ADVERTISEMENT

Texas loses and you would think the world had stopped

I guess this is supposed to get us through till 3:30 p.m. Saturday when WVU and Texas kick off in Austin. Maybe.

I know one thing that NO ONE can dispute: By midnight Saturday, after WVU plays Texas and Oklahoma plays Texas Tech, we'll all be smarter. With egg on our face or bragging about our brains.

Till the next week when college football will scramble the picture again. With FIVE weeks to go, we already are down to 3 teams that count that are unbeaten -- Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame -- and history tells us that all might go down before the Football Final Four. And that no more than 1 will be unbeaten going onto that hallowed ground.

So I guess we'll just wait to watch the dominos fall in the next 5 weeks (including conference title games) and then see which 3 or 4 1-loss teams play for the national title.

Sure makes for great entertainment, though, doesn't it? I love it!

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E liminate Texas from first place in Big 12

E rectile dysfunction TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Win or lose I am expecting a great game.
Hopefully both teams bring their A game and Grier and Ehlinger show the world that they are both future first round picks.

But.......
A lot of that talent Texas has doesn't get on the field.
I think WV's starters on both sides of the ball matchup with Texas pretty well

Like I said the issue for WV will be QB play. Grier needs to play his best game of the year. Ehlinger needs as well for Texas to win.
Ehlinger is improving week to week. Some of the throws he made last week like the TD pass to Andrew Beck are NFL level throws.

But.....
When Texas blitzes Grier has to be make plays with his feet by either running or hitting the open WR.
This has been something that is missing from his game.
Grier's B game is better than Ehlingers A game. If they both play their A game WVU wins by two scores. Grier plays his best game of the year, it will get ugly.

Grier's B game is better than Ehlingers A game. If they both play their A game WVU wins by two scores. Grier plays his best game of the year, it will get ugly.

Agreed but Grier's A game will be an F if the offensive line doesn't play their best A+ game of the year. That will be the real test.

Agreed but Grier's A game will be an F if the offensive line doesn't play their best A+ game of the year. That will be the real test.

WV is a lot better than last year at controlling the LOS.
But Will Grier has some question marks to his game.
Not just talking about his inability to turn negative plays into positive yards.
But....
With certain coverages and more so being accurate with the short to mid range throws.

The guy has a cannon and his deep ball may be only second to Drew Lock.

But very much like Lock it is the other parts of their game that get both QBs in trouble.

Grier will have to check down and take what's given to him. Nothing wrong with 3 yard gains. Sometimes, you'll break it for longer. But WVU's gonna have to strengthen up their A gap protections this week or Grier will be headed to the sidelines quickly.

WV needs to get Texas to move their Safeties.
The deep ball only opens up if the safeties are out of place.
Another reason why WV is better at the 35 yard line than the 5 yard line.
Safeties dont have to worry about WR going over them on the 5.

WV uses two plays to go over the top.

The run. WV needs to break big runs. This is harder said than done because Grier is not a part of the run game

The other is the WR pass to the flat. If a WR can break this run then the Safety collapses.
So Grier when feeling it will fake a pass to the flat to get the S to slow down and then he goes over the top.
Issue with this play is both Texas corners Boyd and Davis are very good at keeping containment

No need to troll because for the most part Texas fans remain pessimistic and combustible towards any failure.

On the other hand I think WV are overly optimistic and when reality sets in they tend to believe that they deserve better.

turning. ESPN said the world has come to a crashing end. That plus Tom Herman almost crying during his post game interview. I believe he has a little poor loser in him. I believe he was crying in the locker room. He sure looked like it

At least he cared about the season and his team if he did unlike our HC who has basically settled for being mediocre his whole career here and getting embarrassed by a Iowa St team.

At least he cared about the season and his team if he did unlike our HC who has basically settled for being mediocre his whole career here and getting embarrassed by a Iowa St team.

I wouldn't call it that.
Herman is under pressure to win.
The nest egg of recruits he has can go to LSU, OU, aggy or Arkansas.

More than that his team has developed his personality.
Some things Herman did upset the people in Austin. You win or lose with class. His display was borderline tasteless.

Even with that if Herman and his coaching staff can control that anger they can finish strong. That anger can easily become self destructive as players start pointing fingers and former players start pointing fingers .
If there is not ownership by Tom Herman and the players of their mistakes they can easily lose control of the team.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
We win that one and we may be in the Football Final Four.
“May be” is right. But I think there are several more likely scenarios where an 11-1 WVU is left out. WVU would probably need ND to lose a game or Clemson or Alabama to lose two games plus UM and OSU to lose two games. 11-1 WVU may leap frog a 12-1 WSU. Then again, maybe not.

I wouldn't call it that.
Herman is under pressure to win.
The nest egg of recruits he has can go to LSU, OU, aggy or Arkansas.

More than that his team has developed his personality.
Some things Herman did upset the people in Austin. You win or lose with class. His display was borderline tasteless.

Even with that if Herman and his coaching staff can control that anger they can finish strong. That anger can easily become self destructive as players start pointing fingers and former players start pointing fingers .
If there is not ownership by Tom Herman and the players of their mistakes they can easily lose control of the team.
Herman seems immature to be the HC of a major program. His sideline antics did not begin this Saturday. He mocked Missou’s freshman QB in the bowl game last year. One would think that beneath a UT HC. Also his philosophical Of Mice and Men presser after the Maryland loss seemed to arise from a place of insecurity.

Herman seems immature to be the HC of a major program. His sideline antics did not begin this Saturday. He mocked Missou’s freshman QB in the bowl game last year. One would think that beneath a UT HC. Also his philosophical Of Mice and Men presser after the Maryland loss seemed to arise from a place of insecurity.

Mizzou was a different story...

Missouri was acting like Texas was trying to dodge them. The SEC media claimed that Texas was going to play in Orlando and Oklahoma St was going to play in Houston so Texas didn't have to play Missouri.
Missouri fans bought into this and came to Houston carrying the SEC banner like they were a football power.
The trash talking from Missouri players, media and fans before the game was what caused Herman's reaction and the players reaction.

A&M was putting out spin that players were abandoning the program and the locker room hated Tom Herman.

Herman used the bowl game to gain control and respect from the team.

Drew Lock was a junior last year and only people who were upset by it were Mizzou fans.

It was funny and entertaining to watch the SEC message boards turn on Mizzou after that game.
They pretty much pumped up a lap dog to be kicked in the mouth.

He really showed his ass last weekend.

Herman is a manipulator.
Most college coaches are but some are better at it than others. He has not reached the point that he is a General and controls the emotions of the team plus puts everyone in position to have success.
But.....
The leadership of the team is 100% behind him.
The issue becomes like I said if those players tap into that anger. WV must not just match the intensity but they need to top it because Texas is at home. The other side of the situation is if that team feeds the hunger of the fanbase.

It could really be a great game if WV refuses to lose as well. Especially at the QB position.

Herman is a manipulator.
Most college coaches are but some are better at it than others. He has not reached the point that he is a General and controls the emotions of the team plus puts everyone in position to have success.
But.....
The leadership of the team is 100% behind him.
The issue becomes like I said if those players tap into that anger. WV must not just match the intensity but they need to top it because Texas is at home. The other side of the situation is if that team feeds the hunger of the fanbase.

It could really be a great game if WV refuses to lose as well. Especially at the QB position.
Manipulator or spoiled child? From a leadership perspective, he could not have set a worst example. Being a sore loser and showing your ass is what he did on Saturday. Hopefully he learns from this and can show much more class this weekend.

Don't be so insecure.
Will Grier is a great QB. Nothing against him but Sam Ehlinger was a Top QB out of HS and was coached under QB guru Todd Dodge in HS.

More than that he has really progressed as a passer.
He is the complete passer. Will Grier may have a great arm but the other areas he is well below average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT