ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release STATEMENT FROM WVU PRESIDENT GORDON GEE AND VICE PRESIDENT/DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS WREN BAKER ON BOB HUGGINS

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
STATEMENT FROM WVU PRESIDENT GORDON GEE AND VICE PRESIDENT/DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS WREN BAKER ON BOB HUGGINS

Coach Huggins informed us of his intent to retire and has submitted his letter of resignation, and we have accepted it in light of recent events. We support his decision so that he can focus on his health and family.

On behalf of West Virginia University, we share our appreciation for his service to our University, our community and our state. During his time as a student-athlete, assistant coach and head coach, Coach Huggins devoted himself to his players, to our student body, to our fans and alumni and to all West Virginians. His contributions will always be a part of our history.

In the days ahead, we will focus on supporting the student-athletes in our men’s basketball program and solidifying leadership for our program.

Baker better be lighting up people's phones TONIGHT for the next head coach and staff. Being that Baker comes in with no connection to WVU, he may decide to go outside of anyone with connection to WVU and hire a guy from the outside. This is his first test as AD.......so let's see how he does.

STATEMENT FROM WVU PRESIDENT GORDON GEE AND VICE PRESIDENT/DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS WREN BAKER ON BOB HUGGINS

Coach Huggins informed us of his intent to retire and has submitted his letter of resignation, and we have accepted it in light of recent events. We support his decision so that he can focus on his health and family.

On behalf of West Virginia University, we share our appreciation for his service to our University, our community and our state. During his time as a student-athlete, assistant coach and head coach, Coach Huggins devoted himself to his players, to our student body, to our fans and alumni and to all West Virginians. His contributions will always be a part of our history.

In the days ahead, we will focus on supporting the student-athletes in our men’s basketball program and solidifying leadership for our program.

Weak. Publicly fire him and if Bob had any integrity, he would not see it as anything less than he deserves. University looks weak like a meek scumbag giving back stolen goods only because folks are watching. Huggins 100% did this to himself and University, yet the University is trying to share the burden of his mistake.

Weak. Publicly fire him and if Bob had any integrity, he would not see it as anything less than he deserves. University looks weak like a meek scumbag giving back stolen goods only because folks are watching. Huggins 100% did this to himself and University, yet the University is trying to share the burden of his mistake.
He admitted it was his fault, and he quit. What's wrong with you?

He admitted it was his fault, and he quit. What's wrong with you?
Nothing. He did an egregiously stupid and dangerous thing. This retirement letter is allowing him to try to save face. It's one thing to be slightly above the legal limit on your way home, but this is far beyond that. This makes it look like the University is trying to soft pedal his actions because of his record as a coach.

Nothing. He did an egregiously stupid and dangerous thing. This retirement letter is allowing him to try to save face. It's one thing to be slightly above the legal limit on your way home, but this is far beyond that. This makes it look like the University is trying to soft pedal his actions because of his record as a coach.
I think he just paid for his sin… he lost his job, his reputation will forever be marred, and he ends his many many years coaching in complete disgrace. The University did and said what it had to considering the circumstances; that being Huggins quit before they could fire him, and they just weren’t dealing with some basketball Coach, but a legend in Mountaineer sports and basketball icon. Should we bring out the gallows????

This is actually great for both! Bob leaves and it allows the university to move on! It does not detract from 15 + years of good things he had done while also not condoning the drunk driving issue that just happened!

The university can now begin a diligent search and not have this loom over their head any longer!

As sad as it is, Huggins still did tremendous things for the University and for WV. Hopefully he has time to fix his issues and also get healthy!

Reactions: Stan Kiser
Y
YOU ARE UGLY

I think he just paid for his sin… he lost his job, his reputation will forever be marred, and he ends his many many years coaching in complete disgrace. The University did and said what it had to considering the circumstances; that being Huggins quit before they could fire him, and they just weren’t dealing with some basketball Coach, but a legend in Mountaineer sports and basketball icon. Should we bring out the gallows????

Had he killed a family in a DUI car accident, would you still be satisfied with this outcome from the professional, not legal, standpoint? If not, why? The actions Huggins took are the same regardless of severity of outcome.

This is a more extreme example, but say he pointed a gun at some random person's head and pulled the trigger. If the gun misfires, criminally he is only guilty of attempted murder. However, does that stroke of luck make his actions any more moral or less egregious?

I'm saying from the stand point of principle and conducting yourself as a public figure, the standard should be higher than the criminality statute.

Had he killed a family in a DUI car accident, would you still be satisfied with this outcome from the professional, not legal, standpoint? If not, why? The actions Huggins took are the same regardless of severity of outcome.

This is a more extreme example, but say he pointed a gun at some random person's head and pulled the trigger. If the gun misfires, criminally he is only guilty of attempted murder. However, does that stroke of luck make his actions any more moral or less egregious?

I'm saying from the stand point of principle and conducting yourself as a public figure, the standard should be higher than the criminality statute.
I would say this would be attempted murder with intent.

The DUI is not with intent to do harm. It's a drunk that thinks he is the one that can do it safely undetected.

The man needs help but will recieve none until he himself admits he has a problem.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I would say this would be attempted murder with intent.

The DUI is not with intent to do harm. It's a drunk that thinks he is the one that can do it safely undetected.

The man needs help but will recieve none until he himself admits he has a problem.

I understand it is a more extreme example and I also understand disparate penalties under the law. But from a professional and moral stance, I do not see why consequences should be so disparate just because by sheer luck he avoided the very possible and most severe outcome of his actions. This is more reckless than a typical DUI. It is also not Bob from accounting whose transgression and punishment are only known by a few. This is the highest paid public employee in the state of West Virginia.

I understand it is a more extreme example and I also understand disparate penalties under the law. But from a professional and moral stance, I do not see why consequences should be so disparate just because by sheer luck he avoided the very possible and most severe outcome of his actions. This is more reckless than a typical DUI. It is also not Bob from accounting whose transgression and punishment are only known by a few. This is the highest paid public employee in the state of West Virginia.
The man's a drunk and needs help. He will not get help until he finally admits he has a problem.

Intent to shoot and kill is not the same as DUI.

The man's a drunk and needs help. He will not get help until he finally admits he has a problem.

Intent to shoot and kill is not the same as DUI.

The point is that the action is in same whether it be this outcome of just blocking the street or hitting and killing someone. If Huggins should face a significantly more severe penalty in the court of public opinion had he killed someone, I fail to see why. It is by luck and no virtue or mitigation of the mistaken action taken by Huggins that kept someone from dying. Guy A blows a .21 and rolls his car into a ditch while guy B blows a .21 and crashes into a family of 3 killing them all. Did guy B not do the exact same thing as guy A? Is guy B so much more of a piece of shit than guy A?

The point is that the action is in same whether it be this outcome of just blocking the street or hitting and killing someone. If Huggins should face a significantly more severe penalty in the court of public opinion had he killed someone, I fail to see why. It is by luck and no virtue or mitigation of the mistaken action taken by Huggins that kept someone from dying. Guy A blows a .21 and rolls his car into a ditch while guy B blows a .21 and crashes into a family of 3 killing them all. Did guy B not do the exact same thing as guy A? Is guy B so much more of a piece of shit than guy A?
Whatever.

Blowing a .06 is having one too many.

Blowing a .21 is having a case too many.

Blowing a .06 means your stupidity has now caused you a host of problems.

Blowing a .21 means your problem has now turned into stupidity.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
So you agree that 2 people recklessly throwing around a ton of steel are guilty of the exact action regardless of whether one luckily doesn't hit anyone and the other kills 4 people in the process.
I agree it's a waste of time discussing anything with you.

Sober people kill with a ton of steel as well.

I agree it's a waste of time discussing anything with you.

Sober people kill with a ton of steel as well.

I accept your concession. I'll even entertain your obvious attempt at obfuscation by bringing up sober people who kill people in car accidents. Two sober people driving 120 mph on populated road ways are engaging in the exact same problematic behavior regardless of if one losing control and kills someone else in a crash and the other luckily does not. If you disagree, feel free to say so. But I'd think you would need to explain why obvious identical behavior is not identical just because the outcome is different.

I accept your concession. I'll even entertain your obvious attempt at obfuscation by bringing up sober people who kill people in car accidents. Two sober people driving 120 mph on populated road ways are engaging in the exact same problematic behavior regardless of if one losing control and kills someone else in a crash and the other luckily does not. If you disagree, feel free to say so. But I'd think you would need to explain why obvious identical behavior is not identical just because the outcome is different.
It's obvious you've never driven in Cleveland, Ohio. There are laws against drinking and driving and laws against speeding. Speeders never admit they speed and drive recklessly. Drunks never admit to driving impaired or that they have a drinking problem.

It's obvious you've never driven in Cleveland, Ohio. There are laws against drinking and driving and laws against speeding. Speeders never admit they speed and drive recklessly. Drunks never admit to driving impaired or that they have a drinking problem.

What does that have to do with my point? My point isn't whether someone admits guilt or not. My point if two people engage in the exact same behavior, whether it is with malicious intent or just reckless negligence, those actions should be judged equivalent on a moral level regardless of the outcome. I understand that on a criminal level, the outcome must change the judgment/penalty. However that should not hold true in the court of public opinion. I fail to see why the public's opinion and the University's stance toward this behavior hinges how severe the consequences of the reckless behavior happen to be. This is in response to those who want to soft pedal what Huggins did with this DUI knowing full well they would be far more critical had his actions actually killed someone. Whatever stance you think the University should take with a coach in the event they kill 4 people in a crash while driving at 2.5x the legal limit and obviously drinking WHILE driving is the exact same stance you should think the University should take here. That is because only dumb luck, and nothing at all to do with Huggins actions, kept this event from being a real tragedy.

Nothing says thank you like a forced retirement
Yep. Thanks for everything, you're a great Mountaineer. Once a Mountaineer, Always a Mountaineer. Unless you use a word we don't like or think something with which we don't agree, then we'll sacrifice you to the mob.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Yep. Thanks for everything, you're a great Mountaineer. Once a Mountaineer, Always a Mountaineer. Unless you use a word we don't like or think something with which we don't agree, then we'll sacrifice you to the mob.

This outcome should happen regardless of what butt hurt f@gs say. Even if the radio incident never happened, Bob's behavior with this DUI is still worthy of ending his career. 2.5 times the legal limit and driving WHILE drinking? This is not just being a bit tipsy and blowing a 0.1 on your way home from dinner and drinks. To be comfortable with driving while popping drinks from a cooler shows this is not just a one off event despite losing one previous career to the same thing.

P.S. Like this post only if you think Taylor Swift is an overrated hack that only dumb fvcks find talented.

Last edited:
STATEMENT FROM GORDON GEE:

Thank you for my time in Morgantown and thank you for
This outcome should happen regardless of what butt hurt f@gs say. Even if the radio incident never happened, Bob's behavior with this DUI is still worthy of ending his career. 2.5 times the legal limit and driving WHILE drinking? This is not just being a bit tipsy and blowing a 0.1 on your way home from dinner and drinks. To be comfortable with driving while popping drinks from a cooler shows this is not just a one off event despite losing one previous career to the same thing.
Its also worthy of giving him another chance, especially when he was already willing to do 60 days of rehab. Bob Huggins offers to do 60 days of rehab just to keep a very talented WVU team together and coach one more year for the team he put so much into, and its not even considered? That is weak and lame and there is no excuse for it. Gee is a total asshole and the state of WVU in general under him is for shit. Neal Brown is shown more loyalty than Bob Huggins under Gordon Gee. Everyone makes mistakes, but WVU is a business and at the end of the day, losing Huggins this way is bad for business.

STATEMENT FROM GORDON GEE:

Thank you for my time in Morgantown and thank you for

Its also worthy of giving him another chance, especially when he was already willing to do 60 days of rehab. Bob Huggins offers to do 60 days of rehab just to keep a very talented WVU team together and coach one more year for the team he put so much into, and its not even considered? That is weak and lame and there is no excuse for it. Gee is a total asshole and the state of WVU in general under him is for shit. Neal Brown is shown more loyalty than Bob Huggins under Gordon Gee. Everyone makes mistakes, but WVU is a business and at the end of the day, losing Huggins this way is bad for business.

We vastly disagree on the seriousness of DUI's then. The number of innocent people killed each year by assholes driving at over .2 blood alcohol is astoundingly high. The behavior seen here shows Bob must've done it multiple times at the least to be this comfortable with such actions that should make any of us ask "How the fvck do you think that is okay?" Driving in the state he was in is as reckless and dangerous to others as firing a gun in random directions within a neighborhood. Hard to let someone skate when they have done it at least twice and likely many more times than that. The fact that by dumb luck Huggins DIDN'T kill anyone shouldn't grant him leniency for his actions. This recklessness should be treated as the same if he had killed someone for a public figure of his standing.

Now I would agree it is bullshit if Gee would have given Bob a chance to keep his job had he just had this DUI, yet the alphabet bitch babies pushed Gee over the edge to firing. However I think this DUI alone is egregious enough to end Bob's time at WVU.

We vastly disagree on the seriousness of DUI's then. The number of innocent people killed each year by assholes driving at over .2 blood alcohol is astoundingly high. The behavior seen here shows Bob must've done it multiple times at the least to be this comfortable with such actions that should make any of us ask "How the fvck do you think that is okay?" Driving in the state he was in is as reckless and dangerous to others as firing a gun in random directions within a neighborhood. Hard to let someone skate when they have done it at least twice and likely many more times than that. The fact that by dumb luck Huggins DIDN'T kill anyone shouldn't grant him leniency for his actions. This recklessness should be treated as the same if he had killed someone for a public figure of his standing.

Now I would agree it is bullshit if Gee would have given Bob a chance to keep his job had he just had this DUI, yet the alphabet bitch babies pushed Gee over the edge to firing. However I think this DUI alone is egregious enough to end Bob's time at WVU.

No harm in disagreeing. If there were no remorse or willingness to recognize the problem on Huggins part I would say peace out, but he definitely wants to do what he can to help himself and wvu and I think he has earned the right to do that way more than Gee has earned the right to tell him he can't. Huggins is a hall of fame coach who is from Morgantown and loves wvu and wv. Gee is a liberal poindexter moron who has made wvu worse. Huggins agreed to go to rehab for 60 days which is huge for Huggins and it's stupid not to take him up on it. When we are lower half of the big 12 year after year under Andy Kennedy, just remember all this and how it didn't have to be that way....

Last edited:
No harm in disagreeing. If there were no remorse or willingness to recognize the problem on Huggins part I would say peace out, but he definitely wants to do what he can to help himself and wvu and I think he has earned the right to do that way more than Gee has earned the right to tell him he can't. Huggins is a hall of fame coach who is from Morgantown and loves wvu and wv. Gee is a liberal poindexter moron who has made wvu worse. Huggins agreed to go to rehab for 60 days which is huge for Huggins and it's stupid not to take him up on it. When we are lower half of the big 12 year after year under Andy Kennedy, just remember all this and how it didn't have to be that way....

I mean he got fired 18 years ago for this and has been heavily drinking ever since from the word around Morgantown. He broke ribs falling in a hotel from drinking. He obviously has been driving under the influence since that time. Sounds like he did not learn from one previous DUI and firing nor embarrassing falls and media attention for his drinking. I think that shows he didn't really learn or care and that this rehab stint could just as easily be going through the motions only because he got caught.

As far as your last sentiment, Huggins was likely gone after this year anyway. I doubt his 1 year premature and disgraceful exit changes the replacement process too much from what it would have been had he finished this season and left on top. Unless you think he would've still controlled the program from a non basketball HC position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT