Six Scenarios Where Matt Rhule Could End Up Back in the Big 12 Conference

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
By Pete Mundo
Posted on October 11, 2022

Baylor Bears​

Could a reunion be possible? Sure, why not? No, Baylor isn’t going to move on from Dave Aranda. But what if reports are true that Nebraska is willing to “throw the kitchen sink” at Aranda, is he enticed to make the move to the Huskers? And if he does, wouldn’t Baylor have to call Rhule and wouldn’t Rhule show interest?

He always spoke highly about Baylor, and the Waco community at large, and it seemed genuine. So if those stars were to align and the opportunity were to present itself, it’s an obvious fit.

West Virginia Mountaineers​

Neal Brown has the hottest seat in the Big 12 right now. If after four seasons of mediocrity, the Mountaineers decide to move on, Rhule would be a natural fit. He’s originally an East Coast guy, growing up in New York City and then State College, Pennsylvania. He knows the region well not just because he coached in the Big 12 against WVU, but also because he previously coached Temple in Philadelphia. Having a grasp on the Pennsylvania recruiting scene is an important part of the job for a West Virginia head coach given the amount of high school football talent in the state.

Oklahoma Sooners​

Crazy? Too soon? Maybe, but maybe not.

Brent Venables is 0-3 in Big 12 play and has become the first Oklahoma coach to ever lose his first three conference games. And the defense is horrendous, giving up over 48 points per game in Big 12 play.

Colin Cowherd suggested on Monday that the Sooners move on from Venables and hire Rhule. Here’s the video.

Here’s Colin Cowherd saying the Oklahoma Sooners need to move on from Venables and go hire Matt Rhule. pic.twitter.com/uIsBHgiu4G
— Heartland College Sports (@Heartland_CS) October 10, 2022
He’s right about how quickly the college football world moves, especially in the transfer portal era. If Oklahoma thinks it’s gotten the hire colossally wrong, and Matt Rhule is out there, would they move on from an “OU guy” that quickly? It’s worth the conversation.

Kansas Jayhawks​

Like Baylor, this is once again more about an opening coming to be if their current head coach goes elsewhere. Lance Leipold could have multiple suitors in Nebraska and Wisconsin. He has ties to both states, and if one offers, does he jump? It’s far from a guarantee, but it’s a worthy storyline to watch as we move forward through the coaching carousel.

And then, if this opening were to come, Matt Rhule may be enticed by the fact that the heavy lifting at Kansas is already done. He knows the conference. He likely has some familiarity with the program. And he gets back in the game with a program that is on the upswing.

Iowa State Cyclones​

Similar to the Leipold or Aranda scenario, what if Matt Campbell finally gets poached by a Big Ten team. After Scott Frost was fired, Campbell was given the best odds to be the Huskers next coach. It seems less likely by the day, especially given Iowa State’s recent struggles, but Nebraska needs a program builder and Campbell has proven as much.

And for Matt Rhule, the same formula as Kansas applies. He gets to take over a program in a conference he knows that has a great foundation to work with a build off of. Is that appealing enough?

Texas Longhorns​

What if the wheels fall off in Year 2 for Steve Sarkisian? It’s looking less likely, especially with Quinn Ewers back at quarterback. But anyone telling you they can predict the future of the Texas football program is kidding themselves.

To be clear, I think Sark is in a fine position to continue into 2023 as the Texas football coach. But we’ve seen crazier things happen in the college football coaching carousel, and if the job ends up open, for one reason or another, you better believe Texas would be interested in Rhule, who might be the biggest name and hottest candidate on the open market.

By Pete Mundo
Posted on October 11, 2022

Baylor Bears​

Could a reunion be possible? Sure, why not? No, Baylor isn’t going to move on from Dave Aranda. But what if reports are true that Nebraska is willing to “throw the kitchen sink” at Aranda, is he enticed to make the move to the Huskers? And if he does, wouldn’t Baylor have to call Rhule and wouldn’t Rhule show interest?

He always spoke highly about Baylor, and the Waco community at large, and it seemed genuine. So if those stars were to align and the opportunity were to present itself, it’s an obvious fit.

West Virginia Mountaineers​

Neal Brown has the hottest seat in the Big 12 right now. If after four seasons of mediocrity, the Mountaineers decide to move on, Rhule would be a natural fit. He’s originally an East Coast guy, growing up in New York City and then State College, Pennsylvania. He knows the region well not just because he coached in the Big 12 against WVU, but also because he previously coached Temple in Philadelphia. Having a grasp on the Pennsylvania recruiting scene is an important part of the job for a West Virginia head coach given the amount of high school football talent in the state.

Oklahoma Sooners​

Crazy? Too soon? Maybe, but maybe not.

Brent Venables is 0-3 in Big 12 play and has become the first Oklahoma coach to ever lose his first three conference games. And the defense is horrendous, giving up over 48 points per game in Big 12 play.

Colin Cowherd suggested on Monday that the Sooners move on from Venables and hire Rhule. Here’s the video.

He’s right about how quickly the college football world moves, especially in the transfer portal era. If Oklahoma thinks it’s gotten the hire colossally wrong, and Matt Rhule is out there, would they move on from an “OU guy” that quickly? It’s worth the conversation.

Kansas Jayhawks​

Like Baylor, this is once again more about an opening coming to be if their current head coach goes elsewhere. Lance Leipold could have multiple suitors in Nebraska and Wisconsin. He has ties to both states, and if one offers, does he jump? It’s far from a guarantee, but it’s a worthy storyline to watch as we move forward through the coaching carousel.

And then, if this opening were to come, Matt Rhule may be enticed by the fact that the heavy lifting at Kansas is already done. He knows the conference. He likely has some familiarity with the program. And he gets back in the game with a program that is on the upswing.

Iowa State Cyclones​

Similar to the Leipold or Aranda scenario, what if Matt Campbell finally gets poached by a Big Ten team. After Scott Frost was fired, Campbell was given the best odds to be the Huskers next coach. It seems less likely by the day, especially given Iowa State’s recent struggles, but Nebraska needs a program builder and Campbell has proven as much.

And for Matt Rhule, the same formula as Kansas applies. He gets to take over a program in a conference he knows that has a great foundation to work with a build off of. Is that appealing enough?

Texas Longhorns​

What if the wheels fall off in Year 2 for Steve Sarkisian? It’s looking less likely, especially with Quinn Ewers back at quarterback. But anyone telling you they can predict the future of the Texas football program is kidding themselves.

To be clear, I think Sark is in a fine position to continue into 2023 as the Texas football coach. But we’ve seen crazier things happen in the college football coaching carousel, and if the job ends up open, for one reason or another, you better believe Texas would be interested in Rhule, who might be the biggest name and hottest candidate on the open market.

Laughable, he might as well wrote up for the other 4 schools

So you think Rhule stays unemployed the rest of his life?

Here is Rhule's college record.

At Temple
2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

At Baylor
1-11
7-6
11-3

That's pretty good. I think he's going to get a good job somewhere.

Here is Rhule's college record.

At Temple
2-10
6-6
10-4
10-3

At Baylor
1-11
7-6
11-3

That's pretty good. I think he's going to get a good job somewhere.
7 years 2 schools. No dedication or commitment.

One (or more) of Baylor, Kansas or ISU coaches will be poached. That is almost guaranteed. Most likely Brown will be back next year uess we go 0fer to end the season.

My 1st choice is to get a guy that does good and stays but my 2nd choice is to get a guy that does good and leaves.
As long as he is here no less than 7 years and wins from the start.

One (or more) of Baylor, Kansas or ISU coaches will be poached. That is almost guaranteed. Most likely Brown will be back next year uess we go 0fer to end the season.
Matt Campbell might have waited too long.

So Baylor is a ladder step but not WVU?
To be real, yes, a guy that kicks ass at WVU would probably move on. We're pissed about HCNB's record, but if he won like we wanted him to, he'd have gone 6-7, then 8-5, then 10-3 and now be on his way to 12-1 this season, and if all that happened then he'd probably end up somewhere else in 2023.

I'm not advocating for Rhule in particular, but I'm not against hiring a guy that fits the mold of "if he wins big, he'll leave" because anyone we hire will probably leave if they win big. I want someone that will come here and win big and if that happens then we'll worry about whether he'll leave.

I know this will sound crazy to many here, but I haven't totally given up on HCNB. If he was playing under the rules of five years ago then I'd be more pessimistic. With the transfer portal and NIL, things are so different that I think it's possible he'll still figure things out.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Rhule has a better resume than Brown or Holgerson and its not even close. He has taken two college teams who totally sucked and turned them into winners. The fact that he won at Temple says something because they were terrible.

I dont care if we get a coach who is in demand. We need that whether they leave or not. A good thing about Rhule is he failed in the NFL so they wont be knocking on his door again probably ever. WVU would be a good fit, imo.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Rhule has a better resume than Brown or Holgerson and its not even close. He has taken two college teams who totally sucked and turned them into winners. The fact that he won at Temple says something because they were terrible.

I dont care if we get a coach who is in demand. We need that whether they leave or not. A good thing about Rhule is he failed in the NFL so they wont be knocking on his door again probably ever. WVU would be a good fit, imo.
OH BOY!

This post will have Bucket head all fired up.

Rhule coached in a weak AAC for Temple. And Baylor already was solid in their foundation from Briles. They just had to recover from the scandal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT