ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE Spoke with the head coach of new West Virginia commitment

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
AOSS Prep head coach Jason Van Horn told me that Abraham Oyeadier, pronounced oh-you-dear, is a big, thick physical and strong defender that can finish around the rim. He is a hard-worker and no-nonsense type and is a first-in the gym and last one out type of guy. He told me that he was surprised that he slipped through the cracks but Van Horn felt that some of that was due to the transfer to his new school, some coaches that were recruiting him previously getting new jobs and the fact that he was recovering from an injury when he arrived there. He averaged 10.7 points, 11.3 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game last season in league play and is the type of player where his best basketball is ahead of him. Even last year, Van Horn was able to take him from basically being solely a defender and rebounder and stretched him out to knock down some 15-19 foot jumpers and even around the three-point line at times. He has great mechanics and a good one-dribble, two-step to the rim off the wing. Van Horn believes he has a lot to show people that he has seen in the facility but he has a lot of basketball to showcase moving forward. Oyeadier is the type that could definitely provide some minutes although it's hard to know if that will be the case in a new scenario but he has been an imposing force in every situation to date and will make his presence known. Off the floor, Oyeadier is the type that leads both by example and vocally and he was always in the classroom, weight room of basketball court. He told me things came together quickly with West Virginia and was spearheaded by Nelson Hernandez but Oyeadier never lost faith and kept a positive attitude through it all. He has full eligibility and is from Ghana where he came over about five years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.