ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn't our goal be to challenge for the Big 12 title...

Realistically, given the size and tradition of our school, the massive base of atheletes we have to recruit from the state, and the fact that we pay our coaching staff more than any other coaching staff in college football, we should challenge for the national title every year. So, yeh.

Realistically, given the size and tradition of our school, the massive base of atheletes we have to recruit from the state, and the fact that we pay our coaching staff more than any other coaching staff in college football, we should challenge for the national title every year. So, yeh.
So it's OK to never challenge for the Big 12 title? OK then....Huggins would beg to differ but if finishing no better than middle of the pack in football is good enough for you then you are settling for continual and constant mediocrity. I think we can do better.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
So it's OK to never challenge for the Big 12 title? OK then....Huggins would beg to differ but if finishing no better than middle of the pack in football is good enough for you then you are settling for continual and constant mediocrity. I think we can do better.

If you remember, that was the mentality of our basketball team in the Big East. We should be content and "happy" with finishing between 9-12. Huggins came in, and he changed that mentality. Look at baseball. Mazey has done the same thing with expectations for that program. And look at his success.

West Virginia in football is sitting in between maybe two of the top six recruiting bases

Texas
Florida
California
South
Ohio,PA and NJ
DMV (DC,Maryland, Virginia)

I think WV needs to look East and South towards that area in both football and basketball.

In basketball the DMV is maybe the top recruiting area.
Texas is playing a football game there for basketball recruiting next year as Shaka Smart still has a lot of conenections in the area and pulled out Matt Coleman from Oak Hill Academy

at least once every 3 - 5 years? This is our 6th year in the league and we haven't sniffed it yet. I'm not so naive to think we're going to challenge for it every year but if we don't challenge for it at least occasionally, then what's the point?
We just became a FULL member. Can we allow a reasonable amount of time with us receiving the same $$& as the old guard before we begin our negative critique?? Geez does it ever get tiring having so many so willing to offer up so much poorly considered negativism. Surely we do not have such an over abundance of mentality challenged folks in WV.

We just became a FULL member. Can we allow a reasonable amount of time with us receiving the same $$& as the old guard before we begin our negative critique?? Geez does it ever get tiring having so many so willing to offer up so much poorly considered negativism. Surely we do not have such an over abundance of mentality challenged folks in WV.
TCU - ever hear of them?

No one in this conference receives the same amount of money
Revenue is only 50% shared
The other 50% is divided by televsion appearances.
Then their is third tier rights that the University controls and determines what they want to do with the game.
Like the Baylor Kansas game this week.
Both universities control the third tier rights. Most likely they will broadcast the game over the internet and allow viewers to pay a subscription fee

This is why KU has such a problem
I know last week's game was on FS1 and the previous week was on FOX but I believe this is their third of fourth game this year that is not picked up by the network who controls the first tier rights and second tier rights.
I know the UT/KU game will be on the LHN.
Texas gets 15 million a year for third tier rights.

KU by not getting the Tv money in football and not being able to make a lot of money off of their third tier rights in football damages their program because of lack of revenue.

Basketball revenue is no where close to football.

I am good with the continual and constant mediocrity. Give me another choice such as finishing no better than middle of the pack and it just confuses ole Warez. Seriously, I don't think we can do better. You cannot deny that Holgs puts a show on every week (on national TV) that thoroughly entertains the fanbase. It's all about the entertainment! Warezz

at least once every 3 - 5 years? This is our 6th year in the league and we haven't sniffed it yet. I'm not so naive to think we're going to challenge for it every year but if we don't challenge for it at least occasionally, then what's the point?
I think we are getting to the point DH and crew will have to make a serious run at it, next year needs to be really good, 8 starters back on offense and 7 on defense need to do something with that

Reactions: NC EnginEER
No one in this conference receives the same amount of money
Revenue is only 50% shared
The other 50% is divided by televsion appearances.
Then their is third tier rights that the University controls and determines what they want to do with the game.
Like the Baylor Kansas game this week.
Both universities control the third tier rights. Most likely they will broadcast the game over the internet and allow viewers to pay a subscription fee

No they don't. The Big 12 stopped the 50% division after Nebraska and Colorado left.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2011-10-03/big-12-schools-approve-revenue-share

TCU - ever hear of them?
You are merely confirming that you believe All things are equal. I subscribe to the position of looking at ALL pertinent facts and being reasonable and rational in the conclusions I draw.AS an engineer I am surprised you were not telling me such things. Oh well.

25% then.

What is has done is allow schools like KU to become welfare queens in the conference

All the conferences do that. It's nothing new. The "welfare queens" comment is just stupid. If Texas, Alabama, Southern Cal, whoever don't want to share revenue, then don't join a conference.

Duh!

If we’re challenging for the national title every year, it only makes sense we’d be winning the Big 12 every year.

If you’re willing to accept mediocrity and only challenge for the Big 12 championship, then I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Last edited:

To answer your question, no. We want a national championship and we want it right now, dammit! We don’t even want to wait until January.

Wait, how do you spell that word, “dammit” or “damnit”? But damnit sounds like you’re cursing a Penn State fan. Damn Nit.

But isn’t a nit a lice egg? So why do Penn State fans call themselves lice eggs?

What the hell were we talking about?

It is perfectly fine to NEVER compete for the conference championship as long as revenue levels (ticket sales, concessions) remain constant. WVU is in fine shape in terms of football revenue

It is perfectly fine to NEVER compete for the conference championship as long as revenue levels (ticket sales, concessions) remain constant. WVU is in fine shape in terms of football revenue
I realize you obviously think you’re being funny. Give up the act. Nobody is falling for it.

OK, I'll settle it for everyone with my long-proven expertise even though I no longer get well-paid for it:

1. You always aim for the conference championship EVERY year, unless you're Alabama and then you aim for the national title EVERY year.

2. I thought WVU had the weapons to do it this year with Grier, Sills, Simms, David Long finally healthy. So did many of you. That's what made Oklahoma State outcome so painful.

3. The WVU offense forgot everything it knew in the first 7 games. Inexplicably. It's a puzzlement.

4. Be careful that you don't adopt Tennessee or Florida's strategy of changing coaches at the drop of a helmet. There's a lot of wheel-spinning that may smack you in the face or butt or both.

5. WVU looked terrible for ONE game. Virginia Tech and TCU contests could have easily gone the Mountaineers' way.

6. Euphoria after victories and depression after losses is common among sports fans, but WVU fans seem to have elevated it to a tsunami after every game.

7. WVU football is the greatest sports entertainment in the world for me. Just enjoy it and stop the thumb-sucking, whiny-baby routine.

8. Fill up Mountaineer Field for the Iowa State game and yell till you're so hoarse than you can barely sing "Country Roads" after the "upset."

You are merely confirming that you believe All things are equal. I subscribe to the position of looking at ALL pertinent facts and being reasonable and rational in the conclusions I draw.AS an engineer I am surprised you were not telling me such things. Oh well.

What facts are you talking about?

Fact we are 1-10 in are last 11 games against ranked teams.
Fact we got beaten by a former rival with a 2nd year coach on a neutral field.
Fact Only Oklahoma has had more draft picks than wvu since we entered the Big 12.
Fact Iowa state hired a coach from Toledo who was considered one of the bright young stars of the game and now he has beaten two top 5 teams in the same year.
Fact look what happened to Washington when they hired Chris Petersen.
Fact the only bowl game Holgorsen has won with at team he fully recruited was against a 6-6 pac 12 scrub.
Fact Holgorsen is the patron saint of Mediocrity. Stop making excuse's and deal with it.

Reactions: NC EnginEER
Huh??? You started with the premise that we aren't performing as well as others because we haven't received as much money as the rest of the conference. I pointed out that we are in the same position as TCU regarding the amount we've received from the conference but haven't performed as well as them. Is that hard to understand?

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
OK, I'll settle it for everyone with my long-proven expertise even though I no longer get well-paid for it:

1. You always aim for the conference championship EVERY year, unless you're Alabama and then you aim for the national title EVERY year.

2. I thought WVU had the weapons to do it this year with Grier, Sills, Simms, David Long finally healthy. So did many of you. That's what made Oklahoma State outcome so painful.

3. The WVU offense forgot everything it knew in the first 7 games. Inexplicably. It's a puzzlement.

4. Be careful that you don't adopt Tennessee or Florida's strategy of changing coaches at the drop of a helmet. There's a lot of wheel-spinning that may smack you in the face or butt or both.

5. WVU looked terrible for ONE game. Virginia Tech and TCU contests could have easily gone the Mountaineers' way.

6. Euphoria after victories and depression after losses is common among sports fans, but WVU fans seem to have elevated it to a tsunami after every game.

7. WVU football is the greatest sports entertainment in the world for me. Just enjoy it and stop the thumb-sucking, whiny-baby routine.

8. Fill up Mountaineer Field for the Iowa State game and yell till you're so hoarse than you can barely sing "Country Roads" after the "upset."
The thing is I don't think we should get rid of Holgs....yet. He had a good year last year and probably deserved the extension. I think our recruiting has been above average. However, we're in our 6th year in the Big 12 and I'm getting impatient (I think a lot of others are also) to win a conference championship. I just really get tired of the supposed fans who seem to think that little old WVU can never play with the big boys.

Number 3 is only a puzzlement to folks who have not paid close attention to the previous games. The offense has gone MIA and struggled with garbage competition like the Delaware State, TTU and ECU. Grier hasn't had to face much pressure, but when he has it's ugly. Against both VT and TCU, the offense sputtered for at least a half. When it did get some what going against better defenses it really relied on big plays rather than consistent production. Hence, it's not exactly expected, but not a huge surprise that the offense would look so poor when playing a decent defense that can create pressure.

Number 3 is only a puzzlement to folks who have not paid close attention to the previous games. The offense has gone MIA and struggled with garbage competition like the Delaware State, TTU and ECU. Grier hasn't had to face much pressure, but when he has it's ugly. Against both VT and TCU, the offense sputtered for at least a half. When it did get some what going against better defenses it really relied on big plays rather than consistent production. Hence, it's not exactly expected, but not a huge surprise that the offense would look so poor when playing a decent defense that can create pressure.

I think you’re way off base. Oklahoma State game was an anomaly. Grier’s QB rating was 3.6 compared to 66.1 against Virginia Tech, 67.6 against TCU and 70.8 against Texas Tech.

Not even close.

I’ll give you this. The chump games, as it does for every QB in America, boosted his season to 197 for 309, 63.8% completition rate, 28 TDs, 9 interceptions, 162.6 QB rating despite the 3.6 against Oklahoma State, way below his performances against VT, TCU and TT. Of course.

Let’s look at the record:

Grier vs. Virginia Tech

31 for 53, 371 yards, 3 TDs, 1 interception, 66.1 QB rating

Grier vs. TCU

25 for 45, 366 yards, 3 TDs, 1 interception, 67.6 QB rating

Grier vs. Texas Tech

24 for 39, 323 yards, 4 TDs, 1 interception, 70.8 QB rating

Grier vs. Oklahoma State

20 for 42, 285 yards, 2 TDs, 4 interceptions, 3.6 QB rating

Exactly. WVU should be dominating the Big12 like it did the watered down Big East.

Duh.

I mean completely gloss over the fact they competed for the Big12 last season and are not eliminated from it yet this year but you get the point.

Blah blah blah

There are public, pretend goals and private, real goals. I assure you the only private goals for this football program are revenue based.

Otherwise we would be looking for a new coach
What kind of goals are looking for better fans?

Exactly. WVU should be dominating the Big12 like it did the watered down Big East.

Duh.

I mean completely gloss over the fact they competed for the Big12 last season and are not eliminated from it yet this year but you get the point.

Blah blah blah

Technically they are not but they need a lot of things to happen

Including TCU and Oklahoma St to lose twice
Winning out

West Virginia/Iowa St in a Big XII Championship will not happen

You can't have two schools without a fanbase or market

The ACC Championship failed early with Georgia Tech Wake

Can you name one famous ACC Championship

If you would ask the Top 10 Conference Championship game the Big XII would have 4 of them

Dana was brought here to compete for National Championships according to Oliver Luck. Must be why he bailed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT