ADVERTISEMENT

This damn Big 12 games are all the same...nobody plays

Tonycried2

All-Conference
Jun 25, 2008
a lick of defense with the possible exception of TCU and KSU but seems these tilts are more akin to track meets than football. I guess just bet the over on every game and watch the scoreboard blow up! Fun games though.

I have to admit that WVU didn't play much D on Saturday. Big problems to fix on that side of the ball.

I have to admit that WVU didn't play much D on Saturday. Big problems to fix on that side of the ball.
Unless your D-Line simply had a bad game on Saturday, I'm afraid to tell you you're going to have matchup problems for teams that can pound the rock. Not only will they run over you, but they'll eat up the clock, keeping Grier off the field. That's not a good recipe for success. The good news is that it appears most teams in the Big 12 are pass happy, with the exception of Oklahoma, who definitely can run the ball. Not sure about TCU or K-State, but I figure they can as well. All road games too, right? I think WVU ends up 8-4 when all's said and done. Will likely win one of those big three games, and then drop one they shouldn't against someone else. I think they hold serve at home.

Unless your D-Line simply had a bad game on Saturday, I'm afraid to tell you you're going to have matchup problems for teams that can pound the rock. Not only will they run over you, but they'll eat up the clock, keeping Grier off the field. That's not a good recipe for success. The good news is that it appears most teams in the Big 12 are pass happy, with the exception of Oklahoma, who definitely can run the ball. Not sure about TCU or K-State, but I figure they can as well. All road games too, right? I think WVU ends up 8-4 when all's said and done. Will likely win one of those big three games, and then drop one they shouldn't against someone else. I think they hold serve at home.
Taking ISU out of the mix, wouldn't be surprised to see WVU lose every game from here on out...but wouldn't be surprised to see them win every game either! Seems like these Big 12 games come down to has the ball last with 2:00 minutes to play! WVU can score on anybody in that league but the reverse is also true!

Unless your D-Line simply had a bad game on Saturday, I'm afraid to tell you you're going to have matchup problems for teams that can pound the rock. Not only will they run over you, but they'll eat up the clock, keeping Grier off the field. That's not a good recipe for success.............

I hate to agree with you on anything, but IMHO our run defense has big time problems. I saw signs of it against Delaware St. and Kansas exploited it. As long as Grier stays healthy we will be able to put points on the board. My concern is that our D will allow more points than our O can overcome.

How's that for an honest opinion ?

I hate to agree with you on anything, but IMHO our run defense has big time problems. I saw signs of it against Delaware St. and Kansas exploited it. As long as Grier stays healthy we will be able to put points on the board. My concern is that our D will allow more points than our O can overcome.

How's that for an honest opinion ?
Totally right opinion from what I've seen...I knew KU could play a little offense but Jayhawks would be helpless on defense, I offered that to somebody on the board that WVU and the over 69 was the play. But, honestly Buzz we could say that for every Big 12 game from here on out. BU hasn't won a game yet and couldn't stop Liberty or UT-SA but even the Bears are capable of outscoring somebody in the league. If I were a Mountie fan ( not saying I am or not saying I'm not) I'd just buckle up and enjoy these shootouts!

.........BU hasn't won a game yet and couldn't stop Liberty or UT-SA but even the Bears are capable of outscoring somebody in the league......

They gave Oklahoma more than they were wanting this past weekend. In fact they put up 4 scores more than Ahia State could muster against the OU defense.

If I were a Mountie fan ( not saying I am or not saying I'm not) I'd just buckle up and enjoy these shootouts!

I think I've got a pretty good handle on which team you're a fan of but I won't say.............................and as far as enjoying the shootouts, I enjoy watching every Mountaineer game, win or lose. WVU is and always will be my team, unless Dickrod would somehow find his way back to the WVU sidelines. In that case I think I'd join the ranks of the Herdiots.

They gave Oklahoma more than they were wanting this past weekend. In fact they put up 4 scores more than Ahia State could muster against the OU defense.

I think I've got a pretty good handle on which team you're a fan of but I won't say.............................and as far as enjoying the shootouts, I enjoy watching every Mountaineer game, win or lose. WVU is and always will be my team, unless Dickrod would somehow find his way back to the WVU sidelines. In that case I think I'd join the ranks of the Herdiots.
Hahahahahhahhha...better chance of seeing Trump and Hillary having lunch together at some fashionable Greenwich Village bistro than seeing the Rich and Rita show back in Morgantown! BU will outscore somebody this season, I'm sure every team just hopes it not them!

I'm not bailing on this defense just yet. I think it can be a middle of the pack B12 D by year's end. WVU was not motivated to play last Saturday (no excuse for that), and we basically played the second team D all afternoon. Bye week came at a good time for this D. David Long's return will help with pressuring the QB, get our safeties healthy, and you'll see a better product on the field in Ft. Worth. Not sure that'll be good enough though. TCU looked like a solid to very good team in all phases last Saturday. I'd say we're between an 8-10 pt. dog. I don't think TCU can rely on K. Hill to win games with his arm though.

I'm not bailing on this defense just yet. I think it can be a middle of the pack B12 D by year's end. WVU was not motivated to play last Saturday (no excuse for that), and we basically played the second team D all afternoon. Bye week came at a good time for this D. David Long's return will help with pressuring the QB, get our safeties healthy, and you'll see a better product on the field in Ft. Worth. Not sure that'll be good enough though. TCU looked like a solid to very good team in all phases last Saturday. I'd say we're between an 8-10 pt. dog. I don't think TCU can rely on K. Hill to win games with his arm though.
Couch, "middle of the pack Big 12 defense" loosely translated means WVU only gives up 40 points a game! But that may be enough to win plenty of games!

Couch, "middle of the pack Big 12 defense" loosely translated means WVU only gives up 40 points a game! But that may be enough to win plenty of games!

That's relative, Tony. Only 40 in the B12? Not many B10 or SEC schools have the offenses the B12 contain. WVU would not be giving up nearly as many points(potentially) in another conference. If we only give up 40 to Oklahoma or Ok St.... We have a chance.

That's relative, Tony. Only 40 in the B12? Not many B10 or SEC schools have the offenses the B12 contain. WVU would not be giving up nearly as many points(potentially) in another conference. If we only give up 40 to Oklahoma or Ok St.... We have a chance.
I think that's true!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT