ADVERTISEMENT

The Bob Huggins podcast is out

Few points:

1. Says he had visited a back doctor, took some medication, then was driving back home and stopped to see some friends in Pittsburgh. Had a few drinks. Was driving home and was in an unfamiliar part of town and was confused.

2. Says that he knew where he was and was "joking" with the officer in reference to the Columbus, Ohio statement. Says the school jumped on that lie to justify their stance.

3. Says he's been sober over 140 days.

4. Says that the WVU Athletic Department was in talks with his wife, said that if he didn't resign they would lose "all benefits", and that it was his wife that was in talks with the University about his resignation. He still claims that he does NOT remember actually resigning. (Mentions this several times that he doesn't "think" he resigned)

5. Says that he never got an opportunity to talk to anyone in the Athletic Department to explain his side of the story and his remorse for what he did.

6. He continues to say "I just want to coach".

7. Says several at the University have stated that his situation "could have been handled differently". And that it was a knee-jerk reaction by "a few people".

8. Says that he has done wrong things, and admits to it. Says he has done many more good than bad and that he should have been given an opportunity to at least talk to the Athletic Department and the University.

9. Says he understands the frustration of WVU fans who blame him. He also says that some of the people that are tearing him apart have done "worse things".

10. Says that he never had a lawsuit against the University. That those reports were a complete lie. He loves WVU and would not do that. Says that reports on ESPN were "too lazy" to actually call him and ask him about a lawsuit. And uses his attorney's letter as proof because it stated "Bob Huggins does not seek litigation.....he just wants to resolve this situation".

11. Says that the misinformation out there is coming from the people that wanted him out as head coach and used this opportunity to do that.

12. In closing, the hosts congratulating Huggs on his first "radio host" show to which Huggs replied "I'd much rather be a ball coach". To me, this sounds like Huggs will coach again somewhere soon.

EDIT: My Take
Huggs sounds very remorseful, but so do most people after they do something stupid and get caught and face consequences. It sounds like he is wanting to coach again, and sounds like he wants it to be at WVU. It sounded like it hurt him a lot for Wren Baker to cast judgement and quick actions against him after all that he has done for the university. Sounded (to me) that he was resentful for this "outsider" to be the one that was going to decide his fate and not even listen to his side of the story or what he thought would be the rightful actions taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUBRU
Thanks for the summation. I will remain a Huggs fan but I do support the decision that he needed to be removed from WVU coach. I hope he does go somewhere and coach again if that is something he wants.

Thanks for the summation. I will remain a Huggs fan but I do support the decision that he needed to be removed from WVU coach. I hope he does go somewhere and coach again if that is something he wants.
Well, me too. I blame Huggs for what he did. He should have been punished. But if what he was saying is legit and accurate (his side of the story), I don't like how this went down at all. Baker pretty much made the decision, didn't allow the employee (Huggs) to give his side of the story. I do believe that for all the good that Huggs has done for the University, he deserve and EARNED the opportunity to try and save his job.

Well, me too. I blame Huggs for what he did. He should have been punished. But if what he was saying is legit and accurate (his side of the story), I don't like how this went down at all. Baker pretty much made the decision, didn't allow the employee (Huggs) to give his side of the story. I do believe that for all the good that Huggs has done for the University, he deserve and EARNED the opportunity to try and save his job.
He was told he had one more chance after his improper comment. He gets a DUI soon after. He doesn't deserve to represent the university any longer. We can agree to disagree.

He sounded remorseful and someone willing to accept the responsibility for his actions until the end where he finally said basically they were waiting for the right opening to fire him and took it. Those are my words, not his, but that didn’t sound like someone taking responsibility for their actions. That said, I’ve felt all along that the good has outweighed the bad and the university could have easily moved forward with him. Not surprised anymore by decisions made by my alma mater.

He sounded remorseful and someone willing to accept the responsibility for his actions until the end where he finally said basically they were waiting for the right opening to fire him and took it. Those are my words, not his, but that didn’t sound like someone taking responsibility for their actions. That said, I’ve felt all along that the good has outweighed the bad and the university could have easily moved forward with him. Not surprised anymore by decisions made by my alma mater.
Gee was definitely waiting for the right chance to fire him and Bob gave it to him but nobody should underestimate just how big a pile of shit Gordon Gee is and how much WVU needs to separate itself from that dwarf ass hat

Bob wanted WVU leadership to handle the situation better and for good reason. Gee is an idiot who has run WVU into the ground. Bob Huggins is a Hall Of Fame coach and basketball legend worldwide.

Its sad but also funny to see a lot of WVU fans take such a wussy stance on Huggins lol. I bet most of the Huggins haters never even sniffed a WVU campus in their life. Just a bunch of southern WVians who love getting their pantys in a bunch....

Reactions: Titleist
If this season goes off the rails they will reinstate him if he continues to appear sober IMO. Him being on the airwaves basically lobbying for his job back is going to be a constant theme and hot topic among our fans especially if we are losing.

Doesn't sound like he is willing to accept responsibility if he is lamenting the forced resignation. That is the just ending for his actions. I do not buy the joking with police nor does he address why a cooler with beer and empties were found in his vehicle. I wish he was still the coach at WVU and we got to see what maybe one last ride with a decent roster of talent on paper may have become. However I cannot and it is solely because he did something very much worth his termination and it solely on him. He has no one to blame but himself for why he is no longer coach and he can only lament that the University didn't take it easier on him than they should have.

Doesn't sound like he is willing to accept responsibility if he is lamenting the forced resignation. That is the just ending for his actions. I do not buy the joking with police nor does he address why a cooler with beer and empties were found in his vehicle. I wish he was still the coach at WVU and we got to see what maybe one last ride with a decent roster of talent on paper may have become. However I cannot and it is solely because he did something very much worth his termination and it solely on him. He has no one to blame but himself for why he is no longer coach and he can only lament that the University didn't take it easier on him than they should have.
He accepted responsibility. His argument was that he never had a sit-down, face-to-face meeting with Baker or Gee, and that the university contacted his wife and negotiated with her on a resignation, not him. He said he refused to resign. He said multiple times that he was willing to take punishment, go to rehab, anything needed to keep coaching.

Sounds to me like an alcoholic who was in a blackout and doesn't really remember what happened. That's understandable and pretty common for long time heavy drinkers. The problem is that despite his having not had a drink in over four months he appears to remain in denial about the seriousness of his problems and his responsibility for them. That's a recipe for another disaster in the future unless he accepts his problems and stops minimizing and blaming others for them. I hope he can become honest with himself and do what's needed to move on with his life without alcohol but this kind of finger pointing and apparent lack of acceptance of his problems does not bode well for the future. I wish him luck.

If this season goes off the rails they will reinstate him if he continues to appear sober IMO. Him being on the airwaves basically lobbying for his job back is going to be a constant theme and hot topic among our fans especially if we are losing.
He's not sober, he's just not drinking and there's a big difference.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Gee was definitely waiting for the right chance to fire him and Bob gave it to him but nobody should underestimate just how big a pile of shit Gordon Gee is and how much WVU needs to separate itself from that dwarf ass hat
Huggs is the real pile of shit apparently...unless you agree with his behavior and lack of responsibility?

Bob wanted WVU leadership to handle the situation better and for good reason. Gee is an idiot who has run WVU into the ground. Bob Huggins is a Hall Of Fame coach and basketball legend worldwide.

Its sad but also funny to see a lot of WVU fans take such a wussy stance on Huggins lol. I bet most of the Huggins haters never even sniffed a WVU campus in their life. Just a bunch of southern WVians who love getting their pantys in a bunch....
I, for one, am a WVU grad, a donor, and someone who worked for years with WVU sports. I also knew Huggs when he was a student...like the guy...and loved his contributions when sober. He is now an old, mean spirited, drunk who somehow sees himself as a victim. Time to move on.

He accepted responsibility. His argument was that he never had a sit-down, face-to-face meeting with Baker or Gee, and that the university contacted his wife and negotiated with her on a resignation, not him. He said he refused to resign. He said multiple times that he was willing to take punishment, go to rehab, anything needed to keep coaching.
Well he should have led by example.

I, for one, am a WVU grad, a donor, and someone who worked for years with WVU sports. I also knew Huggs when he was a student...like the guy...and loved his contributions when sober. He is now an old, mean spirited, drunk who somehow sees himself as a victim. Time to move on.
The only reason it's time to move on from Bob Huggins is because his coaching has been lacking the last few years. This is a man who came to WVU, knowing that he would be the one raising the money himself to make our facilities up to par. That man busted his ass for this school and put his heart in it and he's also a local. Morgantown and WVU was the number one party school in the country for a long time back in the day. He's a Hall of Fame coach and the pathetic leadership at WVU should have recognized that and did everything they could to end his career in a good light. Suspended indefinitely would have bought them time to have a good Exit Plan for Bob that everyone agreed on. But they're f××××g stupid. WVU doesn't have a lot of Hall of Fame anything, and at the end of the day it's much better for the school in the state to do whatever it takes to end it well with that man. But sadly it didn't happen

They knew drunken Bob would throw a temper tantrum which is why they went to June.

The only reason it's time to move on from Bob Huggins is because his coaching has been lacking the last few years. This is a man who came to WVU, knowing that he would be the one raising the money himself to make our facilities up to par. That man busted his ass for this school and put his heart in it and he's also a local. Morgantown and WVU was the number one party school in the country for a long time back in the day. He's a Hall of Fame coach and the pathetic leadership at WVU should have recognized that and did everything they could to end his career in a good light. Suspended indefinitely would have bought them time to have a good Exit Plan for Bob that everyone agreed on. But they're f××××g stupid. WVU doesn't have a lot of Hall of Fame anything, and at the end of the day it's much better for the school in the state to do whatever it takes to end it well with that man. But sadly it didn't happen
Bob could have killed someone. Who cares about the hall of fame? They let too many people in anyway. He never even won a national championship which should be a prerequisite.

Bob could have killed someone. Who cares about the hall of fame? They let too many people in anyway. He never even won a national championship which should be a prerequisite.
You can kill someone every time you speed or text while you drive or run a red light. He didn't kill anyone. His driving has no effect on his coaching career.

That's a moot point because it didn't happen. None of us were there but people want to draw their conclusions and dramatize. If you want to talk about the dangers of drunk driving let's talk about how many drunk drivers there are every single night that don't even get pulled over. I grew up in Morgantown and I can guarantee you on a Saturday night at least 80% of all of traffic were drunk drivers probably more. I'm not advocating drinking or drunk driving I'm just saying the double standard is ridiculous and the media always wants to make things or dramatic when they should not be. It sucks to see people buy into it on one of our own people.

I don't buy that either. Bob never officially refuted the resignation until well after it was public for 3 or more weeks. I can't imagine a reasonable explanation exists to account for that time gap. Akum's razor principle here is that by far the most likely situation is Bob is guilty of drinking while driving and a DUI more egregious than the average DUI. Bob was rightly going to be fired, but was given the opportunity to resign in order to save some face. Most likely with the amount of support he found he still had in the aftermath, he came up with a plan to retroactively defend his behavior and push for reinstatement.

Agreed that he's done a lot and loves being being a Mountaineer, however he has reverted back to being an old, mean spirited drunk who brought this on to himself. He is the reason he's out of coaching. Wish him well but not at WVU. He single handedly destroyed the program. The administration did the right thing. Sad ending but just.

That's a moot point because it didn't happen. None of us were there but people want to draw their conclusions and dramatize. If you want to talk about the dangers of drunk driving let's talk about how many drunk drivers there are every single night that don't even get pulled over. I grew up in Morgantown and I can guarantee you on a Saturday night at least 80% of all of traffic were drunk drivers probably more. I'm not advocating drinking or drunk driving I'm just saying the double standard is ridiculous and the media always wants to make things or dramatic when they should not be. It sucks to see people buy into it on one of our own people.
You're starting to whine and cry. Unbecoming.

He’s also very likely saved lives with donations towards cancer research and such. Not to mention kids who he has helped mold into productive members of society.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
He’s also very likely saved lives with donations towards cancer research and such. Not to mention kids who he has helped mold into productive members of society.
Means what? Killers aren't killers until they kill. One thing doesn't excuse the other. He is paying the price and still can't see that he caused this mess. Administration had the balls and did the right thing.

You're starting to whine and cry. Unbecoming.
I see it the exact opposite. I believe people are whining and crying about Bob Huggins because he's not politically correct and drinks too much. He has always been a grumpy coach. He hasn't destroyed Mountaineer basketball he has brought it to another level. I believe the game has passed his style of coaching by and it's the main reason we've been needing to move on. I'm just 100% against doing it for these other reasons. The radio incident was stupid and pick one of the zillion DUI's that happened all the time and which ones the worst. Just stupid. In the old days people didn't react this way and I would prefer to have those days back. You have been wanting him gone a while now, but if he were a young upcoming coach coming off an elite 8 appearance I have zero doubt you would feel differenly...

Last edited:
Huggins just needs to say his peace and leave. Most people have already formulated an opinion on this matter one way or another. Nothing he says will change anyone's opinion. He will never coach here again and if he decides to pursue another coaching job then good luck to him.

Reactions: WVUBRU
85e03x.jpg

I see it the exact opposite. I believe people are whining and crying about Bob Huggins because he's not politically correct and drinks too much. He has always been a grumpy coach. He hasn't destroyed Mountaineer basketball he has brought it to another level. I believe the game has passed his style of coaching by and it's the main reason we've been needing to move on. I'm just 100% against doing it for these other reasons. The radio incident was stupid and pick one of the zillion DUI's that happened all the time and which ones the worst. Just stupid. In the old days people didn't react this way and I would prefer to have those days back. You have been wanting him gone a while now, but if he were a young upcoming coach coming off an elite 8 appearance I have zero doubt you would feel differenly...
You are wrong. I wanted him to succeed in spite of a mounting mountain of evidence that he no longer could win, develop, or retain talent. I knew Bob as a player and student. He has regressed to being a ...drunk. As someone who has lost someone to a drunk driver ...there us no excuse for his continued behaviour. There is no discussion. He jumped into the abyss on his own. Not a question of his wins and losses.

You are wrong. I wanted him to succeed in spite of a mounting mountain of evidence that he no longer could win, develop, or retain talent. I knew Bob as a player and student. He has regressed to being a ...drunk. As someone who has lost someone to a drunk driver ...there us no excuse for his continued behaviour. There is no discussion. He jumped into the abyss on his own. Not a question of his wins and losses.
He has been a drunk a very long time, and it has been widely accepted. You have your own personal reasons for not wanting him around and that is understandable. I dont feel the same. I think he should have been on the hot seat for his coaching only and that should have happened 5 years ago. The radio incident wasnt an incident at all, except a bunch of wussies made it so. The DUI is a bigger deal, but it was handled in a way where it should and probably will come back to haunt WVU in a big way. Growing up in party central, I'm pretty much immune to DUIs though. Most of the people I know has probably had one, and the others just got lucky. If all of those folks lost their jobs for it, a lot of folks would suffer. I dont see how any side benefits from it.

He has been a drunk a very long time, and it has been widely accepted. You have your own personal reasons for not wanting him around and that is understandable. I dont feel the same. I think he should have been on the hot seat for his coaching only and that should have happened 5 years ago. The radio incident wasnt an incident at all, except a bunch of wussies made it so. The DUI is a bigger deal, but it was handled in a way where it should and probably will come back to haunt WVU in a big way. Growing up in party central, I'm pretty much immune to DUIs though. Most of the people I know has probably had one, and the others just got lucky. If all of those folks lost their jobs for it, a lot of folks would suffer. I dont see how any side benefits from it.
I grew up in Morgantown as well. It's a shame you seem to accept drunks driving as a normal, ok, way of life. It's not. Very few of my friends did that...and even then it wasn't habitual.

I grew up in Morgantown as well. It's a shame you seem to accept drunks driving as a normal, ok, way of life. It's not. Very few of my friends did that...and even then it wasn't habitual.
Honestly I can see why folks on here would think that, but really I hate it. I tried as best as I could to avoid driving weekends at night when I lived in Morgantown. I Knew Too Many people driving around drunk and a lot of the people I went to high school with have duis. I delivered pizzas when I was younger so I did have to deal with stupid shit pretty frequently. I saw too much. My point is that there's a bigger issue that needs addressed. I can't articulate it cuz I can't even put my finger on it. I just don't think whatever we're doing is working. I don't think firing Huggins will work. Or anyone for that matter. I'm not an expert in such things but it could be a mental health thing. When I was young WVU had the reputation as a party school and people wore that on their sleeve. It's Beyond accepted there its more like a way of life the further in time we get! I don't know what the answer is but it's sad to see because morgantown's pretty cool otherwise. Or used to be, before the liberal weenies took over.

I am a Bob Huggins fan all the way. He should have been fired and was. I have no problem with the decision.

Agree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT