ADVERTISEMENT

Russell Luna: Mountaineers advance to Big 12 quarterfinals

43rd Parallel

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
AN EXCERPT:

Tied at 27 in the second half, the Mountaineers (18-13) used a 25-5 run to break away and reach the quarterfinals of the Big12 Championship for a third straight year. Texas Tech (15-16) was limited to just 16 second half points in the loss. West Virginia returns to action against No. 2-seed Oklahoma on Saturday, March 7. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET at the American Airlines Center.

WVUsports.com

Grant Dovey: Davis' home run leads WVU in 10 innings

AN EXCERPT:

Junior right-hander Blake Smith (2-0) picked up the win for the Mountaineers. Smith pitched 2.1 innings of relief, allowing one run on four hits with two strikeouts and three walks.

"There wasn't anybody else in the bullpen," Mazey said. "He was either going to win it, save it or lose it. He was finishing that game one way or the other."

WVUsports.com

Ashley Bailey: Mountaineers wrestlers ready for Big 12 tournament

THE LINEUP:

125: Freshman No. 20 Zeke Moisey (27-12, 2-1 Big 12)
133: Sophomore Cory Stainbrook (14-17, 0-3 Big 12)
141: Senior No. 13/18 Michael Morales (28-10, 1-2 Big 12)
149: Senior Roman Perryman (4-12, 0-1 Big 12)
157: Senior Brutus Scheffel (7-13, 0-2 Big 12)
165: Junior Ross Renzi (12-12, 0-3 Big 12)
174: r-Freshman Parker VonEgidy (7-10, 0-3 Big 12)
184: Junior Bubba Scheffel (19-14, 1-2 Big 12)
197: Sophomore Jake A. Smith (24-8, 2-1 Big 12)
HWT: Junior A.J. Vizcarrondo (14-15, 1-2 Big 12)

WVUsports.com

Bill Nichols: Previewing tonight's Oklahoma-West Virginia showdown

AN EXCERPT:

Previous meetings: The teams split in the regular season, each winning at home. The Sooners defeated the Mountaineers 71-60 in their Big 12 opener, then West Virginia won 78-67. Junior Bria Holmes ranked second in the Big 12 at 19.2 points per game. She became only the third West Virginia player to grab consecutive first-team all-conference honors.

Dallas Morning News

Dave Hickman: WVU seniors may sit out Senior Day

AN EXCERPT:

The possibility looms large that West Virginia's basketball team will play its Senior Day contest today without any of its seniors on the floor.
Juwan Staten? He didn't even suit up for practice on Friday afternoon.
Gary Browne? He was in uniform and stretching, but when the balls were thrown out he went to a stationary bike.
And Kevin Noreen? Well, he hasn't played all season and today won't be an exception.

Charleston Gazette

Mike Casazza: Friday Feedback

EXCERPTS:

-- I've got a hunch Juwan Staten plays (today) and it would be cool if Kevin Noreen could be in uniform. But it's been a while since a home crowd happily, gratefully sent a team off into the tournament season, too.

-- (Watkins' technical) happened right in front of me. There was nothing. And Watkins, who if nothing else owns his fouls, couldn't believe it. Sometimes officials are looking for a way to cool down a game -- and they miss blatant push-offs.

-- Kansas put two bodies on Williams and Adrian sneaked in behind it. I don't know why, but I was watching him and he started from the perimeter and played it perfectly. There was a collective gasp. The white jerseys pounced, and what remained of WVU's bench that wasn't already standing jumped up. Staten's hands went in the air, because I spotted a gray sweatsuit in my periphery. And Adrian put it up quick, too. No dribble. No fake. I'm not even sure it was a soft move. It was quick, which it had to be, and Landen Lucas swallowed it whole. I think if he had to do it over, Adrian puts that ball up without ever coming down with it, but that's the only critique I have for that play. Sometimes a good play falls to a great play.

Charleston Daily Mail

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT