ADVERTISEMENT

the Moooooo needs to make up $1.6M in lost revenue, so........

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
from Chuck's column... today

How is Marshall's athletic department going to cope with this? Cutting corners is one thing. But a decrease of this severity goes way past corners. Besides, the result of cutting corners is cutting quality.

That's what we're really looking at.

As far as salaries, Jack Bogaczyk recently retired from his duties in Marshall's Sports Information office, which included Director of Publications and
HerdZone.comcolumnist.

Then, Carly Weisenbach announced Friday she was leaving as Marshall's Associate Director of Sports Information to accept a position at the University of Pittsburgh. Weisenbach was the sports information liaison for the MU men's basketball program.

Will either be replaced? Maybe not.

Rich Worner(UCF) left as Marshall's football equipment manager on Jan. 15 and still hasn't been replaced. Also, Tara Helton recently departed as Director of Academic Counseling in the Buck Harless student-athlete program.

There also isn't any chance to make up some of the revenue loss by selling beer next football season. The Board of Governors tabled that measure during a meeting last week.

Final analysis? It's very bad.

S U B S I D Y I N C R E A S E ... currently @ 43%

http://www.marshall.edu/2020/files/...tics-at-Marshall-University_April-13-2016.pdf

2015-2016
Self-Generated Dollars $15.4M (57%)
and
Institutional Support $11.8M (43%)
equals
Total Athletics Budget $27.2M (100%)

so, for 2016-2017, the Institutional Support will increase by at least $1.6M and Self-Generated Dollars will decrease by the same.

so, just using these numbers...
S-GD will become $13.8M
IS will become $13.4M
TAB...the same $27.2M

49.26%

the 49ers...

Last edited:
S U B S I D Y I N C R E A S E ... currently @ 43%

http://www.marshall.edu/2020/files/...tics-at-Marshall-University_April-13-2016.pdf

2015-2016
Self-Generated Dollars $15.4M (57%)
and
Institutional Support $11.8M (43%)
equals
Total Athletics Budget $27.2M (100%)

so, for 2016-2017, the Institutional Support will increase by at least $1.6M and Self-Generated Dollars will decrease by the same.

so, just using these numbers...
S-GD will become $13.8M
IS will become $13.4M
TAB...the same $27.2M

49.26%

the 49ers...
The subsidy decreased by about 700k

How is Marshall's athletic department going to cope with this? Cutting corners is one thing. But a decrease of this severity goes way past corners. Besides, the result of cutting corners is cutting quality.

As far as salaries, Jack Bogaczyk recently retired from his duties in Marshall's Sports Information office, which included Director of Publications and
HerdZone.comcolumnist.

Then, Carly Weisenbach announced Friday she was leaving as Marshall's Associate Director of Sports Information to accept a position at the University of Pittsburgh. Weisenbach was the sports information liaison for the MU men's basketball program.

Rich Worner(UCF) left as Marshall's football equipment manager on Jan. 15 and still hasn't been replaced. Also, Tara Helton recently departed as Director of Academic Counseling in the Buck Harless student-athlete program.

There also isn't any chance to make up some of the revenue loss by selling beer next football season. The Board of Governors tabled that measure during a meeting last week.

Here's a link to the entire article which WVU82 summarized pretty accurately, but scroll down and read the comments. One comment even suggests that Marshall could have been the Boise State of the east......... . They never have been all that in anyones eyes but their own.http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_7158cb9a-b237-5b4c-b14f-28dc6ed5e709.html

Boise State... the king of ...Idaho... lol

should change their name to Potato State...

Like Tony Caridi said, 'Marshall is dying..' Dom Perignon taste, on a PBR budget. Difficult to do with virtually no fan base, no alumni support, and no national, regional, or state appeal.

This is the end... beautiful friend....This is the end, my only friend, the end....

Too bad ol' Jim is dead. He could sing that song at The Moan, sorta like John Denver did for Country Roads at Mountaineer Field.

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
Like Tony Caridi said, 'Marshall is dying..' Dom Perignon taste, on a PBR budget. Difficult to do with virtually no fan base, no alumni support, and no national, regional, or state appeal.

This is the end... beautiful friend....This is the end, my only friend, the end....

Too bad ol' Jim is dead. He could sing that song at The Moan, sorta like John Denver did for Country Roads at Mountaineer Field.

I was there for the opening of Mountaineer Field when John Denver sang Country Roads. The last time I was there was last year at the Maryland game when Brad Paisley sang the same song. Good times.

Reactions: BurninDownTheCouch

HerdZone.comcolumnist.

They should have a bake sale

So true. I told Tony it was delusional to think the state would continue to provide full funding for their turd of an athletic department. Maybe they could get a Doors cover band to play at the UL game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT