ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting bowl teams

17-14

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Los Angeles
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ng-bowl-teams-college-football-awards-circuit

Select quotes:

When West Virginia wide receiver David Sills V arrived in Atlanta, he already had a Virginia Tech scouting report ready to go, knowing that fellow Big 12 pass-catcher and Fred Biletnikoff Award finalist James Washington would be looking for an assessment of the Hokies' secondary. Washington was joined by his Oklahoma State teammate, QB Mason Rudolph. Sills and the Mountaineers lost to Tech in Week 1, 31-24.

"They are long and physical at the corners," Sills told the Cowboys of Tech, against whom he hauled in 94 yards receiving and a pair of TD catches. "We had them at their best, at their healthiest. They've had some injuries and suspensions, but they are older guys, they've been in that system a long time. They keep plays in the front of them, so you've got to figure out how to get behind them deep at least a couple of times. But guess what? That's what James and Mason do best. I think they got excited when I told them that."

And...

It is worth noting that not everyone involved in awards week is also involved in the information market. The placekickers weren't being bugged a whole lot. Neither were the players who spent the year keeping their work inside the Group of 5. "Yeah, nobody's coming to me for anything or vice-versa," said Colorado State's Michael Gallup, a Biletnikoff finalist, looking up from his phone on the back row of the room. "I'm playing Marshall in the New Mexico Bowl."

Reactions: rjpeal and smooter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News