ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Some realignment notes

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
It seems inevitable now that by next week the Big 12 will welcome BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston into the league. The teams are expected to apply for membership and then be approved by the member schools. Those were the four schools that moved the needle the most in terms of football prestige, markets and best overall product. These were the clear cut options in order to try to strengthen the conference.

My understanding is that BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston would all come in with reduced payouts similar to what West Virginia had to deal with when they entered the Big 12. But like West Virginia that will still likely be more than any of those teams made in their other leagues.

The expectation is that they would join the league in 2023. There has been some talk that it could be 2022 for BYU but I’m not entirely sure about that.

There seems to be confidence that the Big 12 will very much remain a power five conference with autonomy status. So that is one concern that should be alleviated with these additions. It also creates a clear line between the power five leagues and what is left.

According to reports there is a belief that Oklahoma and Texas could even play in the league a year or two with the additions. We’ll see there but there’s a chance it could be a 14 team configuration although that would be limited.

From a purely football perspective this isn’t a bad league. There’s a lot of quality programs and high level football. Problem is there is no marquee programs but it does open an opportunity for West Virginia.

I’m not of the belief at all that any of these moves prohibit any other future realignment or options for West Virginia in terms of a new league down the line. Although it will be interesting to see what is done with grant of rights and things in 2026.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News