ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question. Does it seem that the...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
quality of play...expectations for excellence...results...and fan enthusiasm has fallen off the table for WVU football and basketball?
And the "level of competition " argument is a red herring. In retrospect...Big East football and basketball was on a par with the All hype Conference we currently call home.

WVU Fan base has been the same since I've been part of it dating back to early 70's. Great when things are good and some of the worst bandwagon jumping fans when they aren't. I remember the fans running Bowden out of town in 75 and I remember all the negativity towards Nehlen in his down years. No difference now other than too many people get on the internet and say absolutely stupid crap while showing the fanbase would be better without them.

This basketball team reminds me of the one a few years back during the Big Turk's last year. No depth and the players we did have were one dimensional and did not make a good team. Not making excuses but one can either support the team while they continue to struggle in a very hard conference and understand that there will be many more losses as they aren't a group that will win many or just quit caring and being negative with a bunch of whining. Everyone involved wants to win and I firmly believe they are trying.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
quality of play...expectations for excellence...results...and fan enthusiasm has fallen off the table for WVU football and basketball?
And the "level of competition " argument is a red herring. In retrospect...Big East football and basketball was on a par with the All hype Conference we currently call home.
Big East football was never on par with the big 12. How many times did the big east have 3 teams that finished in the top 10? Especially the big east that wvu dominated in. Basketball is a different story.

WVU Fan base has been the same since I've been part of it dating back to early 70's. Great when things are good and some of the worst bandwagon jumping fans when they aren't. I remember the fans running Bowden out of town in 75 and I remember all the negativity towards Nehlen in his down years. No difference now other than too many people get on the internet and say absolutely stupid crap while showing the fanbase would be better without them.

This basketball team reminds me of the one a few years back during the Big Turk's last year. No depth and the players we did have were one dimensional and did not make a good team. Not making excuses but one can either support the team while they continue to struggle in a very hard conference and understand that there will be many more losses as they aren't a group that will win many or just quit caring and being negative with a bunch of whining. Everyone involved wants to win and I firmly believe they are trying.
Good answer..just not to my question lol.

I agree with WVUBRU and JasonV. Same as it ever was, but they're my team, win or lose. I don't even have a choice in the matter since I was raised gold and blue. The internet makes it much more contentious. It seems to me sports fans are about the same every where. You love it when they're winning and are silent when they're losing. I figure it hurts the athletes to lose a lot more than it does this old man.

[The conference comparison is no way a red herring. It is a fact.
I would prefer to play say, two home games against South Florida and Syracuse, go on the road to play Rutgers and Louisville, home at Cincinnati, away at Connecticut, and finish with Pitt.
VS
Home at Oklahoma and Texas Tech, then on the road at Baylor and TCU, home to Iowa St., away at Kansas St. and Kansas, and finish at home with Texas.]

Enthusiasm has certainly fallen, but I think that isn't just WVU. College football isn't as fun as it used to be. Between the wide open transfer portal, NIL deals, player protests, the explosion of luxury boxes, conference reshuffling that has teams like us playing a bunch of non-historic rivals half way across the country, it's just a business now. The players come and go so you don't get to watch them grow through the program. The whole system just isn't as fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT