ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated ranks its top 100 NBA draft prospects

AllEers

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
And none of them is named Sagaba Konate.

His brother ranks right up there in WVU athletics history with Major Harris' mom in giving bad familial advice.

Heard Utah likes Konate. Seen that he may be their late second round pick

Don't blame Konate because he has to look out for himself.
He needs coaches that will let him develop more in the NBA style.

He will develop in G league for somebody. If not Europe will gladly take him.

Even first round picks are playing in the G League now.
Konate really needs it.

Three weaknesses
Shooting range
Dribbling
Being a pick and roll player.

Needs to be comfortable around the perimeter.

His vertical and wingspan will give him a chance the next 3-5 years.
Just needs the people who will invest in his development. Something that will never happen at WV

Reactions: alpinisti
Konate playing his "role" for Bob Huggins isn't helping him.
Like I said it isn't Huggins job to develop individual players for the NBA. His job is to win games

It was mutual. Both sides failed each other.
G League is different.
Everyone claims Konate made this horrible decision. I think otherwise. Especially if he is not drafted. He can find the best coaching staff for him.
G League isn't about wins and losses it is about getting players ready for the NBA.
NBA invest is these players and invest into their development.

If he leaves, he’s dumb unless he already has a great deal overseas. That’s all. WVU has enough great players TALLER than him where he cam play SF and work on the skills mentioned above. He truly isn’t even ready for G league. People see him as a Draymond Greene.

Konate will need 4 years in G league to even think about that.

If he didn’t have an idiot looking out for him, he would get an insurance policy to cover for injury and actually come back and play. Learn how to expand his game and have a legit shot at the NBA.

Konate has been compared to Dejuan Blair but with more athleticism.

Blair has played in the NBA, G League and overseas.

That is at the bottom.

I think he could turn into Montrzell Harrell.

How Konate needs to play isn't a part of Huggins game play.

Konate should be on top of the three point line setting a pick and rolling or picking and popping.
Huggins doesn't use the bigs in this role and won't use Konate because he isn't comfortable.

G League games are like minor league baseball. Wins and losses don't keep coaches but player development does.

Huggins main objective is to win
A G League coach's main objective is too develop talent.

Konate has the talent.
6-8 with wingspan and a huge vertical.
But his game is raw and unrefined.

Konate is 6’6.5”. That is SG height. He needs to evolve.

There will not be enough room down low for him and Oscar and Culver. For spacing, he’ll need to move outside. Capiche?

It is the perfect match. Our talent improves and he gets to work on his weaknesses. His brother doesn’t see it obviously.

He still has a 7 foot wingspan.

Oscar is in the same position. He is no means a stretch 4. WV would do much better keeping Haley as their 4.

You do need a stretch 5. Culver, Oscar and Konate pretty much have a similar skill set.
Some may be better in certain roles. Culver is much better in the offensive end than defensive. Oscar from what I have seen is the total opposite.
It can work if you throw three shooters on the court and both players demand being doubled.
Culver for the most part hasn't shown against quality competition that he should be doubled.

You are placing blame on the players and not the coaches.
Huggins doesn't believe in position less basketball. If Konate had the ability I think Huggins would adjust the team but Huggins isn't forcing Konate into becoming a stretch 5.

I have huge respect for Huggins and his system. In terms of NBA and what other colleges are doing Huggins hasn't adjusted.
Do you blame him. His system works.

Oscar is in the same position. He is no means a stretch 4. WV would do much better keeping Haley as their 4.

You do need a stretch 5. Culver, Oscar and Konate pretty much have a similar skill set.
Some may be better in certain roles. Culver is much better in the offensive end than defensive. Oscar from what I have seen is the total opposite.
It can work if you throw three shooters on the court and both players demand being doubled.
Culver for the most part hasn't shown against quality competition that he should be doubled.

Huggins doesn't believe in position less basketball. If Konate had the ability I think Huggins would adjust the team but Huggins isn't forcing Konate into becoming a stretch 5.

I have huge respect for Huggins and his system. In terms of NBA and what other colleges are doing Huggins hasn't adjusted.

My point is the G league will develop you but there are 12 players there that need that. Konate would get more attention here.

For the little he played last year, it did appear that Huggs was allowing him more leeway to expand his game.

You said it yourself, we can’t have 3 guys playing in the same spot. Konate knows he needs to evolve and we need him to in order to spread the floor. I think Huggs would have allowed him the chance.

Blair has played in the NBA, G League and overseas.

That is at the bottom.

How Konate needs to play isn't a part of Huggins game play.

Konate should be on top of the three point line setting a pick and rolling or picking and popping.
Huggins doesn't use the bigs in this role and won't use Konate because he isn't comfortable.

G League games are like minor league baseball. Wins and losses don't keep coaches but player development does.

Huggins main objective is to win
A G League coach's main objective is too develop talent.

Konate has the talent.
6-8 with wingspan and a huge vertical.
But his game is raw and unrefined.

He’s nowhere near as good as Blair. Not even close.

Konate as a 3...

In an ideal situation. But not in reality.
There are defensive limitations.

Culver, Oscar, Konate would have been a hell of a Frontline in 1986.
But college basketball has changed.
Konate can't cover 1s and 2s on the perimeter.

Haley is more of an ideal three in a big lineup.
Matthews works if you want to go small.

Offensively Konate should be able to play as a 5,4,3 and in an ideal situation as a 1 or 2.
That is the idea of position less basketball.

But Konate isn't PJ Washington. The former Kentucky big future NBA Lottery Pick.
Defensively is another situation. You need your three to guard anyone on the court.

I even think Oscar and Culver together could cause issues for WV on defense especially if you can't prevent penetration.

That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. You know comparison of players is as useless as Nancy Pelosi.

Wonder if things go bad will his brother / agent tell him to fake an injury.

NBA drafts on potential so player comparaions are important.

Konate has potential.
I don't understand why WV doesn't wish the best for him.
It makes WV not him look bad if he fails. WV needs all the NBA players they can get.
As of right now WV and Huggins can be recruited against negatively very easily.

NBA drafts on potential so player comparaions are important.

Konate has potential.
I don't understand why WV doesn't wish the best for him.
It makes WV not him look bad if he fails. WV needs all the NBA players they can get.
As of right now WV and Huggins can be recruited against negatively very easily.

I feel the same as when Joe Alexander left. Elite talent who wasn’t remotely ready. Another year and he would have had a great career in the NBA.

Players getting drafted is great. Impact NBA players are 10x better.

Some players have weaknesses they never work on.
An extra year in college isn't going to change that. I think the G League was just starting when Alexander went into the NBA. Players have time and coaching to work on their game at that level but not all do.
Even with all that Alexander has been a decent pro player even if it is Europe. They still getting paid a decent sum of money even while not playing in the NBA.

Hugg's system didn't work too well last year. Maybe needs a little tweaking.

Hugg's system didn't work too well last year. Maybe needs a little tweaking.
He didn't have the guards and certain players didn't feel the void.

His system works because he forces teams to play his game. Even if you beat West Virginia you are forced to speed up play. Teams with skill, speed and experience in the Backcourt ran WV out of the gym.

If he leaves, he’s dumb unless he already has a great deal overseas. That’s all. WVU has enough great players TALLER than him where he cam play SF and work on the skills mentioned above. He truly isn’t even ready for G league. People see him as a Draymond Greene.

Konate will need 4 years in G league to even think about that.

If he didn’t have an idiot looking out for him, he would get an insurance policy to cover for injury and actually come back and play. Learn how to expand his game and have a legit shot at the NBA.

He will get better playing out of college.

Those insurance policies are complicated and usually dont turn out so well for the player. Besides, the goal is to have a career as a basketball player....not collect on an insurance claim.

I feel the same as when Joe Alexander left. Elite talent who wasn’t remotely ready. Another year and he would have had a great career in the NBA.

Players getting drafted is great. Impact NBA players are 10x better.

Another year in college would have made no difference, except a possible injury or slip in draft position.

My point is the G league will develop you but there are 12 players there that need that. Konate would get more attention here.

For the little he played last year, it did appear that Huggs was allowing him more leeway to expand his game.

You said it yourself, we can’t have 3 guys playing in the same spot. Konate knows he needs to evolve and we need him to in order to spread the floor. I think Huggs would have allowed him the chance.

This is silly. As a pro basketball player he will recieve far more attention than in college...it will be his fulltime job.

Who cares about being drafted or not.
He would be in the same position.
Who says he is not getting drafted?
I have seen him on a few mock drafts to Philly and Utah.
No matter where he goes and if he is drafted Konate will be playing in the G League.

Only benefit of CBB is a free education.
Coaching is not as good
You play for free
Plus you have to take classes.

This is why college basketball will turn into college baseball very soon.

G League- Coaches who spend more time with players because their job is to develop talent.

College- Coaches are there to win games so what the player wants sometimes doesn't matter.

Either he will get drafted, get a chance in D League or go play pro overseas.

He doesnt need college for anything right now.

Now basketball gets to become a full time job.

There is 12 players who need that at WVU and there is less time and more restrictions on them, so how is that better?

Brother harmed Sags' career more than any one.
Huggins helped many players improve their chances.
Track record beats player delusions every time.

Alexander was selected 8th overall.

And then????

He deserved a better career, but he chose the easy path. An extra year of college likely would have made him literally 10’s of millions more than what he got.

If you say that he was somehow at his ceiling or he would have not gained anything from another year of college, then I’m at a loss.

There is 12 players who need that at WVU and there is less time and more restrictions on them, so how is that better?

Big fish in small pond >>>>>> small fish in big pond.

Do you really think Chase Harler is going to warrant as much attention as Sags?!?

Are you even trying at this point? Please say no.

Alexander was a good player but I think athleticism was a huge issue

Let's not act like Alexander didn't become a great player in Europe.
Adam Morrison was another one. Don't think he ended up in Europe.
You think another year in college would have made Morrison a great player in the NBA.

I don't think it would either player.

And then????

He deserved a better career, but he chose the easy path. An extra year of college likely would have made him literally 10’s of millions more than what he got.

If you say that he was somehow at his ceiling or he would have not gained anything from another year of college, then I’m at a loss.

He deserved the career he got.

What would a year in college do that a year in the pros wouldnt?

In the pros he plays full time, has the best coaches and resources and plays against the best competition in the world....that makes you better than college.

He blames the Bucks.

Alexander was a good player but I think athleticism was a huge issue

Let's not act like Alexander didn't become a great player in Europe.
Adam Morrison was another one. Don't think he ended up in Europe.
You think another year in college would have made Morrison a great player in the NBA.

I don't think it would either player.

How was athleticism a problem? He was an incredible athlete and was considered one of the best athletes in that draft - perhaps the very best.

Are you saying he was too athletic?

Big fish in small pond >>>>>> small fish in big pond.

Do you really think Chase Harler is going to warrant as much attention as Sags?!?

Are you even trying at this point? Please say no.

If attention and time is what he needs, then he will get far more as a professional....it will be a full time job. No student or university responsibilities, no obligations other than basketball.

Plus, he will be learning the NBA game, which is nothing like Huggins system and he will be competing against the best players - not Chase Harlers.

Suggesting a college staff can do a better job than a NBA staff is silly.

Listed at #81 by NBA best available. If that's the case he will not be drafted. Probably picked up by the G-League.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT