ADVERTISEMENT

the electric vehicle lie... EVs ... Lithium ...Copper ...UAW ...toxic waste ...pollution ...charging stations ...40,000 child slaves in Congo

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
True costs of fueling an electric vehicle, including excess charging costs and subsidies, is equal to $17.33 per gallon of gasoline, a new analysis found.

Last edited:
Reactions: roadtrasheer
Foreign Electric Vehicle Manufacturer Recalls Entire First Batch of Cars Shipped to US Over Serious Safety Issue

A Vietnamese carmaker’s entry into the American electric car market has hit a pothole, with all of the first batch of vehicles sent to the U.S. under a recall notice.

VinFast’s VF 8 vehicles suffer from an issue with the multifunction head unity display, which is the dashboard display. At times, the unit goes blank.

“A blank MHU display will not show critical safety information, such as the speedometer or warning lights,” the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned.

The VF8, an SUV, sells for $49,000, according to the Kelley Blue Book.

Vietnam’s electric vehicle maker VinFast is recalling some of its first vehicles sold in the US because of malfunctioning head unit displays https://t.co/uqjgLlb5Oq
— Bloomberg (@business) May 25, 2023

“Typically, a minor issue with an infotainment unit wouldn’t be cause for major concern. However, this issue was elevated in the case of the VF8 because the display is the only screen in the vehicle,” Lewin Day wrote for TheDrive.

“As it is used in place of a traditional gauge cluster, it displays critical information like vehicle speed and warning lights. Thus, the failure of the display is considered a safety issue.”

Day noted that the software update to fix the glitch could be problematic.

“The fix for the issue is an over-the-air software update. It consists of a watchdog mechanism that determines if the communications error has occurred and reinitializes the head unit’s software if so. VinFast reports that the update can rectify the issue in under 200 ms. That’s long enough for the human eye to perceive the screen momentarily blanking, so some owners may not consider this a perfect fix,” he wrote.

* #US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: “[#Vinfast] VF8 SUV may increase the risk of a crash.”
* New Car Assessment Program in SE Asia: “VF 8- very safe, received the #ASEAN NCAP 5-star safety rating.”

The NHTSA report on the problem said 999 vehicles were involved in the recall, of which 111 had been bought by customers and another 153 were in use for fleets. The problem took place on vehicles made between July 27 and Nov. 25.

“VinFast is aware of 18 reported occurrences on 14 vehicles. Of the 18 occurrences, 8 occurred while the vehicle was in park, 5 occurred while the vehicle was not in park, and for 5 of the occurrences, the position of the shift selector lever was not reported,” the report said.

The report said that the glitch came to the company’s attention on April 27, triggering an investigation that led to the voluntary recall notice being issued on May 12.

“VinFast is not aware of any field reports of incidents. The company is issuing this recall out of an abundance of caution,” the company said in a statement, according to Reuters.

In February, VinFast had recalled 2,781 of the vehicles sold in Vietnam due to a front brake issue.

VinFast began selling EVs in California this year and has sent 2,097 VF8 cars to the U.S. The recalled cars made up the first batch sent.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Reactions: atlkvb
The dirty little secret about EV's is they're more expensive to purchase, more expensive to drive and maintain, less efficient, less practical, and actually more harmful to the environment than ICE vehicles. Any objective analysis of the facts in side-by-side comparisons between the two clearly bears this out, but the "narrative" is EVs represent our future so let's get on with them. 😏

However when actual motorists were asked which mode of transportation they prefer...EV's were NOT in their immediate future, nor their preferred choice!

7 in 10 Americans prefer ICE vehicles to EVs

excerpt:
The takeaway that ICE vehicles aren’t going anywhere soon backs up a comment made by GM Global Aftersales Mechanical Engineering Director Jennifer Goforth in November during the OEM Collision Repair Technology Summit session on EVs at the 2021 SEMA Show. She said that while the company plans to launch 30 new EVs by 2025, ICE vehicles will continue to be an essential part of the fleet for at least 20-30 years

Last edited:
F31UAU8XcAA2YJk

The dirty little secret about EV's is they're more expensive to purchase, more expensive to drive and maintain, less efficient, less practical, and actually more harmful to the environment than ICE vehicles. Any objective analysis of the facts in side-by-side comparisons between the two clearly bears this out, but the "narrative" is EVs represent our future so let's get on with them. 😏

However when actual motorists were asked which mode of transportation they prefer...EV's were NOT in their immediate future, nor their preferred choice!

7 in 10 Americans prefer ICE vehicles to EVs

excerpt:
The takeaway that ICE vehicles aren’t going anywhere soon backs up a comment made by GM Global Aftersales Mechanical Engineering Director Jennifer Goforth in November during the OEM Collision Repair Technology Summit session on EVs at the 2021 SEMA Show. She said that while the company plans to launch 30 new EVs by 2025, ICE vehicles will continue to be an essential part of the fleet for at least 20-30 years

After driving a Tesla back in February, I've decided I'll be getting one probably next year. Has nothing to do with it being electric (well it does to a point, the gearless drivetrain makes a difference) it's all on how comfortable a drive it was for me and the features it offers.

Elon Musk knows how to engineer the shit out of stuff.

The problem the left has with EV's is they're not realistic about recharging. In my case, I have no problem installing a rapid charger in my garage myself. However, drive down any street in America where there are no garages and people are parking on the street, and you'll see homes that can not support an electric vehicle without it becoming an inconvenience. Not to mention the lack of proper grid infrastructure necessary to transition all vehicles to electric.

Overtime, they will become the norm, as storage technologies improve and become more efficient and longer lasting, but they're not there yet, and won't be for another 5 to 10 years at the earliest.

After driving a Tesla back in February, I've decided I'll be getting one probably next year. Has nothing to do with it being electric (well it does to a point, the gearless drivetrain makes a difference) it's all on how comfortable a drive it was for me and the features it offers.

The problem the left has with EV's is they're not realistic about recharging. In my case, I have no problem installing a rapid charger in my garage myself. However, drive down any street in America where there are no garages and people are parking on the street, and you'll see homes that can not support an electric vehicle without it becoming an inconvenience. Not to mention the lack of proper grid infrastructure necessary to transition all vehicles to electric.

Overtime, they will become the norm, as storage technologies improve and become more efficient and longer lasting, but they're not there yet, and won't be for another 5 to 10 years at the earliest.
20 years is what I’m hearing.

Don't know if you read it, but earlier ITT I linked to a study that found most drivers still prefer ICE vehicles for a lot of the reasons you stated. I can understand what you said about the difference and "feel" driving the EV. First time I drove one, I couldn't believe how quickly and effortlessly it accelerated and maintained speed. However just as you pointed out, it's not very practical particularly on long trips because of the charging issues.

I do believe engineers will eventually solve the charging problems, and batteries are already gaining more range. To me the real issue is finding cheaper ways to generate the additional power we'll need for an all EV fleet, particularly if we're not using fossil fuels.

20 years is what I’m hearing.

That's probably more realistic.

Don't know if you read it, but earlier ITT I linked to a study that found most drivers still prefer ICE vehicles for a lot of the reasons you stated. I can understand what you said about the difference and "feel" driving the EV. First time I drove one, I couldn't believe how quickly and effortlessly it accelerated and maintained speed. However just as you pointed out, it's not very practical particularly on long trips because of the charging issues.

I do believe engineers will eventually solve the charging problems, and batteries are already gaining more range. To me the real issue is finding cheaper ways to generate the additional power we'll need for an all EV fleet, particularly if we're not using fossil fuels.

If engineers can develop something like Graphite Batteries, something that can be produced on a mass scale, and charging an EV would take 5 minutes as opposed to 45 minutes, then it would be a practical solution for everyone. I would never take one on a long drive, as just driving around Palm Springs, which is an EV haven, was a worry about finding charging stations if needed. Tesla makes it easy to do, if they're in your area, but it's still a pain.

That's probably more realistic.

If engineers can develop something like Graphite Batteries, something that can be produced on a mass scale, and charging an EV would take 5 minutes as opposed to 45 minutes, then it would be a practical solution for everyone. I would never take one on a long drive, as just driving around Palm Springs, which is an EV haven, was a worry about finding charging stations if needed. Tesla makes it easy to do, if they're in your area, but it's still a pain.
Agreed. As I mentioned above, advances are being made also with Lithium Ion battery technology so the durability after a charge is steadily increasing. I still believe the ultimate roadblock going "all EV" involves additional power generation.

We simply have not developed a low cost abundant alternative energy generation source that produces the additional kilowatts we need to power an all EV fleet! With misguided policies like "elimination of all uses of fossil fuels by 2035" I see no way we can have a reliable replacement for the additional power demands an all EV fleet requires.

Until or unless we solve that dilemma, ICE vehicles will remain an important component of our transportation infrastructure for the foreseeable future.

I've been trying to point this out on this forum for the past two and half years! This is the "dirty little secret" about EV's...now folks who own them and are trying to trade them are facing a rude awakening. No one wants a pre-owned EV for exactly this reason...especially if the car fax shows the battery has been replaced which is the main reason folks want to trade (to keep from losing their investment because of one battery)

It's the untold "gotcha" behind the EV push.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Also to go just a bit beyond what was posted earlier in the thread about the difficulty trading pre-owned EV's which have had their expensive batteries replaced, there is this untold factor about EV resale values overall: They depreciate much faster than ICE vehicles!

Here's why:

The truth behind the terrible resale value of EVs

excerpt:
EVs typically lose more than $5,700 per year, for the first five years on average, and will end up costing owners about $28,500 in five years. Compare this to a gas-powered car, which typically loses less than $3,200 per year or $16,000 over five years. The reality is that for most EV owners, depreciation is an expense that has to be factored into your purchase decision

other key factors:

one of the main factors that leads to depreciation are incentives given to new EV owners to help them buy their vehicle in the first place.

The second factor is demand. Although interest in electric cars is rising swiftly, that has not topped sales of regular fuel-powered cars

The third factor is battery capacity. EV batteries are notorious for having a limited lifespan, which affects a car's value if it is not kept in pristine condition. (see #post #29)

So again, EVs are NOT the cash saving alternatives they're being promoted as...when you factor in how impractical most of them remain for the transportation needs of the vast majority of the driving public, it does make you wonder why the all out push to move us away from ICE vehicles and into these money losers?

Last edited:
My final bit of advice to those of you who are giving serious consideration to making an EV purchase....don't. If you must...lease either brand new or even better a pre-owned EV instead on a closed end lease (where the depreciation value is pre-set). You may pay more over the term of the lease than the vehicle is actually worth, but as long you don't exceed wear and use limits written into the lease, any further depreciation of the vehicle is on the lessor and you can simply walk away at the end of the term when you hand them the key. You are not responsible for replacing the expensive battery (typical after only a few years) and you're not stuck eating the depreciation of the vehicle had you purchased it on a traditional legacy term note.

excerpt:
The other way to save money is to lease instead of buying. Some states push for Zero emissions mandates. That makes leasing an electric car comes open to many built in bargains. They subsidize the resale of EVs too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT