ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Replay

7j7dt6.jpg

Too bad very few fans were there to see it.
There is very rarely a big crowd for spring. We are not Alabama.

But the regular season attention will be what gets Brown fired. That and a poor record.

An average of 58,158 five years ago in 2018 to 55,907 to the COVID year of 6,653 per game to 51,584 in 2021 and just 47,658 last year. The 47,658 is the lowest home attendance other than in the COVID year since 2001 when Rich Rodriguez’s team averaged 48,323 per game.

Last season’s largest crowd was 52,188 for the home opener against Kansas. By the time they got to the season’s final game at home against Kansas State the attendance was 37,055.

Since 2002 WVU has drawn at least one crowd of 60,000 every year other than 2013 when the biggest crowd was 58,570 and last year when only 52,288 came to the top game.

- by Bob Hertzel For the Exponent Telegram Feb 23, 2023

According to the AD, season ticket sales are up at this point ahead of the last 4 seasons.

I’m sure having the Backyard Brawl in Morgantown has helped.

There is very rarely a big crowd for spring. We are not Alabama.

But the regular season attention will be what gets Brown fired. That and a poor record.

An average of 58,158 five years ago in 2018 to 55,907 to the COVID year of 6,653 per game to 51,584 in 2021 and just 47,658 last year. The 47,658 is the lowest home attendance other than in the COVID year since 2001 when Rich Rodriguez’s team averaged 48,323 per game.

Last season’s largest crowd was 52,188 for the home opener against Kansas. By the time they got to the season’s final game at home against Kansas State the attendance was 37,055.

Since 2002 WVU has drawn at least one crowd of 60,000 every year other than 2013 when the biggest crowd was 58,570 and last year when only 52,288 came to the top game.

- by Bob Hertzel For the Exponent Telegram Feb 23, 2023
Compared to most P5 our fans don't give a shtt. Place looked like a junior midget league attendance. Wvu fan support is a myth.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Compared to most P5 our fans don't give a shtt. Place looked like a junior midget league attendance. Wvu fan support is a myth.
Top 12 spring game attendances in college football this year

1. Ohio State Buckeyes - 75,122
2. Penn State Nittany Lions - 68,000
3. Nebraska Cornhuskers - 66,045
4. Alabama Crimson Tide - 58,710
5. Tennessee Volunteers - 58,473
6. Oklahoma Sooners - 54,409
7. Georgia Bulldogs - 54,000
8. South Carolina Gamecocks - 51,000
9. Clemson Tigers - 50,000
10. Colorado Buffaloes - 47,277
11. USC Trojans - 33,427
12. Florida State Seminoles - 33,107

Surprised Texas didn't make it.

Top 12 spring game attendances in college football this year

1. Ohio State Buckeyes - 75,122
2. Penn State Nittany Lions - 68,000
3. Nebraska Cornhuskers - 66,045
4. Alabama Crimson Tide - 58,710
5. Tennessee Volunteers - 58,473
6. Oklahoma Sooners - 54,409
7. Georgia Bulldogs - 54,000
8. South Carolina Gamecocks - 51,000
9. Clemson Tigers - 50,000
10. Colorado Buffaloes - 47,277
11. USC Trojans - 33,427
12. Florida State Seminoles - 33,107

Surprised Texas didn't make it.
If ninjas counted WVU would have been #1.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUALLEN
From what I've heard we basically went from 12,000 at last years spring game to maybe 1000 for this year. Fans just dont care about Neal Brown anymore, and for good reason. I would personally rather see Wren Baker coach the team this year. I think we would sell more tickets if WVU fans knew Brown was out, even if we had to wait a while to find the next coach. Brown is costing WVU millions and millions of dollars. We will lose more than his buyout in loss of ticket sales this season, imo. The decision to keep him could backfire badly, imo. Gordon Gee is a jackass.

From what I've heard we basically went from 12,000 at last years spring game to maybe 1000 for this year. Fans just dont care about Neal Brown anymore, and for good reason. I would personally rather see Wren Baker coach the team this year. I think we would sell more tickets if WVU fans knew Brown was out, even if we had to wait a while to find the next coach. Brown is costing WVU millions and millions of dollars. We will lose more than his buyout in loss of ticket sales this season, imo. The decision to keep him could backfire badly, imo. Gordon Gee is a jackass.
WVU spring game isn't about Neal Brown. It's about the children's hospital and the money that is raised. Attendance has been dropping at WVU since Stewart was coach. It's not just Brown. I know people hate him but he is not to blame 100% for declining attendance.

The decision to keep him was based on the inability to pay the buyout that Shane setup hence that is why Shane was canned first.

WVU spring game isn't about Neal Brown. It's about the children's hospital and the money that is raised. Attendance has been dropping at WVU since Stewart was coach. It's not just Brown. I know people hate him but he is not to blame 100% for declining attendance.

The decision to keep him was based on the inability to pay the buyout that Shane setup hence that is why Shane was canned first.
I agree the spring game is about the kids but they cant get much help if fans dontv show up. Numbers have been declining slowly but this season went from over 10k to less than 2k. That IS Neal Brown, and it sucks for those kids. Sadly the kids pay the price in the spring game and I hate that a lot, tbh. But its just another reason Brown must go. Buyout I get it, but I'm also predicting it will backfire and they will have lost more money than his buyout was by the end of season, maybe sooner. Not buying him out was stupid, imo.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I agree the spring game is about the kids but they cant get much help if fans dontv show up. Numbers have been declining slowly but this season went from over 10k to less than 2k. That IS Neal Brown, and it sucks for those kids. Sadly the kids pay the price in the spring game and I hate that a lot, tbh. But its just another reason Brown must go. Buyout I get it, but I'm also predicting it will backfire and they will have lost more money than his buyout was by the end of season, maybe sooner. Not buying him out was stupid, imo.

Buy him out and all the assistants plus pay a new staff. Not affordable.

Had to fire Shane first. Get over it suck it up and wait until the end of the year. If he somehow wins a miracle of 8 games he will leave on his own. Goes 5-7 we fire him.

Not just about Brown. That's a Homer's diversion. Wvu fan enthusiasm is a myth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT