ADVERTISEMENT

Some notes from Happy Valley....

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001

New PSU OC Andy Kotelnicki looking to run Drew Allar more this season? I'd welcome any play he carries the ball, and Nick Singleton and Kaytron Allen are blockers or decoys....below is cut & paste from PSU Rivals site's latest report from practice:

=====================================​

QUARTERBACKS....​

Quarterbacks worked on some read option plays. Junior Drew Allar lost some weight. The perception is that Penn State will run its returning starter more often in designed plays to keep defenses honest.

True freshman
Ethan Grunkemeyer continued to impress. Grunkemeyer shows serious velocity on his throws for someone in their first year of college. The quarterback depth chart has a solid group after being a major question mark just three seasons ago.

RUNNING BACKS....​

Could we see some wildcat? While I could not clarify which running back took the reps, the skilled guys were seen doing those same option drills as the QB’s.
Redshirt freshman Cam Wallace is developing well. As eager as I am to see what true freshman Quinton Martin
can do, he may have to be patient as Wallace looks to solidify himself as the third tailback behind true juniors Nicholas Singleton and
Kaytron Allen.

WIDE RECEIVERS / TIGHT ENDS....​

It was not pouring by any means, but it was damp outside. There were no noticeable drops or problems securing the football among the pass catchers. Obviously, that is a good sign.

OFFENSIVE LINE....​

There is growing buzz around junior tackle Drew Shelton, as he is presumed to be the starter at that left tackle spot replacing Jets rookie Olu Fashanu.
Personally I consider JB Nelson a possible threat to turn things into a competition. However, in the second consecutive viewing window, Shelton was at tackle and Nelson was at guard.

DEFENSIVE LINE....​

Redshirt freshman Mason Robinson made some noise during pass rusher drills. Robinson will be a key piece moving forward after Jameial Lyons’s removal from the team.

SPECIAL TEAMS....​

Another year. Another place kicker battle. This edition will feature the veteran Sander Sahaydak versus transfer Chase Meyer versus redshirt freshman Ryan Barker.

Barker’s name might be a surprise to some people, but it should not. As long as Barker has a strong training camp, he is in the mix as much as anyone else.

COACHES....​

Andy Kotelnicki is proving to be an A+ hire just by his personality alone. The energy is positive and exciting. He gets along with the players. He builds chemistry with everyone that he can. Each practice window has been entertaining, to say the least.

Reactions: nickw79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News