ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium contributions... WVU mention....

Although this seems a little off topic, it reveals the flaws in new stadium construction contributions to the local economy... with quotes by a WVU economics professor.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/column-nfl-version-card-monte-super-bowl-scam-39483402
I've often complained over the years regarding tax payer money used to finance new stadiums in all sports. It's a scam, yet nobody complains. Professional sports owners should be forced to fund their own stadiums just like any other business. Otherwise, the residents of that city should have access for free to the games since they technically own a share in that stadium. It's legalized extortion whenever owners threaten to leave a city unless tax payers pony up money to build a new stadium. Often times, the old stadium isn't paid off before tax payers are fleeced for the cost of a new one. Example: Texas Rangers wanting a new MLB stadium. Their current field was built in 1994.

I've often complained over the years regarding tax payer money used to finance new stadiums in all sports. It's a scam, yet nobody complains. Professional sports owners should be forced to fund their own stadiums just like any other business. Otherwise, the residents of that city should have access for free to the games since they technically own a share in that stadium. It's legalized extortion whenever owners threaten to leave a city unless tax payers pony up money to build a new stadium. Often times, the old stadium isn't paid off before tax payers are fleeced for the cost of a new one. Example: Texas Rangers wanting a new MLB stadium. Their current field was built in 1994.
I have always felt this way. They build stadiums while the public schools are neglected.

With regards to the Rangers new stadium, the City of Arlington doesn't mind the tax because its already in place from AT&T stadium and is just going to continue after it's paid off. And if you've ever watched a game at The Ballpark in Arlington, now Globe Life Park, in the months of June-August, you would understand.

They build stadiums while the public schools are neglected.

Overall you may be correct....but where I live in PA most of the schools look like small high quality college campuses.

Don't even get me started on PA's teacher unions and the whole issue of tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT