ADVERTISEMENT

strange, new world of recruiting.

The Dunedein

All-Conference
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2003
One of my kids received a letter today from a college coach. It contained a flyer for the school describing the successes of the program. The letter said the coach would like "to invite you to become a member of the recruitment class of 2026.". [graduates high school in 2022]. Had to temper kid's enthusiasm, thought it was an offer. i explained that they've only done one interview and no unofficial or official visit yet, just an awkward phrasing of desire to check each other out.

Reactions: Airport
One of my kids received a letter today from a college coach. It contained a flyer for the school describing the successes of the program. The letter said the coach would like "to invite you to become a member of the recruitment class of 2026.". [graduates high school in 2022]. Had to temper kid's enthusiasm, thought it was an offer. i explained that they've only done one interview and no unofficial or official visit yet, just an awkward phrasing of desire to check each other out.
While true. They want it to sound as close to an offer as they can without actually offering.

Most kids aren't officially "offered" until at least their position coach and usually the Head coach get a good look at them on film. After that, usually more intense "scrutiny" interviewing other H.S. coaches, H.S. counselors, teachers, parents & sometimes personal visits to see the kid play. all that's often followed up by evaluations at summer camps and/or AAU competitions, and hopefully an on campus visit. If all of those boxes are checked and the kid passes the grade...then an offer is typically automatic....followed by multiple offers from competitors. (other programs)

Last edited:
What school and what sport?

My oldest got a football offer from something like Eastern New Mexico state without out talking to the coach-came from a recruiting service they used.

They started calling me about my youngest when he was a freshman (sorry Penn St) finally I asked the guy how he got my sons name and he said he was hoping I could tell them.

i'm superstitious/paranoid enough to not want to discuss details until/if something concrete actually materializes.
Suggest you take some unofficial visits to see some of the campuses at schools that have made contact and are at the level of competition that matches your sons abilities/talent level. See if you can meet the coaches and see the facilities Time will creep up on you before you know it.

Suggest you take some unofficial visits to see some of the campuses at schools that have made contact and are at the level of competition that matches your sons abilities/talent level. See if you can meet the coaches and see the facilities Time will creep up on you before you know it.
thanks. i agree with everything you said in that post. we used a recruiting service to match on academics and athletics. looks like road trips to scope out engineering programs at schools in Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Colorado. yikes. makes me think of Danny Glover's line in Lethal Weapon: "I'm gettin' too old for this shit."

Reactions: JWG66
thanks. i agree with everything you said in that post. we used a recruiting service to match on academics and athletics. looks like road trips to scope out engineering programs at schools in Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Colorado. yikes. makes me think of Danny Glover's line in Lethal Weapon: "I'm gettin' too old for this shit."
We did that for our daughter for volleyball. Mostly my wife’s idea and initiative. But we learned that one SEC school had changed coaches and was no longer interested. WVU had her on a watch list but there were 4 girls they liked ahead of her so a scholly was not likely. Out of all the letters of interest, one school offered and we accepted. She had a solid career and used her undergraduate degree to get into grad school. Best intel my wife got was on the campuses. Anyway, the time to sort things out comes and goes fast... Best of luck.

Reactions: The Dunedein
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT