ADVERTISEMENT

RPJ

Snow Sled Baby

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton Va
you and mneilmont mentioned JC Snead below. My golf course was located inside a city park. Whenever we would cut down trees we would sell the wood for $5 a pickup load. I was sitting in my office one chilly afternoon when this guy walks in to get a wood permit.He's got the typical bibs, beard with tobacco juice look. I had a pitching wedge in the corner...guy picks it up, puts the perfect grip on it and says,,"you might not believe this but I'm the man who taught JC Snead how to hit 4 wood off the hardpan".....after he left I called my boss who was from Bath County and he said that after 5 locals could play for next to nothing, and that those farmer type looking dudes would shoot 72 and take every dollar in your wallet
glasses.r191677.gif

I grew up with people like that...

Speaking of which, when I was about 16, 4 of us drove over to play the Cascades Course and the Lower Cascades on the same day. Back then, the greens fees for each was the outrageous sum of $40. This would've been in about 1977. On our way to play the Lower, we passed by JC's farmhouse and he was sitting on the front porch with his leg in a cast. We thought that was pretty cool. It's a damn shame that the people who bought the Homestead before Omni closed the Lower cascades. That was a helluva good Robert Trent Jones design. Ever play it?

Re: I grew up with people like that...

yes I did and it kicked my tail.....it's a bike trail now...but my favorite of all 3 is the Homestead Course......they're so tight now they even charged the pro and I $25 last year....never done that before.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT