ADVERTISEMENT

Rudy joins the Trump Administration

Reactions: countryroads89
It's all nothing but hot air right now from you and the new administration.

So the Russian hacks were hot air (and I am talking about the U.S govenment hacks). The Chinese hacks of OPM were hot air? What was Obama's punishment of the Chinese again? I must have missed that one.

So the Russian hacks were hot air (and I am talking about the U.S govenment hacks). The Chinese hacks of OPM were hot air? What was Obama's punishment of the Chinese again? I must have missed that one.
Hot air means that you and the new administration are bloviating, trying to paint pretty pictures and write your own history. I will wait to see what happens.

Hot air means that you and the new administration are bloviating, trying to paint pretty pictures and write your own history. I will wait to see what happens.

That's fine. Wait and see. But Obama provided no such position in his Administration. Rudy is a great leader. Changes are coming. We need to do a much, much better job of security ourselves. And just as importantly, countries need to know they will pay a dear price if they continue to hack us.

That's fine. Wait and see. But Obama provided no such position in his Administration. Rudy is a great leader. Changes are coming. We need to do a much, much better job of security ourselves. And just as importantly, countries need to know they will pay a dear price if they continue to hack us.
Before the Department of Homeland Security was created, there was no homeland security? All we know now is that Trump is growing the government. Isn't that a pet peeve of Trump and his loyal followers?

Before the Department of Homeland Security was created, there was no homeland security? All we know now is that Trump is growing the government. Isn't that a pet peeve of Trump and his loyal followers?

So, you'd rather not focus on cyber security? LOL. I love the hypocrisy of libs. You have no idea if the government will grow under Trump or decline. Trump has pledged to greatly reduce the federal government work force. I think we can cut the fat, eliminate redundancies, eliminate unneeded departments and still hire talent to improve our security, all the while reducing the size of government. Why do you think the SEIU spent so much money opposing Trump. They love their high paying, tax payer funded jobs.

So, you'd rather not focus on cyber security? LOL. I love the hypocrisy of libs. You have no idea if the government will grow under Trump or decline. Trump has pledged to greatly reduce the federal government work force. I think we can cut the fat, eliminate redundancies, eliminate unneeded departments and still hire talent to improve our security, all the while reducing the size of government. Why do you think the SEIU spent so much money opposing Trump. They love their high paying, tax payer funded jobs.
He just created a new government office/agency, that's called growing the government. Apparently my point just flew over your head but that's no surprise. Yep the U.S. government had no cyber security until the former mayor came along, that's it. They should have just given him some space within HSA.

Except if it's Russia, then Trump will tweet about how smart the Ruskies are and that it could have been some 400 pounder in his bedroom.

He just created a new government office/agency, that's called growing the government. Apparently my point just flew over your head but that's no surprise. Yep the U.S. government had no cyber security until the former mayor came along, that's it. They should have just given him some space within HSA.

I love it when libs on this board defend the hacking of the U.S. to protect your chosen one, Obama. But your fellow Dems condemned the hacking and want more protections.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...illion-affected-by-second-data-breach/458475/

Your reading comprehension is at zero, well done.

Talk about reading comprehension?

Several lawmakers in both parties have called for the resignations of Archuleta and Donna Seymour, the chief information officer at OPM, since the data breaches came to light last month. A rush of statements Thursday added to that growing chorus building against Archuleta, from House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, and Republican Sens. John McCain and Marco Rubio, among other

That's prioritization. Don't worry, the hammer is coming soon. DC is nervous.

The level of Liberal hypocrisy is simply stunning. They complain about Russian hacking. They complain about Chinese hacking. Damn senators on TV all week have urged us to improve our cyber security.

Trump makes an important appointment with a focus on doing just that, and liibs on this board complain.

He will head up our Cyber Security program. We were hacked repeatedly under Obama. He did nothing. Rudy is a pragmatic doer. He will get us to the point where are cyber security is much, much stronger. I can't believe we have waited this long to actually, formally attack the problem with vigor.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/12/t...ni-to-lend-expertise-to-cyber-security-video/
Segments of the government have been focusing on cyber security for a while. Cyber security has a lot of pieces to it also. Some of the vulnerabilities you learn bout after being hacked. Another sticking point is the government purchasing rules. By the time you can purchase the latest and greatest stuff, it's old news. I'm fine with putting focus on the problem. I'm other sure that Rudy brings any expertise with him that helps.

Also, you want to bring in awesome talent at government pay grades. Despite what people claim about how overpaid government employees are, government pay in technical fields doesn't compare well with the private sector. Plus you have to put up with the bureaucracy of government, the purchasing rules being one piece of that puzzle.

Segments of the government have been focusing on cyber security for a while. Cyber security has a lot of pieces to it also. Some of the vulnerabilities you learn bout after being hacked. Another sticking point is the government purchasing rules. By the time you can purchase the latest and greatest stuff, it's old news. I'm fine with putting focus on the problem. I'm other sure that Rudy brings any expertise with him that helps.

Also, you want to bring in awesome talent at government pay grades. Despite what people claim about how overpaid government employees are, government pay in technical fields doesn't compare well with the private sector. Plus you have to put up with the bureaucracy of government, the purchasing rules being one piece of that puzzle.

I agree with most your points but Rudy has been an exceptional leader and I have no doubt he would be successful in this role.

Your last paragraph....I honestly don't understand someone with any amount of talent working on the Gov't side vs Private Sector. It makes zero sense to me.

Your last paragraph....I honestly don't understand someone with any amount of talent working on the Gov't side vs Private Sector. It makes zero sense to me.

Government pay is now higher on average then the private sector including benefits. Not saying this is the case for high tech workers, but things have changed. Government pay has gone up and private sector pay has languished and 94% of Obama created jobs have been part time.

https://fee.org/articles/federal-bureaucrats-are-paid-78-more-than-private-sector-workers/

Rudy is another me rather than we guy.

Yeah....unneeded departments like the EPA

Yeah....unneeded departments like the EPA

The EPA isn't all bad, but a few changes are required. First, all scientific research must be free of political interference. Secondly, the EPA must turn over all documents requested by Congress and are even withholding some ordered by a Federal judge. Third, all EPA regs that cost the country more than $100M, must be voted on and approved by Congress. The EPA is full of unelected bureaucrats that make decisions that profoundly affect our lives. Our reps must vote on such recommendations.

Other departments can be greatly reduced. The Education Department. The Energy Department. The Department of the Interior. Far too many employees and far too much waste.

Government pay is now higher on average then the private sector including benefits. Not saying this is the case for high tech workers, but things have changed. Government pay has gone up and private sector pay has languished and 94% of Obama created jobs have been part time.

https://fee.org/articles/federal-bureaucrats-are-paid-78-more-than-private-sector-workers/
You need an apples to apples comparison. You have a lot of government employees in technical and scientific areas. How does the comparison hold up when you look at pay in each field? I suspect you'll find that office workers in the government fare better than in the private sector. I also think that you'll find that anyone with technical expertise fares much worse.

I know some of this from experience. I have friends who were skilled tradesmen (plumbers, carpenters, electricians) working under contract on a local base. The decision came down that the contracts would not be renewed and they would hire in tradesmen as government employees. None of the guys on the contract applied because they would have gotten a huge reduction in wages. That's skilled trades. Look at engineers, scientists, IT folks, etc. I suspect you'll find the difference staggering in favor of working in the private sector where compensation is the yard stick. The benefits in civil service are pretty good. They are also pretty good in the public sector for engineers, scientists, and IT folks. The big difference is with a pension on the government side as compared to profit sharing or similar types of things on the public side.

I didn't liken him to anyone in particular - - are we being a little defensive?

You posted that Rudy is a me vs. we guy. I disagree but assuming you're right, I asked if he is like Obama? I have never before seen a President using the term "I" before in his speeches. He loves to refer to himself.

You need an apples to apples comparison. You have a lot of government employees in technical and scientific areas. How does the comparison hold up when you look at pay in each field? I suspect you'll find that office workers in the government fare better than in the private sector. I also think that you'll find that anyone with technical expertise fares much worse.

I know some of this from experience. I have friends who were skilled tradesmen (plumbers, carpenters, electricians) working under contract on a local base. The decision came down that the contracts would not be renewed and they would hire in tradesmen as government employees. None of the guys on the contract applied because they would have gotten a huge reduction in wages. That's skilled trades. Look at engineers, scientists, IT folks, etc. I suspect you'll find the difference staggering in favor of working in the private sector where compensation is the yard stick. The benefits in civil service are pretty good. They are also pretty good in the public sector for engineers, scientists, and IT folks. The big difference is with a pension on the government side as compared to profit sharing or similar types of things on the public side.

I did acknowledge this:

"Not saying this is the case for high tech workers, but things have changed."

However, when I was a young man, workers generally made far more money in the private sector. That is obviously not the case anymore. I am certain that some fields in the private sector are more lucrative, but I found several studies that look at averages, like this one using federal stats:

http://reason.org/news/show/public-sector-private-sector-salary

Also, I think that 4 of the 5 richest counties in the country are in and around DC. There are many factors involved in this figure, but it is revealing nonetheless.

I did acknowledge this:

"Not saying this is the case for high tech workers, but things have changed."

However, when I was a young man, workers generally made far more money in the private sector. That is obviously not the case anymore. I am certain that some fields in the private sector are more lucrative, but I found several studies that look at averages, like this one using federal stats:

http://reason.org/news/show/public-sector-private-sector-salary

Also, I think that 4 of the 5 richest counties in the country are in and around DC. There are many factors involved in this figure, but it is revealing nonetheless.
I'm less familiar with the stats at the state and local levels. I'm more familiar with the federal level stuff. I will note that some grand assumptions were made in the linked analysis. Those include that private sector workers are necessarily more productive than public sector. That's a baseless assumption. I've worked on both sides of that fence, and I've seen plenty of very productive people and plenty of unproductive people on both sides.

I'm not trying to say that government (any level of government) workers are better or worse. I'm not trying to say that they are necessarily overpaid or underpaid. I think those numbers probably vary based on the field of work. My big problem is when people say that government workers earn way more than the average worker without any concern about comparing relative education of the 2 groups or relative experience of the 2 groups. That's a bogus statistical analysis.

With respect to the wealth around DC, you often have a lot of wealth centralized around a capitol city. Do a ton of government employees live there? Yes. Do most lobbyists and a ton of government contractors also live there? You know it. I have several friends who work for the federal government and live in the DC area. Most have a long commute because of the cost associated with living close to DC.

I'm less familiar with the stats at the state and local levels. I'm more familiar with the federal level stuff. I will note that some grand assumptions were made in the linked analysis. Those include that private sector workers are necessarily more productive than public sector. That's a baseless assumption. I've worked on both sides of that fence, and I've seen plenty of very productive people and plenty of unproductive people on both sides.

I'm not trying to say that government (any level of government) workers are better or worse. I'm not trying to say that they are necessarily overpaid or underpaid. I think those numbers probably vary based on the field of work. My big problem is when people say that government workers earn way more than the average worker without any concern about comparing relative education of the 2 groups or relative experience of the 2 groups. That's a bogus statistical analysis.

With respect to the wealth around DC, you often have a lot of wealth centralized around a capitol city. Do a ton of government employees live there? Yes. Do most lobbyists and a ton of government contractors also live there? You know it. I have several friends who work for the federal government and live in the DC area. Most have a long commute because of the cost associated with living close to DC.

It sounds like you don't have knowledge of the relative education of other group either. Also sounds like you don't have knowledge of the relative experience of other group. And anecdotally I can assure you that at least in my experience the private sector is much more efficient than government. Have you tried calling the IRS lately? I have a try to get a new drivers license? The private sector is much more focused on customer service because they have to compete. Government doesn't.

It sounds like you don't have knowledge of the relative education of other group either. Also sounds like you don't have knowledge of the relative experience of other group. And anecdotally I can assure you that at least in my experience the private sector is much more efficient than government. Have you tried calling the IRS lately? I have a try to get a new drivers license? The private sector is much more focused on customer service because they have to compete. Government doesn't.
This link is from an analysis in 2010, and they cite most of their statistics from 2008. In 2008 over 44% of federal employees had at least a bachelor degree. The same measure in the public sector was just shy of 19%. The average age of the employee was also 5 years higher at the federal level.

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/12/are-federal-workers-overpaid/

I'm not going to argue that the federal government or other levels of government don't have some bad employees. I've also run into some very bad employees in the private sector. Neither side has a monopoly on those. And just because there is an incentive to provide good customer service in the public sector does not mean that you always get good customer service in the public sector. Those folks you talk to at the IRS - a lot of those people are contracted to those jobs, not federal employees. That's another reason for a pay imbalance. The federal government has been moving a lot of lower-paid positions to contract positions. That way they don't explicitly pay for the benefits for lower wage jobs.

Not much to argue with here. The only thing I see being measurably better is the ability to shitcan under performers in the private sector much easier.

Not much to argue with here. The only thing I see being measurably better is the ability to shitcan under performers in the private sector much easier.

I think just due to the nature of monopolies, customer service levels are much different. If you don't like the customer service at AT&T, just move over to Verizon. You don't have that choice with the US government.

And I am not talking about the poster in this thread but the Liberals always state that women only make $.77 on the dollar compared to a man. But they too don't compare education levels the jobs they seek, etc. very similar arguments that of been made in this thread.

I think just due to the nature of monopolies, customer service levels are much different. If you don't like the customer service at AT&T, just move over to Verizon. You don't have that choice with the US government.

And I am not talking about the poster in this thread but the Liberals always state that women only make $.77 on the dollar compared to a man. But they too don't compare education levels the jobs they seek, etc. very similar arguments that of been made in this thread.
You are absolutely correct about the statistics applied to male vs female wages. I'm not saying everything is even across the board when you compare experience and education levels across gender pay as well. I honestly don't know. I don't think that was done when they calculated the $0.77 to a $1.00 though.

It's honestly hard stuff to compute for a lot of these comparisons. I live in CO, and comparing wages to WV would say that the average Coloradan in overpaid in comparison to the average West Virginian. The problem is that cost of living is significantly different between the 2 places. I lived in the DC area (Silver Spring, MD) for several years. Cost of living was way higher there than what I was used to in WV. When I got my first job, I was shocked by how much money I made - I was thinking in terms of WV costs of living. In the DC area, it wasn't poverty, but I wasn't living high on the hog either. I was used to rent in the few hundred dollar range, and I paid over a thousand in DC. I was used to easy commutes to work, and I had to choose between paying for public transportation or paying more to park in DC - public transportation was the easy solution at the time. It was a shock at first, an easy adjustment, but a shock none the less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT