ADVERTISEMENT

Sid Crosby on a pace for 41 points

Original Mountaineer1

Heisman Winner
Aug 27, 2001
probably the most notable stat related to Sid has 3 even strength points in 14 games this season. Yes THREE. He is -6 on top of that. Since the beginning last year he is -1. He has gone from the best center in the league to basically a third line center. he doesn't go to the net, he refuses to shoot, he continues to give the puck away like a rookie, and he can't defend the opponents defensive centers.

Bob Rossi was tweeting about Chris Letang's poor play so far this year and twice I asked why he refuses to criticize Sid.....no response. Twice this year I thought he played with passion. 2 of 14 games. This isn't new, he basically started floating around the ice since last November. I am not sure what the issue is with Sid, but if I were HCMJ I would elevate Malkin to the top line center position. At least he gives 100% more often.

probably the most notable stat related to Sid has 3 even strength points in 14 games this season. Yes THREE. He is -6 on top of that. Since the beginning last year he is -1. He has gone from the best center in the league to basically a third line center. he doesn't go to the net, he refuses to shoot, he continues to give the puck away like a rookie, and he can't defend the opponents defensive centers.

Bob Rossi was tweeting about Chris Letang's poor play so far this year and twice I asked why he refuses to criticize Sid.....no response. Twice this year I thought he played with passion. 2 of 14 games. This isn't new, he basically started floating around the ice since last November. I am not sure what the issue is with Sid, but if I were HCMJ I would elevate Malkin to the top line center position. At least he gives 100% more often.
Interesting stats. Sid starring in new edition of "The Invisible Man!"

Crosby is a very tough read; he's obviously doing nothing on the stat sheet, but you continue to read how hard he works while the team is largely winning. I honestly don't want to find myself opposed to Sid.....and having never played the game, I'm admittedly in no position to thoughtfully evaluate those things he's doing well which aren't (or can't be) measured on the score sheet.

But the simple reality is that big-money hockey superstars are evaluated both by wins (which is happening).....but perhaps even more so by scoring (which is not). Of course, Sid is stuck in a no-win position; Pens' fans (and the hockey world in general) essentially expect him to be at the top of the list in both areas, while the hockey media.....who proves every day they're sick to death of anything associated with Sidney Crosby.....picks and chooses on what specific factors they're going to hammer him today. Unfortunately, he gave the media that much more ammo when it became clear his chosen line-mate.....who the Canadian media coincidentally hates just as much.....had to be moved.

I said recently I'd like to see Sid a little more publicly "angry" with the way things are going, while saying concurrently that I realize he's simply not that kind of guy. However, until he starts getting on the score-sheet in a manner more consistent with his reputation.....or else we learn he's dealing with some kind of injury.....he's simply going to be forced to manage this notion he's been floating.

I admit I do find myself wondering if Sid privately (and for his own reasons) can't stand Mike Johnston; and that his meh play is a direct reflection of that notion. If Johnston gets sacrificed at some point......which could easily happen as as soon as their next losing streak (which may accompany MAF's return to earth).....it won't surprise me in the least if noise starts leaking from the locker room that Sid was heard gleefully arranging for the hearse.

As for Letang, even if you (or I) can't play the game, it's blatantly obvious the guy looks like a journeyman out there. You guys probably read the other day......after that sterling -4 he (and Sid, too) posted versus Calgary.....that his recent pairing with Ian Cole was, in some manner, being "blamed" for his lousy play. Of course, the only reason he's playing with Cole to begin with is because he and Maatta had to be split up because they were stinking up the joint.

It's no secret Maatta has been woeful this season, though I think the smart money is that he's beginning to turn things around (and if so, he'll might be back with KL sooner rather than later). However, I do think it's about time Letang joins Sid under the bare bulb. While he's admittedly coming off the rough 2014 /15 health-wise.....and for that reason, is probably entitled to a little breathing room.....he's still one of the highest paid D-men in the League (I think in the Top 5). And we are, after all, almost 20% into the season already.

Like Sid, I simply want Letang to get mad and personally deal with his issues by skating.....and putting the puck on goal......like the elite guy he's being paid to be.

Pascal Dupuis medically cleared to play tonight vs. Montreal

Crosby is a very tough read; he's obviously doing nothing on the stat sheet, but you continue to read how hard he works while the team is largely winning. I honestly don't want to find myself opposed to Sid.....and having never played the game, I'm admittedly in no position to thoughtfully evaluate those things he's doing well which aren't (or can't be) measured on the score sheet.

But the simple reality is that big-money hockey superstars are evaluated both by wins (which is happening).....but perhaps even more so by scoring (which is not). Of course, Sid is stuck in a no-win position; Pens' fans (and the hockey world in general) essentially expect him to be at the top of the list in both areas, while the hockey media.....who proves every day they're sick to death of anything associated with Sidney Crosby.....picks and chooses on what specific factors they're going to hammer him today. Unfortunately, he gave the media that much more ammo when it became clear his chosen line-mate.....who the Canadian media coincidentally hates just as much.....had to be moved.

I said recently I'd like to see Sid a little more publicly "angry" with the way things are going, while saying concurrently that I realize he's simply not that kind of guy. However, until he starts getting on the score-sheet in a manner more consistent with his reputation.....or else we learn he's dealing with some kind of injury.....he's simply going to be forced to manage this notion he's been floating.

I admit I do find myself wondering if Sid privately (and for his own reasons) can't stand Mike Johnston; and that his meh play is a direct reflection of that notion. If Johnston gets sacrificed at some point......which could easily happen as as soon as their next losing streak (which may accompany MAF's return to earth).....it won't surprise me in the least if noise starts leaking from the locker room that Sid was heard gleefully arranging for the hearse.

As for Letang, even if you (or I) can't play the game, it's blatantly obvious the guy looks like a journeyman out there. You guys probably read the other day......after that sterling -4 he (and Sid, too) posted versus Calgary.....that his recent pairing with Ian Cole was, in some manner, being "blamed" for his lousy play. Of course, the only reason he's playing with Cole to begin with is because he and Maatta had to be split up because they were stinking up the joint.

It's no secret Maatta has been woeful this season, though I think the smart money is that he's beginning to turn things around (and if so, he'll might be back with KL sooner rather than later). However, I do think it's about time Letang joins Sid under the bare bulb. While he's admittedly coming off the rough 2014 /15 health-wise.....and for that reason, is probably entitled to a little breathing room.....he's still one of the highest paid D-men in the League (I think in the Top 5). And we are, after all, almost 20% into the season already.

Like Sid, I simply want Letang to get mad and personally deal with his issues by skating.....and putting the puck on goal......like the elite guy he's being paid to be.
Letang made one nice play last night where he skated hard back to the Penguins zone to catch up with a Hab who was on a breakaway or, at least semi-breakaway, and dove and swept away the puck. Conversely, he had a very stupid interference penalty that the announcers (especially Eddie O.) were railing about as a penalty "you just can't take." It was a retaliation penalty because somebody had knocked him on his wallet a little earlier (a clean hit as I recall.)

I distinctly recall both Letang plays; on balance, I thought he was a little better last night than he's been most of the season. Like MAF (who everyone knows wasn't-so-good last night), I think he gets up to play his hometown team.

BTW, did you catch Milbury's rant at the stripes in the 2nd intermission for the two piddly minors called on the Pens (against Letang and Crosby) ?? Obviously, Milbury is a "let-em-play" kind of old timer; but those two situations were classic examples where the media typically loves to pile on the Penguins for their admittedly thin skins. For that reason, Milbury (who's no Pens fan in his own right) actually coming to their defense, I thought, was a pleasant surprise.

I don't commonly complain about officiating; I also realize (especially in hockey) the retaliator often gets called more often than the initiator. But like Milbury, I thought both calls were chicken-shit in a close game between good teams. I also found myself viewing the too-many-men minor on Montreal in the OT.....while it probably was a legitimate call.....as borderline shocking, since the better team (and I do think the Canadiens are better) typically gets the benefit of the doubt in those kinds of situations.

Meanwhile, in the Edmonton game the other night, the TSN broadcasters couldn't stop moaning about the number of posts the Oilers hit against the Pens. Well, things leveled out last night, as I think the Pens hit at least 4 posts (and I think the Canadiens hit a couple as well).

I distinctly recall both Letang plays; on balance, I thought he was a little better last night than he's been most of the season. Like MAF (who everyone knows wasn't-so-good last night), I think he gets up to play his hometown team.

BTW, did you catch Milbury's rant at the stripes in the 2nd intermission for the two piddly minors called on the Pens (against Letang and Crosby) ?? Obviously, Milbury is a "let-em-play" kind of old timer; but those two situations were classic examples where the media typically loves to pile on the Penguins for their admittedly thin skins. For that reason, Milbury (who's no Pens fan in his own right) actually coming to their defense, I thought, was a pleasant surprise.

I don't commonly complain about officiating; I also realize (especially in hockey) the retaliator often gets called more often than the initiator. But like Milbury, I thought both calls were chicken-shit in a close game between good teams. I also found myself viewing the too-many-men minor on Montreal in the OT.....while it probably was a legitimate call.....as borderline shocking, since the better team (and I do think the Canadiens are better) typically gets the benefit of the doubt in those kinds of situations.

Meanwhile, in the Edmonton game the other night, the TSN broadcasters couldn't stop moaning about the number of posts the Oilers hit against the Pens. Well, things leveled out last night, as I think the Pens hit at least 4 posts (and I think the Canadiens hit a couple as well).
I am not a fan of MM and it surprises me when he says anything good about the Pens. OTOH, Doc is my favorite sports announcer period, although I thought he has acting a little bit goofy at time this year. I like Eddie O. also. When I watched the replay on the too many men on the ice I was kind of surprised they called that also.

I am not a fan of MM and it surprises me when he says anything good about the Pens. OTOH, Doc is my favorite sports announcer period, although I thought he has acting a little bit goofy at time this year. I like Eddie O. also. When I watched the replay on the too many men on the ice I was kind of surprised they called that also.

Speaking only for myself, I'm nowhere as big a fan of Emrick as I used to be.....though it really has nothing to do with him losing it in any way, or that he misses the play (which I don't think he does).

I've just grown into the kind of viewer who's no longer big on these P-B-P old timers who think you have to verbalize everything that happens on the ice. IMO, that's not at all necessary for a televised game, especially when there's an analyst in the next chair (or between the benches). OTOH, I'm a huge Eddie O fan; I myself think he's as good an analyst as there is in the business, and that's on either side of the border.

Back to Doc's situation for a second, I actually became a pretty big fan over the past few years of NBCSN's second team P-B-P guy, Dave Strader. He's got the good voice, gets the play without motor-mouthing things, and is skilled at calling his game with an equal amount of enthusiasm for either side. Unfortunately, Strader got hired this season by the Dallas Stars as their TV P-B-P guy; though I'm not sure if that, by definition, makes him automatically unavailable to NBCSN at some point.

I'm thinking long-time Craps P-B-P guy Joe Beninati.....who I've never cared for based pretty much solely on his association with a team I can't stand......did freelance P-B-P in NBCSN's Versus days. If so, maybe Strader could still be available as a pinch-hitter for Doc at some point (say, for the second game of an NBCSN double-header.....which is more likely to happen later in the season.....and on a night when the Stars are idle).

Speaking only for myself, I'm nowhere as big a fan of Emrick as I used to be.....though it really has nothing to do with him losing it in any way, or that he misses the play (which I don't think he does).

I've just grown into the kind of viewer who's no longer big on these P-B-P old timers who think you have to verbalize everything that happens on the ice. IMO, that's not at all necessary for a televised game, especially when there's an analyst in the next chair (or between the benches). OTOH, I'm a huge Eddie O fan; I myself think he's as good an analyst as there is in the business, and that's on either side of the border.

Back to Doc's situation for a second, I actually became a pretty big fan over the past few years of NBCSN's second team P-B-P guy, Dave Strader. He's got the good voice, gets the play without motor-mouthing things, and is skilled at calling his game with an equal amount of enthusiasm for either side. Unfortunately, Strader got hired this season by the Dallas Stars as their TV P-B-P guy; though I'm not sure if that, by definition, makes him automatically unavailable to NBCSN at some point.

I'm thinking long-time Craps P-B-P guy Joe Beninati.....who I've never cared for based pretty much solely on his association with a team I can't stand......did freelance P-B-P in NBCSN's Versus days. If so, maybe Strader could still be available as a pinch-hitter for Doc at some point (say, for the second game of an NBCSN double-header.....which is more likely to happen later in the season.....and on a night when the Stars are idle).
Interesting thoughts. Another reason I like Doc is he's a big Buccos fan. Back in the day I used to like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement when they did the games on ESPN.

Interesting thoughts. Another reason I like Doc is he's a big Buccos fan. Back in the day I used to like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement when they did the games on ESPN.

That is true; and he really doesn't try to hide it.

BTW, I dialed up Emrick's profile on Wikipedia before making this post, wondering how this guy (apparently from Illinois) became a Bucs fan. It says he grew up listening to Bob Prince; so maybe his allegiance is that simple. He also taught at Geneva College (in Western PA) from 1969-1971, and is said to have broken into the NHL by covering the Penguins for the Beaver Valley Times as an unpaid "correspondent".

I also always wondered where his nickname "Doc" came from; it stupidly never occurred to me that he might actually be a PhD......interestingly, he received that degree from where my daughter is currently attending school, Bowling Green here in Ohio. Of course, that's Disco Dan Bylsma's alma mater as well.

Anway, for that reason alone, I'm a bigger Emrick fan now than I was a half hour ago :)

That is true; and he really doesn't try to hide it.

BTW, I dialed up Emrick's profile on Wikipedia before making this post, wondering how this guy (apparently from Illinois) became a Bucs fan. It says he grew up listening to Bob Prince; so maybe his allegiance is that simple. He also taught at Geneva College (in Western PA) from 1969-1971, and is said to have broken into the NHL by covering the Penguins for the Beaver Valley Times as an unpaid "correspondent".

I also always wondered where his nickname "Doc" came from; it stupidly never occurred to me that he might actually be a PhD......interestingly, he received that degree from where my daughter is currently attending school, Bowling Green here in Ohio. Of course, that's Disco Dan Bylsma's alma mater as well.

Anway, for that reason alone, I'm a bigger Emrick fan now than I was a half hour ago :)
Don't forget that Coach Nehlen coached at Bowling Green. I wrote Bob Prince a letter when I was in high-school and he wrote me back. Unfortunately, I lost it, along with everything else I owned, in the 1985 flood. I also had a program from the 60's I got at Forbes Field that was autographed by Willie Stargell and Vernon Law.

One thing I remember about Prince as a kid; that sonovabitch drank like a fish and smoked like an old Edsel.

Speaking of Forbes Field, Euell, lemme tell you a quick story......about 10 years ago, I got my first (and thus far only) chance to see a game inside Wrigley Field (I've seen a couple Cubs games since then on one of the left-field Rooftops outside the park). Anyway, I recall walking excitedly into the park underneath, and beginning the trek to the upper deck where our seats were located.

One thing that immediately hit me was the smell; you know, that recognizable old dank smell of dampness and grime and cigar smoke and (especially) spilled beer which you can only experience in the decades-long stillness of the depths of an ancient ballpark. I immediately got to thinking how reminiscent it was of similar smells I from my youth......after which I quickly realized that was exactly how Forbes Field used to smell when I was a kid.

I've heard it said that smell is among the most powerful of memory-joggers; and believe me, that sure made me feel like it was 1965 again......and I was preparing to go to my seat and watch Clemente and Maz as an 8-year old.

One thing I remember about Prince as a kid; that sonovabitch drank like a fish and smoked like an old Edsel.

Speaking of Forbes Field, Euell, lemme tell you a quick story......about 10 years ago, I got my first (and thus far only) chance to see a game inside Wrigley Field (I've seen a couple Cubs games since then on one of the left-field Rooftops outside the park). Anyway, I recall walking excitedly into the park underneath, and beginning the trek to the upper deck where our seats were located.

One thing that immediately hit me was the smell; you know, that recognizable old dank smell of dampness and grime and cigar smoke and (especially) spilled beer which you can only experience in the decades-long stillness of the depths of an ancient ballpark. I immediately got to thinking how reminiscent it was of similar smells I from my youth......after which I quickly realized that was exactly how Forbes Field used to smell when I was a kid.

I've heard it said that smell is among the most powerful of memory-joggers; and believe me, that sure made me feel like it was 1965 again......and I was preparing to go to my seat and watch Clemente and Maz as an 8-year old.
Another thing I lost in the flood was some b & w photos of Clemente I took when I was with my dad and we were sitting in right field. He was not very big in the pictures, but I was pretty excited about taking them.
Speaking of smells, have you ever smelled "flood mud?" Now there is a smell you will never forget!
We apparently are close in age. I was born in '56.

On a quick note gent's...I wholeheartedly agree with you...Eddie O provides some of the most insightful commentary in the biz...and doesn't feel the need to be heard at any moment of dead air as so many do nowdays...I've been outta the loop last few days, with work, and planning vacation for December...Pens at Kings Dec 5th! Super excited..... :cool2:

On a quick note gent's...I wholeheartedly agree with you...Eddie O provides some of the most insightful commentary in the biz...and doesn't feel the need to be heard at any moment of dead air as so many do nowdays...I've been outta the loop last few days, with work, and planning vacation for December...Pens at Kings Dec 5th! Super excited..... :cool2:

Was wondering where you've been......thought you might have spent with the week with Babcock and his new boards; BTW, has that project started yet ?? And going to see the Kings on the 5th......nice matchup !!!

Ugly game last night; Pens clearly had no interest outside the last 2 minutes. Still, too bad Hornqvist's kick-in was such an easy call for the ref to make; but I was thinking the minute after the Canadiens game that last night might not be very pretty.

We've talked in the past how Columbus has the physical advantage over the smaller Pens, and Hartnell has certainly taught them all they need to know regarding how to knock the Pens off their game. And if Bobrovsky decides to show up.....which he did, for about the first time this season.....wins over the Blue Jackets will prove consistently very difficult for this team. What hurts in particular, though, is they couldn't take advantage of Dubinsky......who personally drives Sid absolutely bananas every time they play.....being out of the lineup.

Not sure how tonight will go, since I haven't seen Jersey thus far this season. However, it's essentially a brand new franchise, and I don't know if Hynes still has them playing the old Devils trap. If so, the recipe to beat Jersey remains unchanged; they have to get the lead. if not, they probably can't score enough to come back for the second time in less than a week. As was the case versus Buffalo and Edmonton, they're going to need another solid effort from Zatkoff.....who I assume will start.....in order to win. However, my current confidence in JZ.....at least for now.....is actually reasonably high.

Meanwhile, it was good to see Texas give us some help today; doesn't seem to happen for us very often in the Big XII (though we do help our opponents out.....like OU earlier this season.....every so often). But just when you thought Howard might be turning things around after those nice balls he threw in the first half, he regresses (both running and throwing, and frankly, thinking). Still, I'm glad we have two games where we'll be solidly favored in the next 2 weeks.

The good game plan obviously continues to be give Smallwood the pig and force the opposition to stop him; you know, he really is rounding into a pretty-legitimate running back. Assuming he keeps this up, I'll be interested to see how much all-conference love he earns from a conference media who doesn't find it all that easy to embrace about our guys. Kwiatkowski happily had a pretty solid game, as well.

I still don't trust what we're going to do versus KSU.....

Pens look lousy again tonight.....getting beaten to pucks, typical problems with passes getting blocked, power play completely disorganized, badly outshot.

They got caught in an awful line change resulting in the 4 on 2 which led to the Devils first goal. Then, Sid gets stoned by Schneider on the shorthanded attempt, and Cammalleri (who's almost as big a Pens killer as Tomas Fleischmann) responds on the other end by victimizing Lovejoy for the current 2-0 lead.

You watch a game like this one.....and last night.....and you realize the Pens really did do it with mirrors (rather than legitimately good play) in that 10 of 12 winning streak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT