ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question... Why is Tennessee football such a dumpster fire?

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
With the exception of having a ton of recruits in state, Tennessee seems to have just about everything going for it. As down as the SEC East has been the last 10 years or so, Tennessee has squandered a golden opportunity to reach new elite status heights.

I know their busybody donors get in the way and all, and their admin has made some bad decisions, but they don’t seem to ever overcome the blunders they make.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no love for the Volunteers, and their continued flopping only helps everyone else.

But their inability to ever get out of their own way - at least since their title year in what, 98(?), is just perplexing.

images

He ruined the last coaching search and Jeremy Pruitt got hired.

Before that it’s a who’s who of really bad hires.

Sad part is they could have had a decent sec coach in Tubberville but wouldn’t even entertain it.

It is indeed hard to believe they only have two seasons of 8 or more wins since 2008 and not one 10-win season since then either.

I think you probably could blame consuming alcohol through their asshole.
Their downfall all started in Knoxville when they began to experiment on new ways to get drunk.

They are stuck right in the middle when it comes to the recruiting wars. SEC, ACC, Big XII all around them.

AND Knoxville ain’t Nashville. Move them to Nashville and they would dominate recruiting.

2016 Tennessee was a very talented team on both sides of the ball.

The SEC schedule makers went out of their way to make it difficult on Tennessee.
By the end of the third game that team was broken. Then they had to play Alabama.

Still Butch Jones shouldn't have loss to S Carolina and Vanderbilt and this ultimately cost him his job.

2008 Texas went through the same thing having to play 4 Top 15 caliber teams in a row but unlike Tennessee they played the toughest first.
Even they ended up losing that last one to Tech in Lubbock and were never fully there the rest of the year.

The Big 12 schedule makers went out of their way to make it difficult on WVU scheduling the top 3 or 4 conference teams in Big 12 every year. Back to Back to Back to Back. And that doesn't count the OOC P5 teams they play.

UT has the curse of delusional fans and wealthy boosters. It seems to me they got slapped with some scholarship reductions a few years back along with rotating coaches after?

The SEC is the one power league in the country where even the bottom feeders will eat your lunch if you don't have a full roster of players to build a team around and a coach who's not up to the job. You can't hide flaws like that. Tennessee has been short on both lately.

Reactions: BarbieQdCouch
I wonder if Tennessee will offer Greg Schiano the job AGAIN and then resend the job offer after the fans find out AGAIN. Tennessee is what happens when fans or a few boosters run the AD. Meanwhile Fulmer is ready to jump in and finish out the season and try to weasel out another run as HC.

It's not all about the "tough" SEC schedule. I went and watched them almost lose to UMass 2 years ago...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT