ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs

TexasforevEER

All-Conference
Nov 10, 2006
I see that WV has their eye on a 5'5", 150 lbs. running back out of Louisiana. Heck, I remember when WV had interest in signing Curt Warner (Pineville, WV) citing his size as being unimportant. I am guessing that Curt Warner was about 5'11' and maybe 185 lbs. right out of high school. Dadgummit!

Last edited:
I see that WV has their eye on a 5'5", 150 lbs. running back out of Louisiana. Heck, I remember when WV didn't have any interest in signing Curt Warner (Pineville, WV) citing his size (or lack of it) as being the major issue. I am guessing that Curt Warner was about 5'11' and maybe 185 lbs. right out of high school. Dadgummit!
I remember it the other way. Curt Warner had no interest in WVU.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Pineville was a small school and WVU had signed Robert Alexander the year before, who was rated the top back in the country. Cignetti had blown smoke up Alexander's ass by telling him WVU was making the switch to the "I" to get him to come. It didn't happen and there was a lot of bad blood as a result between state HS coaches and the fan base with Cignetti over it. The word was Frank couldn't be trusted re; what he told recruits.

From reading that article and recalling the times, it makes perfect sense why WVU didn't land Warner.

In the end no one really knows which high school "star" has what it takes...in a system that is favorable,,,at a school that is a match...will "make it." How many "stars" has WVU signed only to see them fade into athletic's dark hole.

I see that WV has their eye on a 5'5", 150 lbs. running back out of Louisiana. Heck, I remember when WV didn't have any interest in signing Curt Warner (Pineville, WV) citing his size (or lack of it) as being the major issue. I am guessing that Curt Warner was about 5'11' and maybe 185 lbs. right out of high school. Dadgummit!
That's not true. Cignetti tried hard to land CW.

Pineville was a small school and WVU had signed Robert Alexander the year before, who was rated the top back in the country. Cignetti had blown smoke up Alexander's ass by telling him WVU was making the switch to the "I" to get him to come. It didn't happen and there was a lot of bad blood as a result between state HS coaches and the fan base with Cignetti over it. The word was Frank couldn't be trusted re; what he told recruits.

From reading that article and recalling the times, it makes perfect sense why WVU didn't land Warner.
The article AZeer posted is exactly how I remember hearing it.

Also he's being recruited for the slot--I'm guessing.

That's not true. Cignetti tried hard to land CW.
Cignetti getting sick was a slight, he had hogkins lymphoma and nearly died. He was given last rights, I was in dental school then but everybody knew how sick Frank really was. I don't think Frank ever got a real chance. He wa just trying to live.

Reactions: CAJUNEER
And then to add injury to insult .... Curt Warner returned a kick-off for a TD in a brand new Mountaineer Field to secure a win over WVU in a game in which more than 1/2 of the crowd had left because of the very cold and rainy conditions. At least that is how I remember it.

That was Don Nehlen's inaugural season and even though the Mountaineers lost that game, the way they played, and came back in the second half, made many of the people who actually stayed for the game believe that Don Nehlen just might do something good with the program.

I see that WV has their eye on a 5'5", 150 lbs. running back out of Louisiana. Heck, I remember when WV had interest in signing Curt Warner (Pineville, WV) citing his size as being unimportant. I am guessing that Curt Warner was about 5'11' and maybe 185 lbs. right out of high school. Dadgummit!
Your memory sure 180'ed with the edit of your op.

I went to the doctor a few days ago explaining to him that ole Warez was suffering from amnesia. The doctor responds with..................'so you say you are having trouble remembering things?' Ole Warez says.............'matter of fact I am. Why do you ask?'

The article AZeer posted is exactly how I remember hearing it.

The way Alexander was treated at WVU up until his final season under Coach Nehlen was also the reason Carl Lee would not even consider WVU. Alexander gained over 1,000 yds in his senior year in the 'I' formation. He averaged over 5 YPC during his WVU career.

And then to add injury to insult .... Curt Warner returned a kick-off for a TD in a brand new Mountaineer Field to secure a win over WVU in a game in which more than 1/2 of the crowd had left because of the very cold and rainy conditions. At least that is how I remember it.

That was Don Nehlen's inaugural season and even though the Mountaineers lost that game, the way they played, and came back in the second half, made many of the people who actually stayed for the game believe that Don Nehlen just might do something good with the program.

Trying to remember but didn't hostetller relieve Blackledge and brought PSU from behind? I was there for that one. As bad a day as I remember.

I don't think Hostetler got in, but I was just trying to stay warm. Steady 30mph winds, just above freezing, hard cold rain and sleet from kickoff to finish. The game was a fumble fest, no one could hang on to the ball in those conditions. As both ends of the stadium were open then there wasn't a place to escape the weather except for the bathrooms. They were packed as the radio call of the game was piped in there. Absolutely the coldest I've ever been at WVU football game and I dressed for the weather.

There were a bunch of guys huddled up next to where we were, in the shadow of the press box on the upper level tucked down under the top wall, covered with ponchos trying to stay out of the wind. They invited us to join them, more themal mass I guess? The bunch of us were passing around cups of that God-awful RC they hawked in those days, 2/3's full of Wild Turkey. The wind chill was so bad, the surface of those liquor cups were freezing over. Alcohol doesn't freeze, my ass.

I don't think Hostetler got in, but I was just trying to stay warm. Steady 30mph winds, just above freezing, hard cold rain and sleet from kickoff to finish. The game was a fumble fest, no one could hang on to the ball in those conditions. As both ends of the stadium were open then there wasn't a place to escape the weather except for the bathrooms. They were packed as the radio call of the game was piped in there. Absolutely the coldest I've ever been at WVU football game and I dressed for the weather.

There were a bunch of guys huddled up next to where we were, in the shadow of the press box on the upper level tucked down under the top wall, covered with ponchos trying to stay out of the wind. They invited us to join them, more themal mass I guess? The bunch of us were passing around cups of that God-awful RC they hawked in those days, 2/3's full of Wild Turkey. The wind chill was so bad, the surface of those liquor cups were freezing over. Alcohol doesn't freeze, my ass.

I'm pretty sure he did, and he led them to the win. :ater that year, he didn't get to play in the bowl game and that's what led him to transfer.

You might be right, that was 35 years ago, my brain was clouded by the cold and the poisonous homemade anti-freeze combination we were passing around trying to survive.

I'm surprised wolves weren't circling the stadium that day looking for stragglers. Holy crap, it was awful. If it had turned over to all snow it wouldn't have been so bad, but that rain/sleet combo in the wind was a killer. You couldn't stay dry.

The way Alexander was treated at WVU up until his final season under Coach Nehlen was also the reason Carl Lee would not even consider WVU. Alexander gained over 1,000 yds in his senior year in the 'I' formation. He averaged over 5 YPC during his WVU career.

Who did Carl Lee sign and ultimately play for in college? I think I remember Carl but did he go by any other names?

I was there that day. 38 degrees or so and a misty rain made it hard to sit through. My Dad and my Uncle went to the Blue Lot to get drunker. I stayed for the entire game and drove them home. A very disappointing end to a close game but I left there thinking better days were ahead for my Mountaineers, and I was right. If I'm not mistaken Oliver Luck was our QB that day.

Who did Carl Lee sign and ultimately play for in college? I think I remember Carl but did he go by any other names?

Carl lee played cornerback for Marshall and went on to a pro career. He was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the seventh round in 1983. He played 11 years for the team from 1983 to 1993. During that time he started 144 of 169 games and had 779 tackles, 31 interceptions, returning two for touchdowns. He made the Pro Bowl in 1988, 1989, 1990.

He was indeed a South Charleston talent that would not even consider WVU because of the way Cignetti treated Alexander. I worked with his mother for all of those years.

Carl Lee had a great career in the NFL.....I won't knock that a bit, and he's a regular on Statewide Sportsline which I often listen to. Good guy in my opinion.

I was there. Still the most miserable I've ever been at a sporting event (and I was at the deluge of a Gator Bowl vs. FSU in 83?) Hoss did come in and help the Nits win that game, particularly scrambling for a key first down late. I also remember Robert Alexander breaking a 47 yard run down to the 1 yard line only to fumble it away. Would have won it if he holds on at the end of that run..

I went to the doctor a few days ago explaining to him that ole Warez was suffering from amnesia. The doctor responds with..................'so you say you are having trouble remembering things?' Ole Warez says.............'matter of fact I am. Why do you ask?'

I gotta admit that I'm getting the same way. Like the recounting of the PSU / WVU game in question, I know I was there but 36 years later I can't recall any details. Same with the '83 Gator Bowl, I went to the game and water ran down the aisles in a cascade, but I don't really remember any of the game except that the Mountaineers got beat.

Sigh....getting old I guess.

I gotta admit that I'm getting the same way. Like the recounting of the PSU / WVU game in question, I know I was there but 36 years later I can't recall any details. Same with the '83 Gator Bowl, I went to the game and water ran down the aisles in a cascade, but I don't really remember any of the game except that the Mountaineers got beat.

Sigh....getting old I guess.

I also attended the '83 Gator Bowl Yes, the rain was coming down like it was being poured out of a bucket. It was also a rather chilly night. OK..........I knew the Mountaineers were beat when FSU ran the WAR PONY onto the field................reared him up............and the young warrior chucked that flaming spear into the turf! I knew right then............it was over for the Mountaineers! I do remember drinking way too much scotch. My wife raised hail with me.

Wasn't there a rumor that PS bought Warner? I am too young to remember, but heard that.

I also attended the '83 Gator Bowl Yes, the rain was coming down like it was being poured out of a bucket. It was also a rather chilly night. OK..........I knew the Mountaineers were beat when FSU ran the WAR PONY onto the field................reared him up............and the young warrior chucked that flaming spear into the turf! I knew right then............it was over for the Mountaineers! I do remember drinking way too much scotch. My wife raised hail with me.

I was there. The game was over when Willie Drewery was returning a punt for an obvious touchdown while the score was close and he was caught from behind. No one had caught him from behind all season.

Speed kills and that's what happened. I remember walking through a group of their fans on the way in and being told, "We're gonna clean your Eers!" I thought, "How stupid?" Me being me, I had to tell him and his buddies, "Maybe, but we might just smash your 'semen holes!'

They cleaned our Eers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT