ADVERTISEMENT

This is how I would like to move forward … highly unorthodox

Mustang.65

All-Conference
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2005
Brookfield, WI
My idea is to hire high-profile figure, like Nick Saban, (listen I know we can never hire Saban) as a "special consultant" or "president of football operations" at West Virginia University is certainly unconventional, but it carries potential. It would be both a bold and innovative move:

Bringing in someone like Saban or another experienced coach could offer WVU a new perspective and much-needed leadership without directly firing Neal Brown and paying the massive buyout. A special consultant could help reshape the program’s strategy and culture, particularly if the consultant has had a proven track record of building championship teams.

I do not think we are in a position paying a $13 million buyout that would be financially taxing for the donors, this workaround could allow WVU to keep Brown in place but minimize his influence by shifting decision-making and football operations to the consultant. This model could also be structured to allow the consultant to mentor and replace the current coaching staff where needed helping them improve without completely starting over.

If a football legend or highly respected figure takes on this role, it could also boost recruiting efforts and help improve the overall reputation of the program, potentially making WVU more competitive in the Big 12.

Although this approach would be different from past examples like Bill Stewart’s transition under Dana Holgorsen, the idea of a high-level football executive (similar to a "president of football operations" in the NFL) guiding a college program isn’t entirely outlandish. Some professional teams use a similar structure to keep stability while still bringing in new strategic leadership.

While this would save on the buyout, bringing in a consultant like Saban or another high-profile figure could still be costly. However, the costs might be justifiable compared to the long-term expenses of a buyout and hiring a new coach outright.

While the idea of a football operations president works in the NFL, it hasn’t been widely tested in college football, where head coaches traditionally hold a lot of power over the entire program.

This would require a creative contract negotiation that allows the consultant to have significant authority but not overlap too much with Brown’s duties.

To avoid conflict we must clearly define the role of Neal Brown, the new consultant, and the athletic department. While there’s a risk that Brown may resist working under someone else due to potential power struggles, he would need to understand that the consultant has the final authority. Brown might argue that Wren already holds that responsibility, but the idea here isn’t to replace Wren. Instead, the consultant would be someone highly respected within the football industry, with the authority to shape the program without directly taking on the role of head coach. Think of it as a sort of reverse “ Saban rehab” for the consultant, where they are fully responsible for the program’s direction, without getting into the day-to-day coaching.

Of course my ramblings are highly unorthodox, it could serve as a middle ground that prevents WVU from needing to overhaul the program while still bringing in an experienced figure to help guide the football team in a more successful direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.