ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship chart

older gold

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
The scholarship chart above shows 78 of the 85 scholarships are currently awarded.

I wonder how many are former walk-ons who earned a scholarship.

I’m trying to better understand our attrition problem. That seems to be killing us.

We have 17 seniors on scholarship, including three (Campbell, Growden and Jones) who are band-aid one-year grad transfers. Another is your long snapper. Additionally, Petteway is done for the year. I believe Wickline is the only JUCO.

There are 21 juniors on scholarship, including Kendall who grad transferred (now injured). Simmons and Haskins transferred in, and Brown is a JUCO.

Doege is located in the Junior box, but his eligibility looks to be preserved, at least for now, so you should look at him with the Sophs.

There are only 13 sophomores left in the program. Cowan is a transfer and he is out for the season. Ryan is a transfer.

We only have 12 redshirt freshmen and still have 17 true freshmen.

A frequent complaint on this board has been JUCO recruiting. Right now, we have more transfers than we do JUCO players on our roster. It would be interesting to take a look at who has left us in the last 5 classes to better understand how we got into this position.

Again, you have to be careful with looking solely at that 78 roster number. I wonder how many of those 78 are walk-ons who were later elevated to scholarship level.

Of particular concern for the long-term rebuild are our low numbers in the redshirt freshman and sophomore classes. I don’t see how you can’t address those holes without tapping the JUCO market, at least to some degree.

Worth studying/analyzing some more. Please chime in with your thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News