ADVERTISEMENT

Spicer

countryroads89

All-American
Sep 6, 2013
Here are a couple of quotes from yesterday:

"But when you’re constantly getting told that can’t be true, we doubt that you can do this, this won’t happen, and that’s the narrative when you turn on television every single day, it’s a little frustrating."

"It’s not about one tweet. It’s not about one picture. It’s about a constant theme. It’s about sitting here every time and being told, ‘No. well, we don’t think he can do that, he’ll never accomplish that, he can’t win that, it won’t be the biggest, it’s not gonna be that good. The crowds aren’t that big, he’s not that successful.’ The narrative – and the default narrative is always negative and it’s demoralizing."

Sweetheart, it's going to be a very long four years for you. You should hope Trump gets impeached if you feel this way. It's tough when you work for a delusional narcissist. You're going to hear "this can't be true", "this won't happen" and "he'll never accomplish that".

"But when you’re constantly getting told that can’t be true, we doubt that you can do this, this won’t happen, and that’s the narrative when you turn on television every single day, it’s a little frustrating."

"It’s not about one tweet. It’s not about one picture. It’s about a constant theme. It’s about sitting here every time and being told, ‘No. well, we don’t think he can do that, he’ll never accomplish that, he can’t win that, it won’t be the biggest, it’s not gonna be that good. The crowds aren’t that big, he’s not that successful.’ The narrative – and the default narrative is always negative and it’s demoralizing."

Sweetheart, it's going to be a very long four years for you. You should hope Trump gets impeached if you feel this way. It's tough when you work for a delusional narcissist. You're going to hear "this can't be true", "this won't happen" and "he'll never accomplish that".
Dear cuntry. Speaking of a long 4 years. You haven't stopped whining since Nov 9. There is nothing that Spicer said that was wrong. If you don't like it, well that is just tough fukn shit. Buckle up buttercup.

Yep, 1,456 more days of watching this butt-hurt. I'm enjoying the cuntree meltdown. Hopefully, he'll leave the country like others that claim to hate America.

Dear cuntry. Speaking of a long 4 years. You haven't stopped whining since Nov 9. There is nothing that Spicer said that was wrong. If you don't like it, well that is just tough fukn shit. Buckle up buttercup.
Do you see a danger it pushing off the press as hostile and opinionated? I get it, but the barking dogs of the press pool keep that office from having too much power through political fallout. Kennedy, Nixon, Bush, Clinton...they all had to walk a line. Obama? He had the headache too. Trump already has most of his supporters looking to news from sources controlled by supporters (Brietbart). I know you are a smarter citizen than that, but many that vote are willing to have one go to source.

Yep, 1,456 more days of watching this butt-hurt. I'm enjoying the cuntree meltdown. Hopefully, he'll leave the country like others that claim to hate America.
He doesn't hate America. That's going too far. Liberal-conservative, Republican-Democrat, right-left....we all love America.

Do you see a danger it pushing off the press as hostile and opinionated? I get it, but the barking dogs of the press pool keep that office from having too much power through political fallout. Kennedy, Nixon, Bush, Clinton...they all had to walk a line. Obama? He had the headache too. Trump already has most of his supporters looking to news from sources controlled by supporters (Brietbart). I know you are a smarter citizen than that, but many that vote are willing to have one go to source.
He was telling the press to stop being so negative because they plan to do the things they say they will do. How is that hostile?

He was telling the press to stop being so negative because they plan to do the things they say they will do. How is that hostile?
No. He and Trump keep referring to the press as hostile. Just do what you do, press can't stop you. If they report biased, won't matter if you get the agenda done.

Spicer’s first two pressers make me wonder if he’s up to the task. I am beta, hear me whine.

Listening to it as opposed to reading it was more telling. I personally didn't see anything wrong with what he said. I don't care if he and the administration lambaste the press daily. They aren't above reproach. Hell, it's a decent strategy to put them on the defensive trying to justify their negativity. If it creates an even more hostile situation and even more critical press, all the better for him and his supporters. The press literally have boxed themselves into not being able to win this game because they were so in the tank for Hillary. Nothing they say that this point will matter to people who voted for Trump. I hear it every day from the people I know personally and from conversations I hear at restaurants, in the airports, and at the bar. You guys need to come up with a new strategy. The people who voted for Trump absolutely love this for a variety of reasoning. Some of it as petty as those "city slickers getting some comeuppance".

No. He and Trump keep referring to the press as hostile. Just do what you do, press can't stop you. If they report biased, won't matter if you get the agenda done.
How is that any different than a press that keeps referring to you as dishonest or racist? He doesn't seem at this point to be waivering on his first 100 days expectations so at this point what the press wants to focus their reports on is up to them because business is getting done even if the press is too busy crying about being called hostile.

Listening to it as opposed to reading it was more telling. I personally didn't see anything wrong with what he said. I don't care if he and the administration lambaste the press daily. They aren't above reproach. Hell, it's a decent strategy to put them on the defensive trying to justify their negativity. If it creates an even more hostile situation and even more critical press, all the better for him and his supporters. The press literally have boxed themselves into not being able to win this game because they were so in the tank for Hillary. Nothing they say that this point will matter to people who voted for Trump. I hear it every day from the people I know personally and from conversations I hear at restaurants, in the airports, and at the bar. You guys need to come up with a new strategy. The people who voted for Trump absolutely love this for a variety of reasoning. Some of it as petty as those "city slickers getting some comeuppance".
But the press pool (which encompasses both liberal and conservative biased press) can't be vilified. Jump on stories, if you find it necessary. Call out reporters, if they deserve it. But these blanket accusations of dishonesty and bias are not beneficial to American democratic processes (of which journalistic scrutiny is a vital part).

But the press pool (which encompasses both liberal and conservative biased press) can't be vilified. Jump on stories, if you find it necessary. Call out reporters, if they deserve it. But these blanket accusations of dishonesty and bias are not beneficial to American democratic processes (of which journalistic scrutiny is a vital part).
Sure they can. The very fact that you called out liberal and conservative press is the problem. There is the press and it shouldn't be biased and slanted in either direction.

Sure they can. The very fact that you called out liberal and conservative press is the problem. There is the press and it shouldn't be biased and slanted in either direction.
There's always bias and opinion pieces. Again, jump on a story or reporter if necessary, but let the whole "they're after me" thing go.

Spicer’s first two pressers make me wonder if he’s up to the task. I am beta, hear me whine.
I know I wouldn't be up to the task. Hell, he'd probably fire me on the spot for referring to him in pressers as 'Biff'. He'd hate that. Biff would probably get 3-4 tweets from that alone.

There's always bias and opinion pieces. Again, jump on a story or reporter if necessary, but let the whole "they're after me" thing go.
I disagree. Punish them as a group. Pretty soon they will start holding each other accountable as well and we might climb out of this sewer we've slipped into and back into respectful media coverage. You understand, they are fighting a battle they've already lost, correct?

I know I wouldn't be up to the task. Hell, he'd probably fire me on the spot for referring to him in pressers as 'Biff'. He'd hate that. Biff would probably get 3-4 tweets from that alone.
It was funny several months ago. It's not anymore. What do you have next? You gonna Rick Roll us?

Be more funny!!!!

I disagree. Punish them as a group. Pretty soon they will start holding each other accountable as well and we might climb out of this sewer we've slipped into and back into respectful media coverage. You understand, they are fighting a battle they've already lost, correct?
743.gif

Good point. Maybe they will begin told hold each accountable and/or defend facts

The WHPC should not be a lot of "opinion pieces" though. They should be covering the President and leave the opinions to their editors.

Reactions: Boomboom521
The WHPC should not be a lot of "opinion pieces" though. They should be covering the President and leave the opinions to their editors.
I hear you, but policy initiatives require a little opinion when speaking about something helps or hurts the nation in the long run.

I hear you, but policy initiatives require a little opinion when speaking about something helps or hurts the nation in the long run.
If a beat writer needs opinions to help describe their subject they should call up people to go on the record with opinions about the story and then report those.

Reactions: Boomboom521
If a beat writer needs opinions to help describe their subject they should call up people to go on the record with opinions about the story and then report those.
I couldn't agree more with the last two posts made. Well done.

Very good point! A return to true journalism is vital. Here here

Really? "Covering the President"? Like when he blathers about his ratings? Maybe they should be chasing the Trump ghost of "illegal votes" that damaged his ego or they could all do stories on how Putin called him a genius when he didn't. lol

Two points above that need expanding. "The Press" as it is called used to be newspapers and magazines/journals exclusively in print. When the concept of the "4th Estate" was established it was hundreds of years ago when Thomas Carlyle attributed the origin of the term to Edmund Burke, who used it in a parliamentary debate in 1787 on the opening up of press reporting of the House of Commons of Great Britain. Burke said, "...there were Three Estates in Parliament; but, in the Reporters' Gallery yonder, there sat a Fourth Estate more important far than they all." Meaning that the people should know about the goings on of government and to use the press to hold them accountable.

This concept was the foundation of our Bill of Rights, in that the 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of the press; the Founding Fathers knowing that in a new democracy the right of the people to know about their government and to hold them accountable was paramount.

Today there is a very different "Press", mainly because of technological developments far beyond Gutenberg. One thing to keep in mind is that a legitimate "press" should always question government about its actions, report those actions to the people, uncover misdoings of government and hold those and them accountable for their actions.

There are plenty of reasons to hold "opinions" about politicians and government and to publish those opinions identified as such. However, the people often see these opinions as news when they are not, see them as fact when they are not and also see them as bias when they are not.

The internet is full of things that are also associated with "the press" when they are not. Today any individual or group or organization can offer up their opinion and make it look like fact. They can sway their "facts" to represent any type of leaning, accuracy be damned as long as it gets their view point across and panders to their audience. It is difficult to weed out the good from the bad, the truth from fiction. A responsible citizenry should be able to honestly know the differences, measure the information, seek the truth and act accordingly. Democracy isn't a one-way street, it takes active participation on everyone's part.

Always ask questions, hold a contrarian's judgement on the things that seem to not be right and hold accountable those who would usurp the right of the people to an open and honest government; this facilitated by an informed populace aided by a free press.

At least that's what I was taught at the P.I. Reed School of Journalism (Media) at West Virginia University.

Two points above that need expanding. "The Press" as it is called used to be newspapers and magazines/journals exclusively in print. When the concept of the "4th Estate" was established it was hundreds of years ago when Thomas Carlyle attributed the origin of the term to Edmund Burke, who used it in a parliamentary debate in 1787 on the opening up of press reporting of the House of Commons of Great Britain. Burke said, "...there were Three Estates in Parliament; but, in the Reporters' Gallery yonder, there sat a Fourth Estate more important far than they all." Meaning that the people should know about the goings on of government and to use the press to hold them accountable.

This concept was the foundation of our Bill of Rights, in that the 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of the press; the Founding Fathers knowing that in a new democracy the right of the people to know about their government and to hold them accountable was paramount.

Today there is a very different "Press", mainly because of technological developments far beyond Gutenberg. One thing to keep in mind is that a legitimate "press" should always question government about its actions, report those actions to the people, uncover misdoings of government and hold those and them accountable for their actions.

There are plenty of reasons to hold "opinions" about politicians and government and to publish those opinions identified as such. However, the people often see these opinions as news when they are not, see them as fact when they are not and also see them as bias when they are not.

The internet is full of things that are also associated with "the press" when they are not. Today any individual or group or organization can offer up their opinion and make it look like fact. They can sway their "facts" to represent any type of leaning, accuracy be damned as long as it gets their view point across and panders to their audience. It is difficult to weed out the good from the bad, the truth from fiction. A responsible citizenry should be able to honestly know the differences, measure the information, seek the truth and act accordingly. Democracy isn't a one-way street, it takes active participation on everyone's part.

Always ask questions, hold a contrarian's judgement on the things that seem to not be right and hold accountable those who would usurp the right of the people to an open and honest government; this facilitated by an informed populace aided by a free press.

At least that's what I was taught at the P.I. Reed School of Journalism (Media) at West Virginia University.
Very good post. I agree with all points.

I watched Sorkin's Newsroom and it really opened my eyes to the romantic side of Journalism and what I wished it would be again.

Really? "Covering the President"? Like when he blathers about his ratings? Maybe they should be chasing the Trump ghost of "illegal votes" that damaged his ego or they could all do stories on how Putin called him a genius when he didn't. lol
Yeah, I'm for more accountability from the media as much as anyone. But Biff creates an entirely different accountability problem with his frequent use of 'alternative facts'. He then overeacts to getting caught by the media then either denies saying it or says he was misrepresented. Yeah, the problem is the media.

Reactions: WVMade
That is the only way for them to return to legacy or Murrow. Until then, blast their ass until they do.
Blast their ass? Donnie Bone Spur's not blasting anyone unless it's an illegal use of our military. Get your head out of the sand. Trump is losing. The U.S. has seen enough of this fool. It's only a matter of time before Donnie uses his own ignorance to eliminate himself from office. It's already happening.

Fv&k no he doesn't see it. Trump has painted the press and the scientific community with the same broad brush questioning their integrity and their necessity. Next he will go after government economists as soon as their is any negative economic news.

I have never been a conspiracy theorist but damn if Trump and Bannon aren't starting to worry me especially after he announced that he has evidence that 3.5 million illegals voted (all for Clinton btw) and that was the reason he lost the popular vote........and for some reason this isn't bothering a single fan of his.

Fv&k no he doesn't see it. Trump has painted the press and the scientific community with the same broad brush questioning their integrity and their necessity. Next he will go after government economists as soon as their is any negative economic news.

I have never been a conspiracy theorist but damn if Trump and Bannon aren't starting to worry me especially after he announced that he has evidence that 3.5 million illegals voted (all for Clinton btw) and that was the reason he lost the popular vote........and for some reason this isn't bothering a single fan of his.
AND I think the popular vote stuff was a smokescreen to prevent people from seeing that the EPA, HHS, and Dept of Agriculture have been given executive directives to prevent them from sharing information with the public.

AND I think the popular vote stuff was a smokescreen to prevent people from seeing that the EPA, HHS, and Dept of Agriculture have been given executive directives to prevent them from sharing information with the public.
We'll need to see where this goes. I'm sure he has grand plans to lobotomize agencies like the EPA, but science and common sense will win out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT