ADVERTISEMENT

Rock bottom

DAN79

Freshman
May 29, 2001
I cannot recall feeling this pessimistic about both key WVU programs (FB and BB). Can things get any worse for WV sports?

Who is confident that Wren Baker is going to get FB and BB going in the right direction? What have you seen from him so far that provides this confidence?

All eyes are on you Mr. Baker!

We have a good shot to turn in the worst combined FB/BB performance this year in all of P5, so that’s a great start to his tenure.

Who is confident that Wren Baker is going to get FB and BB going in the right direction? What have you seen from him so far that provides this confidence?
No Way What GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

I cannot recall feeling this pessimistic about both key WVU programs (FB and BB). Can things get any worse for WV sports?

All eyes are on you Mr. Baker!

This reminds me very much of late 90's/early 2000. RR with a couple losing seasons, bball in turmoil, almost hired Dakich... Things turned around.

Reactions: steeleer
This reminds me very much of late 90's/early 2000. RR with a couple losing seasons, bball in turmoil, almost hired Dakich... Things turned around.

RR had one losing season in 2001. He never had one after that. BBall had 4 out of 5 losing seasons from 1998-1999 season through the 2002-2003 season. JB also had only 1 losing season which was his first. This looks more dire as football has had losing seasons in 3 out of the last 4 and is highly likely to have another one. Basketball is in portal hell with no foundation and the entire future dependent on mercenaries following the coach we just lost.

Truly a good analogy. All we need to do is nail both of these hires like we did back then. Stimpy doesn’t strike me as that dude.

I was thinking around 1978... basketball went 12-16 and football 2-9.
Nehlen and Catlett brought in and we had a nice turnaround.
With NIL now, I don't think we have the $$ to compete with OhSt, USC, Texas, etc. Not sure I want to see millions thown at high school seniors to try to keep up with the rich alum of other schools.

With NIL now, I don't think we have the $$ to compete with OhSt, USC, Texas, etc. Not sure I want to see millions thown at high school seniors to try to keep up with the rich alum of other schools.
I don’t think anyone realistically can expect WVU to keep up with those bluebloods. However, we do need to try and keep up with top 25 program coaching salaries.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Catlett's highlight was the 98 season when beat Huggy and Cincy to go to the Sweet Sixteen.

Rod had 1 losing season at WVU. His first year. That was due to an injury to the starting QB.

Basketball did hire Dakich and then he took an about face and fled. Basketball wasn't in turmoil until Catlett final season when he stepped away in February.

Baker has his work cut out for him. Wvu has a history and tradition if winning and there is no excuse to not get some legit coaches in here. Go getm Wren

Not sure where you’ve been but we landed the top transfer class in basketball largely on the back of NIL…

Not sure where you’ve been but we landed the top transfer class in basketball largely on the back of NIL…
We did... and I hope they all stay.
I have doubts about us competing consistently in the NIL market for football & basketball.
It may be easier to just try and be good at basketball. You only have to buy 5 or 6 good players instead of 15 or 20 you'd need to buy for a top 10 football team.

Think we can keep them?
At this late date their options elsewhere will be limited. Most schools with the kind of NIL money that could sway our signees have already spent it, and if the guys Huggs brought in leave they aren't going to get paid. Where are some of them going to go? Europe? The G League?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT