ADVERTISEMENT

The good and the bad

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
We won a game we had to win. It was ugly for much of the game, but a win is a win and this was a must win game.

Cottrell played more than he has in any game before. Pauly loafed down the court and got benched. Carrigan did nothing. Cottrell is become a little more active. He shot it poorly but good got looks. He blocked 3 shots. He will never be physical and we need more offense from him but he is coming along slowly. He has got to start to hit those elbow jumpers and he really needs to develop a left hand.

McNeil was more aggressive in finding his shot. He's our best 3 point shooter and we have to remind him that we are better when he shoots 3's. He took over for Taz when we most needed it.

Gabe was so important. Did a little bit of everything. Seemed like he took 10 charges. We could not stop their penetration and kick-outs but Gabe did a great job of slowing that down a bit. I am going to hate to see him graduate. Team MVP in all that he does.

Taz is still showing the effects of Covid. Not himself today. Hurt us on two late possessions. He has earned a pretty (for him) mediocre game.

We saw good PG play from KSU. That is one of our weaknesses. Keddy and Curry have roles they can fill and both did have their moments today. Keddy had two very nice drives in the second half. I hope he becomes more aggressive in taking it to the hoop. Curry can score in on the drive and had some key buckets. Neither is a distributor or a good 3 point shooter.

Kobe had 5 quick points to help us climb back into the game. His 3 point shot is like Bridges, more of a set shot than elevating and extending.

Bridges disappeared for much of the game. His lack of physicality showed up again. As did his timidity. I was really hoping for back to back good games from him.

Absolutely dreadful first half. Play like that in most other Big 12 games and we lose it going away. We simply don't have the talent to let down for even a second. And we are back to being a team without a 3rd scorer. Either Brides or Cottrell have to step into that role. At this point, Cottrell is showing a little more progress and I hope that continues. He has a long way to go but his form looks good, the shots are simply not falling. Still, coming back from 17 down to win is very good. This is a game where rabid fans will feel bad about how the team played and still be thrilled with the win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News