ADVERTISEMENT

Slamming the brakes on Big12 Expansion?

Unnamed sources make for National m.The Big 12 is not dead until the GOR is close to expiring on June 30, 2025 at 11:59 p

I think this pretty much sums it up. allot of people don't want to make decisions in Business until they really have too. In the case of Texas with the LHN regardless if the thing is losing money there still collecting payments on it. Texas and Oklahoma will be fine either way regardless of what happens its the smaller schools that could end up getting the short end of the stick.

Jake Trotter of ESPN contradicts Chip Brown of Scout.com regarding expansion and all other issues on the table. He says there is no majority either way going into the meetings and the consultants will make their presentations later in the week. He does not expect any decisions relating to those proposals until later in the summer.

He doesn't name any sources which implies his knowledge is first hand. Anyone claiming to know what I do or do not have a problem with is being very presumptuous, especially relating to the rules of journalism.

If eight or more members vote to reject or accept any or all of the changes being proposed I will not sleep more than nine hours that night. We all have our own predictions and opinions relating to the future of the Big 12, none are any more valid than others. If any contributor to this forum actually knows what will happen in the future I suggest they spend a little time playing the lottery.

Last edited:
Jake Trotter of ESPN contradicts Chip Brown of Scout.com regarding expansion and all other issues on the table. He says there is no majority either way going into the meetings and the consultants will make their presentations later in the week. He does not expect any decisions relating to those proposals until later in the summer.

He doesn't name any sources which implies his knowledge is first hand. Anyone claiming to know what I do or do not have a problem with is being very presumptuous, especially relating to the rules of journalism.

If eight or more members vote to reject or accept any or all of the changes being proposed I will not sleep more than nine hours that night. We all have our own predictions and opinions relating to the future of the Big 12, none are any more valid than others. If any contributor to this forum actually knows what will happen in the future I suggest they spend a little time playing the lottery.
Just to be clear, they will need a supermajority of 8 votes to accept any changes. They only need 3 no votes to reject any proposed changes. I'm not going to lose a bit of sleep over what they do. That doesn't mean I'm not interested. My interest level in the subject is probably slightly above who wins the Memorial Golf Tournament this weekend, and slightly below who becomes president of the United States next year. At least I have a small say in the latter, which is more than any of us have in deciding the fate of the BIG12.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr

I'm not being presumptuous. When various posters would post articles that were pro-expansion, you didn't express the same kind of concern over "unnamed sources."

Actually some opinions are more valid than others, because some opinions are based on wishful thinking, rather that the actual facts of the situation.

Seems like way too many people WANT to be convinced that the Big12 is dead because they haven't expanded. If these 10 schools stick together, they are going to be OK for a long time. I have always counted on the fact that these presidents were smart people and would look at the data and make a responsible decision. At this point I would be surprised if they don't stage a CCG. It doesn't matter if there are 100 of you who think it is a stupid idea. It increases the chances of getting into the playoffs and is projected to bring in 2-3 million extra for each of the teams. Take the money, play the game, stick together, win a NC and wait for the future to develop.

That is the entire problem. If the BIG12 does fall further and further behind other conferences, Texas and OU will leave for greener pastures. The big question is how does the BIG12 keep up financially if they don't create their own subscription based network

That is the entire problem. If the BIG12 does fall further and further behind other conferences, Texas and OU will leave for greener pastures. The big question is how does the BIG12 keep up financially if they don't create their own subscription based network
I don't see how the Big12, the PAC or the ACC can keep from falling behind the BIG10 and the SEC. It is not a given that Texas or Oklahoma will leave or that they have enough incentive to leave or that they have a place to go. The big question is whether Texas and Oklahoma can remain happy with their financial positions even if the conference is only competing for third place in revenue. Texas and Oklahoma are still going to be making bank. How do you propose to stop these two schools from pursuing their own self-interests?

OU is not content with their financial position, the leagues financial position going forward, or the competitive position the conference will be in over the next decade, which is why their president is pushing for changes.

Fully expect that Texas intends to leave in 2025, so therefore others will begin working on making moves prior to that. The next Big Ten tv deal in 2023 is closely aligned with the Pac 12s next deal. Probably working in tandem to help each other out as getting Texas teams is the only thing that will save the Pac 12 with low interest and low payouts.

Since Texas only cares about Texas and has to have its LHN--the only place that will take them is the ACC-but that is as an independent. So UT will lose the $30-$40 million BIG 12 payouts-but they can keep their LHN and "branding" of that failing network.

OU is not content with their financial position, the leagues financial position going forward, or the competitive position the conference will be in over the next decade, which is why their president is pushing for changes.

Fully expect that Texas intends to leave in 2025, so therefore others will begin working on making moves prior to that. The next Big Ten tv deal in 2023 is closely aligned with the Pac 12s next deal. Probably working in tandem to help each other out as getting Texas teams is the only thing that will save the Pac 12 with low interest and low payouts.

Since Texas only cares about Texas and has to have its LHN--the only place that will take them is the ACC-but that is as an independent. So UT will lose the $30-$40 million BIG 12 payouts-but they can keep their LHN and "branding" of that failing network.
According to this set of statistics - http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
Texas is ranked #2 and Oklahoma #8 out of 231 public universities in sports revenue. Yet they are unhappy and expect to do better elsewhere... Right.

In the rest of the rankings, Big12 schools are ranked: OSU 26, Kansas 28, WVU 31, TT 41, KSU 46 and ISU 47. Baylor and TCU not listed because they are private I would guess. Pretty good for a conference that hasn't won a NC in more than a decade. Even if there is a growing disparity between conferences, OK and TX are going to be way up this list. I can neither see why either TEXAS or OKLAHOMA are unhappy OR why they would want to change, frankly.

You finally get it, Texas only cares about Texas, and is why we won't see expansion in the near future.

Texas might leave the BIG12 for the BIG or SEC, but they won't leave for the ACC, and maybe not even the PAC 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT