ADVERTISEMENT

So how long have you been a Mountaineer football fan?

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Just curious. For me it's been since the mid-1950s...that's when I snuck into my first game and threw a ball around in the end zone with a couple of buddies at halftime and after the game. Old Mountaineer field had it's charm. Would look at the coming schedule and try to figure wins with Penn State, Syracuse and Pitt as automatic losses for the most part. Things "they are a changin'".

Reactions: Phil
My whole life but when I was 11 my grandparents took me to my first WVU GAME. It just happened to be the 1984 Boston college game. What a game!! I’ll never forget it. Craziest place that I had ever been. Fell in love forever that night!!

My whole life but when I was 11 my grandparents took me to my first WVU GAME. It just happened to be the 1984 Boston college game. What a game!! I’ll never forget it. Craziest place that I had ever been. Fell in love forever that night!!

Just curious. For me it's been since the mid-1950s...that's when I snuck into my first game and threw a ball around in the end zone with a couple of buddies at halftime and after the game. Old Mountaineer field had it's charm. Would look at the coming schedule and try to figure wins with Penn State, Syracuse and Pitt as automatic losses for the most part. Things "they are a changin'".

Since birth. And I was born in Chicago. My parents were both from WV as was my 3 oldest brothers who were born in WV. We returned to WV when I was 5 yrs. Old.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Lol...guess my question doesn't lend itself to Googling a bunch of unrelated facts and pasting them in a response. Either that or not many WVU fans on this Mountaineer forum.

Lol...guess my question doesn't lend itself to Googling a bunch of unrelated facts and pasting them in a response. Either that or not many WVU fans on this Mountaineer forum.
Saw WVU and W&L play at Laidley field back in the mid forties. I’m sure there are a few that go back farther. WVU has a drop kicker. Gene Simmons as l recall

Got to go to old Mountaineer Field to see WVU’s Artie Owens (King Aurther known by The Voice: Jack Fleming) running wild on Temple and WVU best Kentucky in a homecoming game. Both were in the mid 70s.
Start of being a fan would be in the mid sixties on.

My first Mountaineer football game was the pitt game in 1954 - pitt won 10-13. The place was packed. My dad got press passes and we sat down on the field right behind WVU bench.

I was born a fan back in 1960, and as luck would have it, my first game was the 1975 Pitt @ WVU game which may be one of the top games in program history, or at least has to rank high on the list. Ironically, our high school football team went back up for a game in 1976, and it was the Richmond game early in the season when I was a high school junior, and a teammate that was a senior had an informal recruiting trip. He ended up committing to WVU near the end of the school year, and was a backup safety his first couple of years, prior to getting injured. He then was the starting punter his senior year. We picked the Richmond game because there was a recent grad of our high school that was a starting DB for them.

I quit being a fan in 1997 and moved to Michigan.

I may be a bit of a "caret bagger" given my original Upstate NY roots, but I will confess to have falling in love with WVU and West Virginia from the moment of stepping on campus. I fell in love and I think I was accepted with open arms. More info if you want it. As for the original question, I think that's been answered but I've remained an avid Mountaineer since.

1995. My sophomore year of HS. Grew up a Nole fan, made my first trip to see WVU beat Pete Mitchell and BC. Loved it so much we bought tickets for the Syracuse game when they beat Kirby Dar Dar on thanksgiving. First away game was to Old Pitt stadium when Amos’ first carry went to the house. I never rooted for FSU again

Reactions: WVUALLEN
1995. My sophomore year of HS. Grew up a Nole fan, made my first trip to see WVU beat Pete Mitchell and BC. Loved it so much we bought tickets for the Syracuse game when they beat Kirby Dar Dar on thanksgiving. First away game was to Old Pitt stadium when Amos’ first carry went to the house. I never rooted for FSU again
I was at that game as well. That's the game where the Pitt announcer said over the loud speakers there was a tractor outside that left their lights on, WV plate EIEIO. Maybe they did that every time WVU played there, but I remember seeing several brawls after walking down the hill and into the small parking lots.

I was at that game as well. That's the game where the Pitt announcer said over the loud speakers there was a tractor outside that left their lights on, WV plate EIEIO. Maybe they did that every time WVU played there, but I remember seeing several brawls after walking down the hill and into the small parking lots.
Yea and the shithole stadium ran out of ice. Do you remember that? Warm coke is awful in August. God that stadium was garbage lol

Yea and the shithole stadium ran out of ice. Do you remember that? Warm coke is awful in August. God that stadium was garbage lol

I was there too! Was that the game where Abraham caught like a 70 yard pass for a TD for the win?

I've answered this question posed by the OP so many times that I feel like someone is trying to catch me in a lie. My answer is as it has always been - I've been a Mountaineer fan for as long as I can remember, and that goes back several decades. FWIW, I think my dad took me to my first game at Old Mountaineer Field sometime before the mid 60's and I've been a die hard WVU fan since.

I think that guy got fired for that.

I don't remember running out of ice, but I'm certain we mixed our coke with Jim, so likely were wasted by that time, so having no ice probably didn't matter.

I was there too! Was that the game where Abraham caught like a 70 yard pass for a TD for the win?
No, this one was the opening game of the season, and it was a blowout. 34 to nothing or something like that. Game you're talking about was either the year before or year after. That's the one WVU blew a huge lead, and almost lost the game, but scored on that long pass you're referencing near the end of the game. 47 to 41 final score.

A friend of mine when to a game at Pitt. As he walked to his seat, a Pitt fan saw his WVU sweatshirt and used the same old line: "Where did you park your tractor?" My friend answered, "Over there by the abandoned steel mill."

Reactions: Rootmaster
Since birth, earliest memories watching games was the magical 88’ season ( I was 5). I remember being at gatherings at my grandparents house watching the BC game and the Fiesta bowl that year. Been to million games since and spent 6 years at wvu

I can remember joining my older brothers in the kitchen to listen to the Mountaineers on radio. That was in the 1940's. My first game to actually see the team in person was at Bluefield in in 1954 with Huff, Bosely(sp) and Wyant. I was a senior at Pineville High that year. The opponent, by the way, was Virgin Tech.

Reactions: SeronimusPratt
Been a fan since I was 10 years old.

Attended first game in September 1977... Robert Alexander's debut. Beat Richmond 35-0, I think.
Got to see 5 glorious games at old Mountaineer Field;
1977: Richmond, Temple
1978: Richmond, Syracuse
1979: Tulane.

Then went to opening game of "new" stadium, 1980. John Denver sang.

Best games I ever attended:
1984 beat Boston College
1982 beat Maryland (week after Okie upset)
1988 beat Syracuse to finish 11-0.

We lived opposite end of state (Princeton).
Usually went to 2 games a year in Mo'town - and road game at VPI (55 minute drive).

-Winter Tim

WVU vs. Pitt 1965

Reactions: 1duluth1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT