I'm sure that didn't help....

What if Jon Holton is high as a kite every day?

What if getting high is more important than actually going to class and making just a reasonable effort at course work?

What if this kind of thing has been addressed before and Jon Holton's personal views on weed allow him to rationalize all kinds of irresponsible behavior?

What if Jon Holton sees his role on the basketball team as being so important that, despite things like those listed above, he just assumes no one will actually call him on the carpet?

I have no idea what the larger immediate story with Holton is and my guess is that most people don't either.

But this guy has a track record of stupidity. We'll just have to wait and see how this works out.

Reactions: imamteer
I'll never judge anyone for doing drugs, but you need to be aware of the repercussions and realize you aren't a regular student, you are a scholarship athlete and you have an obligation to your teammates and coaches. Especially when you have a shady past like Holton, he should know better.

I hear the heroin trade is good money maker in WV.
I see no logical explanation for why WV hasn't already legalized Marijuana since our infrastructure is a pile of poop. From potholes to no plows and everything in between. it's never a good day to drive in WV. They have no money, they gotta find other revenue streams than raising taxes on everyone else.

With the number of WVU "legends" that smoke a little weed, it's shocking we haven't seen more of these suspensions.

Reactions: torontoeers
It's easy to see which people in this thread are potheads. We all have our habits....

This issue really isn't about dope and if it should be legal. It's about self discipline. As I wrote earlier, if he is suspended for failing a drug test ( marijuana) then this is most likely not a first offense.. ...so it's more than a single bad decision and he knew he was on a watch list. A first offense is something like a phone call to the parents or guardian.

It's easy to see which people in this thread are potheads. We all have our habits....

This issue really isn't about dope and if it should be legal. It's about self discipline. As I wrote earlier, if he is suspended for failing a drug test ( marijuana) then this is most likely not a first offense.. ...so it's more than a single bad decision and he knew he was on a watch list. A first offense is something like a phone call to the parents or guardian.

Sure - but if we are testing the self-discipline of 18-22 year old males, who also happen to be elite athletes in a college town known for partying...IMO, we shouldn't expect anything less.

I'll never judge anyone for doing drugs, but you need to be aware of the repercussions and realize you aren't a regular student, you are a scholarship athlete and you have an obligation to your teammates and coaches. Especially when you have a shady past like Holton, he should know better.

Yep - And those athletes face 50X more temptation that a normal students does, and when they fail (and they all do) there's no shortage of old men who gleefully run to the internet to shame them (see above examples).

I was a student at WVU. I worked in the bars. I knew tons of the athletes, they are just normal kids. They'll mess up. The difference is their mishaps get presented to the world - and because they can play a sport, it somehow makes it worse?

Unfair, IMO.

BTW - Before anyone attempts to spout-off examples of players who never got in trouble...they just didn't get caught.

Hail..................we all know why they call it DOPE. Yes, I have smoked about a boxcar load of the stuff................but I still know why they call it DOPE!

Americas sweetheart, Joe Mazzulla punched a cop at PNC and pulled a girl by the throat out of a bar......

Pittsnogle "don't pay for pizza" at Casa.....

Jock Sanders and Nate Adrian got DUIs

Pat White's room was raised in Towers freshman year for drugs....

We.are.a.party.school...... There is, unfortunately no escaping a great time in Morgantown, WV

Abusing girls and skipping out on food bills are not party school prerequisites.

Getting busted (most likely multiple times) for a failed drug test doesn't forecast a bright future. .....and it has nothing to do with the actual use of recreational pot.

Last edited:
Abusing girls and skipping out on a food bills are not party school prerequisites.

Getting busted (most likely multiple times) for a failed drug test doesn't forecast a bright future. .....and it has nothing to do with the actual use of recreational pot.

Seems guys like Slaton, Devine, and Pat did ok

Difference is they didn't have a coach with integrity

Seriously though...... This is not a big issue.

Abusing girls and skipping out on a food bills are not party school prerequisites.

Noted - And your opinion matters.

A plant that is safer than alcohol, tobacco, red bull, caffeine, fast food, Tylenol + any other medication, sugar, playing football, red meat, etc. I could on all night.

Swamp- thought it was hard to beat UF down there with Holton? Without Holton? No chance.

Baylor at home = they are very athletic/lengthy, can rebound, got a few shooters, etc. We need rebounds but unless Devin Williams gains confidence, we will get outrebounded significantly. Not to mention our record vs Baylor since WVU entered Big 12 hasn't been that good. Even that 1 year before Big 12 entry, they beat WVU in that Las Vegas tournament.

Kansas in Lawrence, no chance of a win. With or without Holton. They just simply almost win every game there especially against conference teams.

We all know losing streaks are hard to climb out of. Only silver lining is that WVU already has 17 wins so they should be able to sneak in the NCAA Tournament as a 7/8 seed.
do Colorado players get suspended for a drug that is legal in their state?

bEER, did you ever consider the possibility that it might be "throwing away the season" if Holton was NOT suspended for a violation of team rules?

Last edited:
No idea why college or professional players cannot smoke weed, assuming they are 18 or older especially in football. The punishment players receive on Saturdays and Sundays is crazy. I guess people prefer the players to kill their livers/stomach with Tylenol or another medication. And let's not kid ourselves, basketball is a physical demanding sport, too.

There is no such thing as a weed problem but there damn sure is a pill problem in this country. A pill for everything! Headache? Take a pill. Backpain? Take a pill. Erectile Dysfunction? Take a pill. Birth control? Take a pill. A cold? Take a pill. Allergies? Take a pill. Stomach ache? Take a pill. Need help with sleep? Take a pill. Need help to gain energy? Take a pill. Want to lose weight? Take a pill. Any of these pills give you a side effect? There's a pill for that!

But no to a harmless plant. FDA gotta make that cash! Big Pharma gotta make that cash! A plant that has been used for thousands of years. Only deemed bad about 60 years ago by the Government. And with the propaganda about Marijuana by the Government, people have gobbled up that like turkey on Thanksgiving. It does explain how government propaganda is so effective and can also explain how the German people were so easily persuaded by Joseph Goebbels.

LOL - Good for you.

And let me guess, you also wouldn't cheat on your wife if Kate Upton offered you head or break the speed limit if you drove a Lamborghini?

It's easy to make hypothetical decisions from your Lazy Boy.

There's never a shortage of sanctimonious ass-hats when a young black basketball player breaks the rules....odd.
lol.........what a moron response by a juvenile.

Also a pretty darn good question....

Weed is illegal for anyone under 21 and amendment 64 still allows employers to test for marijuana and to terminate employment for positive test results. The only guarantee under the law is that recreational sales are allowed and Colorado law enforcement cannot prosecute for possession under 1 ounce. I don't know what the university of Colorado's official policy is regarding this but their was a case in the Colorado supreme court pertaining to a medical marijuana patient who was fired for positive results and the Colorado supreme court upheld the employers right to fire so the university of Colorado could discipline for marijuana consumption if it wanted too

Really? No chance to win any of these 3 games? You are being dramatic. If others step up, we'll
be ok. Put Ahmad at that spot in the press with a little Adrian and we need to make shots/3s.

I do agree with that. But I still always thought we had a fighting chance against UF, ISU, and Baylor. Now, there's no chance unless Devin can find his game like he was playing earlier in the season. I'm just really worried the team is going to fall into a dark place and lose all confidence especially when there are no cupcakes in this league to help the men to tasting victory again and building confidence.

LOL - Good for you.

And let me guess, you also wouldn't cheat on your wife if Kate Upton offered you head or break the speed limit if you drove a Lamborghini?

It's easy to make hypothetical decisions from your Lazy Boy.

There's never a shortage of sanctimonious ass-hats when a young black basketball player breaks the rules....odd.
Dang Darth...you are the epitome of someone who tries to use extremes to pigeon hole everyone or every situation. Why are you judging people based upon your values? Not everyone lives by your code, values, or beliefs. Whether your a Christian, and athiest, or just a regular Joe...you might have a set of values that says "I don't do drugs and cheat on my wife." The point you're trying to make is that this poster is on a high horse or sanctimonious...but you don't know his or anyone else's set of values - and to bring race into is just another pot stirring, add drama to it low blow. People were having the same conversation on here when Noah Cottrill was doing his thing.

Dang Darth...you are the epitome of someone who tries to use extremes to pigeon hole everyone or every situation. Why are you judging people based upon your values? Not everyone lives by your code, values, or beliefs. Whether your a Christian, and athiest, or just a regular Joe...you might have a set of values that says "I don't do drugs and cheat on my wife." The point you're trying to make is that this poster is on a high horse or sanctimonious...but you don't know his or anyone else's set of values - and to bring race into is just another pot stirring, add drama to it low blow. People were having the same conversation on here when Noah Cottrill was doing his thing.

I don't care what his values are (or what he pretends they are), I'm not the one judging Holton - one fan said we were all victims of his crimes, LOL.

When a young player gets in trouble, there's nothing more predictable than the chain of anonymous, old men who rush to the internet to shame the kid and pontificate what they'd do if they were the player - a pure fantasy for them.

Seems guys like Slaton, Devine, and Pat did ok

They did ?
I don't care what his values are (or what he pretends they are), I'm not the one judging Holton - one fan said we were all victims of his crimes, LOL.

When a young player gets in trouble, there's nothing more predictable than the chain of anonymous, old men who rush to the internet to shame the kid and pontificate what they'd do if they were the player - a pure fantasy for them.

....and then their are the people who excuse players simply because they are athletes...

They did ?

....and then their are the people who excuse players simply because they are athletes...

Really? Who did that?

I'm sure you're right though. There are those dopey mega-fans out there like we saw at FSU and UNC who cover-up rule/law breaking to protect athletes. I'm sure WVU has a few of them but it seems Huggins is handling this situation appropriately and fairly.

BTW, if you're thinking I'm excusing Holton you're wrong. He has a coach and teammates he's accountable to. I simply don't judge him and yes, I do have empathy for him and I won't apologize for that - it's a fine human quality that most folks don't seem to have anymore.

Perhaps you or others have lived a life free of regret. I haven't so you won't hear any lectures from me, or laughable fantasies of what I would do if I were Holton.

He is an intellectual midget who uses character assassination as a means to debunk someone's argument. As if pointing out someone is an alcoholic is effectively refuting his claim that water is wet. I suggest the ignore feature.

He is an intellectual midget who uses character assassination as a means to debunk someone's argument. As if pointing out someone is an alcoholic is effectively refuting his claim that water is wet. I suggest the ignore feature.

I'm the one person NOT attacking Holton's character.

Its not victimless. Use of it perpetuates its unfortunate place as part of our society. Most potheads I know are much less likely to make valuable contributions to society than those that don't smoke it. Potheads are much more likely to drain from society than those who don't smoke it.

Really? No chance to win any of these 3 games? You are being dramatic. If others step up, we'll
be ok. Put Ahmad at that spot in the press with a little Adrian and we need to make shots/3s.
You don't know Don. All he is about is being overdramatic. That's why he's grandstanding for his right to party and using Holton violating the team rules he agreed to abide by as his crutch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT