ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE Spoke to new reported basketball commitment ...

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007

Scottsdale (Az.) Bella Vista Prep forward Jamel King told me that this all came together very quickly. New Mexico, where he was originally committed, got a new coaching staff and while they told him they loved him they were actually filling his spot. So he asked for a release from the program and was granted it about two weeks ago. West Virginia got in contact shortly after with assistant Erik Martin leading the way. He told me that Martin liked his shooting at the position as well as his athleticism. King had a zoom meeting with the coaches yesterday and was able to get a virtual tour of Morgantown to get a feel for what the campus was like. He told me that while he's never actually been there he was really impressed with it and fell in love with what he saw. Today he spoke with Martin again and that's when he received an offer and committed to the Mountaineers. He is being recruited to play the three primarily, but could slide over to the two if needed and is 6-foot-8, 185-pounds. The coaches have told him that he is set to be more of a role player to start out and he is fine with that and understands that he needs to hit the weight room hard which he plans on doing. King averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists last year and while he is from Alabama spent his high school playing days in Arizona the past two years. He told me that he couldn't have imagined things coming together like this so quickly and the plan is to arrive at West Virginia next week to start his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News