ADVERTISEMENT

So, Florida State left out because the combined record of the teams they beat equaled a losing record?

ThePunish-EER

All-American
Aug 19, 2005
However, WVU at 8-4, under the same circumstances, is supposedly legit under Neal Brown? Seems the rest of college football disagrees with that type of analysis used around here and agrees that quality of competition does matter. Thoughts?

Stupid commentary. Apples to oranges. FSU didn't make the top 4 due to schedule as it is compared to other 4 teams that are above them. The argument isn't whether the coach did a good job or not. FSU is a darn good team, 5th best in the nation per the standards set up to evaluate for the CFP. WVU is not in the discussion due to 4 losses.

You play the schedule you have. But the result of all the wins can mean several different things.

Nope. You got it right. The CFB committee did have some tough choices, but excluding FSU was not one of them. UGA and tOSU were hands down better and Oregon can even make somewhat of an argument vs FSU. Since it is a moot point, the committee just threw FSU a bone by ranking them 5 and the first one out. But if any of the 4 teams in were not as good, no chance FSU gets in ahead of the Bulldogs or the Buckeyes.

Michigan and UW were easy choices. The hard decision was picking Bama, UGA, tOSU and Texas. Honestly I think Texas has the only loss to a team not in the playoff discussion which puts them behind the 8 ball. But they do have a win against a CFB worthy team and neither tOSU and UGA have those. So I think ultimately UGA vs Texas was the real issue and I bet to avoid SEC bias and bitching, they threw out UGA on that basis.

Stupid commentary. Apples to oranges. FSU didn't make the top 4 due to schedule as it is compared to other 4 teams that are above them. The argument isn't whether the coach did a good job or not. FSU is a darn good team, 5th best in the nation per the standards set up to evaluate for the CFP. WVU is not in the discussion due to 4 losses.

You play the schedule you have. But the result of all the wins can mean several different things.
5th best as a meaningless bone thrown to the Seminoles. No way the CFB puts them above UGA or tOSU if you subtract either Michigan, UW, UT, or Bama.

I wonder if WVU would have had a chance to play for a championship back in 1988 if the metrics we used today were in play. In 1988, the combined record of WVU's opposition was 50-71. FSU went 74-72 against its division 1 opponents; if you add in North Alabama, which is fcs, then you get 77-79. Anyway, if you look at it, FSU's schedule was murder row compared to the 1988 WVU schedule. I'm sure people on here would have taken issue if we were snubbed. This year, the WVU team could have won 10 games if we played some of the schedules from the past. I remember in the old days when you could circle the 3-4 games that we could possibly lose. Now we can only circle the 3-4 games that seem like sure wins. I think some lose sight of where the WVU program was back then compared to where it is now.

I wonder if WVU would have had a chance to play for a championship back in 1988 if the metrics we used today were in play. In 1988, the combined record of WVU's opposition was 50-71. FSU went 74-72 against its division 1 opponents; if you add in North Alabama, which is fcs, then you get 77-79. Anyway, if you look at it, FSU's schedule was murder row compared to the 1988 WVU schedule. I'm sure people on here would have taken issue if we were snubbed. This year, the WVU team could have won 10 games if we played some of the schedules from the past. I remember in the old days when you could circle the 3-4 games that we could possibly lose. Now we can only circle the 3-4 games that seem like sure wins. I think some lose sight of where the WVU program was back then compared to where it is now.
No I highly doubt WVU would have ever made it to the Championship game in 1988 if they used all of the metrics that they use now. Is it fair? That is the argument. The reality is, this is the way it is now, and even things like margin of victory makes a difference in todays game, in terms of rankings, bowls, selection committee's, etc. A lot of people think that by taking all of those things into account, they are making it more fair as far as getting the best teams in the right spots. It just is what it is. As far as this years team having 10 wins with some of our previous schedules, perhaps so, but now is now, and this years schedule was very realistic path to get 10 wins with this years team and there was plenty of talent on the team to do it. We just fell short of it.

Last edited:
However, WVU at 8-4, under the same circumstances, is supposedly legit under Neal Brown? Seems the rest of college football disagrees with that type of analysis used around here and agrees that quality of competition does matter. Thoughts?
The rest of college football? Seems to me it was a bunch of suits that play politics before football.

FSU was left out because the committee couldn't stand not having an SEC team in the playoffs. That's it, no if and or buts.

Why did they have FSU ranked so freaking high in the first place if they thought their record was not good enough?

People and lame excuses about records is hilarious.

Reactions: Tim_In_Hurricane
5th best as a meaningless bone thrown to the Seminoles. No way the CFB puts them above UGA or tOSU if you subtract either Michigan, UW, UT, or Bama.
Then why did they rank them in top 4 playoff teams all season?

If Big 12 is supposedly so weak why is Texas even #3? They had to put them in because they were gifting Alabama. Four top 25 games were at home until SEC title game.

Texas played 3 top 25 teams and only 1 top 10 they beat the 3rd best Big 12 team in title game.

Washington beat Oregon twice. Only ranked team they played.

Michigan played 3 ranked teams won all 3.

FSU beat 2 ranked teams on the road.
#13 LSU on the road
#16 Louisville (ACC title game)

Bottom line is Committee and ESPN couldn't stand not having an SEC team in the playoffs. It comes down to viewers and has nothing to do with who played who. Politics is all it is.

Reactions: Tim_In_Hurricane
Only problem is the Metrics change year to year to benefit certain conference.

The rest of college football? Seems to me it was a bunch of suits that play politics before football.

FSU was left out because the committee couldn't stand not having an SEC team in the playoffs. That's it, no if and or buts.

Why did they have FSU ranked so freaking high in the first place if they thought their record was not good enough?

People and lame excuses about records is hilarious.
You may have a point, but I think it had more to do with Alabama beating the invincible Georgia in the SEC championship. The real crime is Georgia and maybe Ohio State left out.

Only problem is the Metrics change year to year to benefit certain conference.
This could be true, ive always leaned towsrds it being true. I'm not saying it's not, but FSU definitely had a weaker schedule, and they also used an injury as an excuse to get who they wanted in the playoffs, Bama. I think this whole 4 team playoff is a sham, tbh. Its bullshit like the rest of it is these days. Someone is hell bent on ruining college sports and it's working. Its why we have shit like the poulan weedwacker bowl and all the other stupid crap.

This could be true, ive always leaned towsrds it being true. I'm not saying it's not, but FSU definitely had a weaker schedule, and they also used an injury as an excuse to get who they wanted in the playoffs, Bama. I think this whole 4 team playoff is a sham, tbh. It’s bullshit like the rest of it is these days. Someone is hell bent on ruining college sports and it's working. It’s why we have shit like the poulan weedwacker bowl and all the other stupid crap.
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but no matter how you do it, there’s 2-3 deserving teams that had to be left out. This is an odd year. Most years there’s only 3-4 legit and real NC contenders. This year, there’s at least 7. Idk how to determine the best 4 without putting all 7 on the field to play each other. FSU, Georgia, Ohio State can all make the claim they should be in that final 4. Problem is, nobody really knows. I think, in my opinion, the greatest team left out is Georgia. I don’t think anyone could’ve beaten them but Alabama and a slim maybe Texas

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but no matter how you do it, there’s 2-3 deserving teams that had to be left out. This is an odd year. Most years there’s only 3-4 legit and real NC contenders. This year, there’s at least 7. Idk how to determine the best 4 without putting all 7 on the field to play each other. FSU, Georgia, Ohio State can all make the claim they should be in that final 4. Problem is, nobody really knows. I think, in my opinion, the greatest team left out is Georgia. I don’t think anyone could’ve beaten them but Alabama and a slim maybe Texas
I agree with most of this especially best team left out is UGA. I'm a believer that UGA is worthy but they lost their chance for the playoffs. I am also a believer in Michigan, Washington and Alabama. I'm not a believer in FSU, OSU or Texas as passing my eye test at this time in the year compared to those other 4. But I can understand points being made for all 7 of those teams.

“Stop crying you Florida State crybabies!” 1993 WVU unbeaten, conference champion that was passed over by a one loss team says: How does it feel?
And we got spanked that year by Florida, correct? If we would have won against Florida, then it would have probably been a split national championship.

We got spanked. I was there as I was there in 88 against Notre Dame. In 93, I didn't feel we were a top 2 team. Point I think is being made is FSU didn't support other teams in the same situation in the past with their whining. They are acting like this is first time ever any team got passed over. I know a lot of FSU fans and not a single one handles their fandom with grace.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I agree with most of this especially best team left out is UGA. I'm a believer that UGA is worthy but they lost their chance for the playoffs. I am also a believer in Michigan, Washington and Alabama. I'm not a believer in FSU, OSU or Texas as passing my eye test at this time in the year compared to those other 4. But I can understand points being made for all 7 of those teams.
Again, my opinion doesn’t matter, but I think FSU is the weakest of the 7. The ONLY thing going for them is the unknown since they never lost.

In my opinion, in no particular order, the 4 Best

Michigan
Alabama
Washington
Georgia

We got spanked. I was there as I was there in 88 against Notre Dame. In 93, I didn't feel we were a top 2 team. Point I think is being made is FSU didn't support other teams in the same situation in the past with their whining. They are acting like this is first time ever any team got passed over. I know a lot of FSU fans and not a single one handles their fandom with grace.
Thank you for the correct interpretation.

Reactions: WVUBRU
The 1993 WVU was special and obviously overachieved. I think at least 5 wins were decided that year by 7 or less points. And that Florida team was very good. As for 1988, that team could’ve won the NC. Not only did Major get hurt on the first possession of the game, but Darrell Whitmore went down for a season ending broken leg in the final game of the season against Syracuse. He was a very valuable player in the WVU secondary. I think with both healthy and playing in that Fiesta Bowl, the result could’ve been different. We will never know

Reactions: WVUBRU
The 1993 WVU was special and obviously overachieved. I think at least 5 wins were decided that year by 7 or less points. And that Florida team was very good. As for 1988, that team could’ve won the NC. Not only did Major get hurt on the first possession of the game, but Darrell Whitmore went down for a season ending broken leg in the final game of the season against Syracuse. He was a very valuable player in the WVU secondary. I think with both healthy and playing in that Fiesta Bowl, the result could’ve been different. We will never know
The 1988 team played five teams that won 3 games or less

No I highly doubt WVU would have ever made it to the Championship game in 1988 if they used all of the metrics that they use now. Is it fair? That is the argument. The reality is, this is the way it is now, and even things like margin of victory makes a difference in todays game, in terms of rankings, bowls, selection committee's, etc. A lot of people think that by taking all of those things into account, they are making it more fair as far as getting the best teams in the right spots. It just is what it is. As far as this years team having 10 wins with some of our previous schedules, perhaps so, but now is now, and this years schedule was very realistic path to get 10 wins with this years team and there was plenty of talent on the team to do it. We just fell short of it.
We should have beaten Houston which would have made it 9 games. Possibly Oklahoma State but we probably finished close to where we should have. I think our talent is pretty much on par with the majority of the conference. I wouldn't say we have a decisive advantage in that department.

We should have beaten Houston which would have made it 9 games. Possibly Oklahoma State but we probably finished close to where we should have. I think our talent is pretty much on par with the majority of the conference. I wouldn't say we have a decisive advantage in that department.
This was a situation of a lot of luck and determination by WVU and Brown. Essentially WVU played 4 G5 schools and a FCS. Now, yea, I get it, those 4 are no longer G5, but they are only 1 year removed. The majority of those rosters are G5 kids. As for Oklahoma State, WVU played their hearts out but ran out of gas. OSU out scored them 28-10 in the 4thQ. Had it gone longer, it would’ve been a likely blowout. Also, let’s understand WVU didn’t beat anyone with a winning record except Duquesne. Let’s see how they do against UNC and hopefully get the win.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Definitely should have beaten Houston. Oklahoma State I mean we showed up in the beginning and then they took over later. The fourth quarter was the worst quarter of football I've seen maybe ever lol. But I think we're pretty evenly matched with Oklahoma State. They have that great running back but we've got a handful of very good running backs with one showing signs of greatness. They definitely smacked us around more than they should have in the 4th quarter. I do think they have better coaching including assistant coaches. I also think without Oklahoma and Texas, Oklahoma State and WVU should be the top dogs of the big 12., and in previous years it would have been that way but we are going through a brown time right now and who knows what's going to happen lol. I hope we emerge for real next year. We'll see

Definitely should have beaten Houston. Oklahoma State I mean we showed up in the beginning and then they took over later. The fourth quarter was the worst quarter of football I've seen maybe ever lol. But I think we're pretty evenly matched with Oklahoma State. They have that great running back but we've got a handful of very good running backs with one showing signs of greatness. They definitely smacked us around more than they should have in the 4th quarter. I do think they have better coaching including assistant coaches. I also think without Oklahoma and Texas, Oklahoma State and WVU should be the top dogs of the big 12., and in previous years it would have been that way but we are going through a brown time right now and who knows what's going to happen lol. I hope we emerge for real next year. We'll see
I think the addition of Utah is gonna really change the hierarchy of the B12. They’ve been consistently a top contender in the PAC12 for a decade now and won the conference a few times. I look for them to immediately contend for the B12 title. The addition of Arizona may immediately add another contender in the short time since they just finished 9-3 this year. I think BYU has enormous potential. And the same with UCF. Overall, I like the new B12 a lot.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I think the addition of Utah is gonna really change the hierarchy of the B12. They’ve been consistently a top contender in the PAC12 for a decade now and won the conference a few times. I look for them to immediately contend for the B12 title. The addition of Arizona may immediately add another contender in the short time since they just finished 9-3 this year. I think BYU has enormous potential. And the same with UCF. Overall, I like the new B12 a lot.
I actually forgot about Utah! Yeah they have been a solid team for quite a while now. BYU I have high hopes for too, and did this year but they kind of struggled a bit. Before season started, I wasnt sure we could even beat BYU and UCF, but we whooped them. I expect both of them to be better moving forward, but I still think the B12 is wide open and WVU could become one of the top teams in it. Just not sure if Brown is the dude to get us there.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
For those concerned about FSU, don't worry - Georgia will expose them in the bowl game. The real issue is Georgia should have been in over Texas.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
For those concerned about FSU, don't worry - Georgia will expose them in the bowl game. The real issue is Georgia should have been in over Texas.
I agree. Georgia will kill FSU and their 3rd string QB. Yes Georgia should have been in over Texas but Committee painted themselves into a corner by making Alabama 4th.

Politics and sports should not go together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT