ADVERTISEMENT

Stories from the road

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
I'm in Fort Myers, FL for what is unfortunately a business trip more than anything. I have family here and I'm working on a few things with them, one is WVU related. I may have had a chance to get out and enjoy it more had it not been for Nkamhoua. I didn't want to miss the commitment if so I was afraid to get away from the computer. That didn't work out too well. But anyway...

Last night I was downtown having dinner and the waitress comes back to the table and she was all excited and wanted to know what I do with WVU Sports because my Amex has WVU Sports in the company name. Turns out she works with the group that handles the Fort Myers Tip-Off that WVU will be in this year. She felt this was going to be their best group of teams yet and they were counting on WVU being the big draw. She played basketball when she was in college and knew the game well. She's also friends with Josiah Harris.

I get up and walk down the street no more than 20 feet and I see a young girl working in an ice cream shop with a WVU shirt on. I tell her I like her shirt and we started talking. She's from Steubenville, Ohio originally and both parents are grads of WVU. They're all excited to have the Mountaineers in town. She was telling me how it's not unusual at all to run into WVU fans around this area.

Then today my sister (no pics, just imagine me with long hair 😳 ) is trying to tell me how her best friend's husband is best friends with a college basketball coach. She's telling me that the guy coached at Liberty before moving to a team in the same conference in the Miami area. Of course she had it all wrong and he coached at WEST Liberty before moving to Nova Southeastern University. By now many of you know she was talking about Jim Crutchfield. It's funny how much we've talked about Crutchfield here on the site and then he ends up coaching RJ Sunahara, who as you know WVU wanted to add to the basketball portal class.

That was long and boring but it's all I got.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News