ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on b-ball team

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Just a guess on my part, but it sounds as if WVU will employ multiple defenses this year including the press, man to man and zone. My guess is that this is based on the combination of skills on the team, We have players that can press while others cannot. We have players you want on the court but may not be very good in man to man situations. And we have those that can effectively guard man to man.

I have read that Huggs wants to play Oscar and Culver at the same time and that he is experimenting with some zone defenses to do just that. Perhaps Oscar, as a 4, is not yet equipped on the perimeter to guard opposing 4's. Just a guess on my part. Likewise Huggs has said we will press but it will not be a staple of our defense as it has in the past. I assume this is due to the type of talent on this team.

I think those that can press and will likely be in the game when we do are Culver, Oscar, Gabe, Matthews, Sherman, McBride and perhaps Haley. Not enough depth to press for 40 minutes. But these players may be able to return us to very effective presses for limited spots during games.

I assume Huggs is teaching the point drop zone with which he is most comfortable. Would love to see us somehow deploy the pack line. I am sure he will also use the 1-3-1 at times. I have never loved this zone under Huggs as we seem to allow too much penetration and kickout into the corners for easy 3's. But he has more length and athleticism to make the 1-3-1 more effective if taught well.

The key question is will Huggs tire of the zone quickly or really give it time to improve? He is not the most patient coach, lol. I prefer man to man but we may not have the talent to play it for entire games. Should be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News