ADVERTISEMENT

Rich admitted that he was wrong with his playcalling against Pitt

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Article was published after Rod left WVU and Michigan sent him off to Arizona eating humble pie.

Article quoting Rich after WVU and Michigan. I believe Rich.

Speaking about the Pitt loss:

"It makes me want to throw up,” he said. “I think I did watch it one time. I was so bad in calling that game. Pat [White] got hurt. We made some mistakes we never made. I played it too close to the vest. There’s a lot of things I would do over. I try not to think about that as much. But I try to think of the good things as opposed to that one terrible night.”

Rodriguez would change how he left West Virginia, though he doesn’t regret going to Michigan itself.

“Not digging into the whole exit, but I was advised not to have a press conference,” Rodriguez said. “Looking back, I should have had a press conference and stood before the great folks in West Virginia and explained why. People would have still been mad, and I understand that. But I could have told them a little bit what was going on. Even if they wouldn’t have understood it, there wouldn’t be as many crazy things floating around about that.”

Rodriguez said the departure was based on his thought that Michigan would have easier access to the financial resources needed to win a national championship than WVU.

“I don’t think I was unhappy,” he said. “I just thought it was a situation where I thought – I don’t want to say it would be easier to win a national championship at Michigan, but I thought there would be more of the resources.

“We were getting as much support in the state of West Virginia as you possibly could. I felt like we couldn’t keep asking for more, and to win a national championship we were going to need more. At Michigan you were going to have unlimited resources.”

So, this is Rich's version. I believe most of it. Yes, he was egotistical and overbearing but he also was a damn good coach. And he admits that he blew it in the way he coached the loss to Pitt. Ever hear of Rich admitting he was wrong much? I will ALWAYS be grateful to Rich for the great seasons he brough to my alma mater and me. I don't have time for being bitter and irrational. If Neal Brown does half as well as Rich then I'll be a NB fan, too, because anyone who does good for my alma mater, which did so much good for me, is A-OK in my book, no matter how they comb their hair, their skin pigmentation or their personality!

WVU WASN'T ABLE TO PAY FOR THE RESOURCES THAT RICH NEEDED TO WIN THE NATIONAL TITLE WITH THE MOUNTAINEERS. PERIOD. WHOSE FAULT WAS THAT? AD? BOOSTERS? DOESN'T MATTER. IT DROVE RICH FROM WVU. AND RICH HAS HAD A DOWNWARD COACHING CAREER EVER SINCE. RICH LOST. WVU LOST. HE WAS THE BEST WVU COACH IN MY LIFETIME. DON NEHLEN WAS A CLOSE SECOND. DOC SPEARS WITH THE ONLY UNBEATEN WVU TEAM IN HISTORY IN 1922 WAS #1 OVER BOTH #2 RICH AND #3 DON AND #4 BOWDEN.

• Angry
Reactions: Stan Kiser
Rod was full of shit. Instead of playing grab ass with Michigan, he could have spent his time preparing HIS ACTUAL TEAM to beat Pitt and WIN A NATIONAL TITLE WITH THE EXACT AMOUNT OF RESOURCES HE HAD AVAILABLE THERE.

Now if he had won against Pitt and then got destroyed by OSU in the NCG then you have a leg to stand on.

He didn't lose that Pitt game due to resources, he lost due to shitty play calling.

Reactions: mofo and WVUALLEN
Article was published after Rod left WVU and Michigan sent him off to Arizona eating humble pie.

"It makes me want to throw up,” he said. “I think I did watch it one time. I was so bad in calling that game. Pat [White] got hurt. We made some mistakes we never made. I played it too close to the vest. There’s a lot of things I would do over. I try not to think about that as much. But I try to think of the good things as opposed to that one terrible night.”

Rodriguez would change how he left West Virginia, though he doesn’t regret going to Michigan itself.

“Not digging into the whole exit, but I was advised not to have a press conference,” Rodriguez said. “Looking back, I should have had a press conference and stood before the great folks in West Virginia and explained why. People would have still been mad, and I understand that. But I could have told them a little bit what was going on. Even if they wouldn’t have understood it, there wouldn’t be as many crazy things floating around about that.”

Rodriguez said the departure was based on his thought that Michigan would have easier access to the financial resources needed to win a national championship than WVU.

“I don’t think I was unhappy,” he said. “I just thought it was a situation where I thought – I don’t want to say it would be easier to win a national championship at Michigan, but I thought there would be more of the resources.

“We were getting as much support in the state of West Virginia as you possibly could. I felt like we couldn’t keep asking for more, and to win a national championship we were going to need more. At Michigan you were going to have unlimited resources.”

So, this is Rich's version. I believe most of it. Yes, he was egotistical and overbearing but he also was a damn good coach. And he admits that he blew it in the way he coached the loss to Pitt. Ever hear of Rich admitting he was wrong much? I will ALWAYS be grateful to Rich for the great seasons he brough to my alma mater and me. I don't have time for being bitter and irrational. If Neal Brown does half as well as Rich then I'll be a NB fan, too, because anyone who does good for my alma mater, which did so much good for me, is A-OK in my book, no matter how they comb their hair, their skin pigmentation or their personality!

WVU WASN'T ABLE TO PAY FOR THE RESOURCES THAT RICH NEEDED TO WIN THE NATIONAL TITLE WITH THE MOUNTAINEERS. PERIOD. WHOSE FAULT WAS THAT? AD? BOOSTERS? DOESN'T MATTER. IT DROVE RICH FROM WVU. AND RICH HAS HAD A DOWNWARD COACHING CAREER EVER SINCE. RICH LOST. WVU LOST. HE WAS THE BEST WVU COACH IN MY LIFETIME. DON NEHLEN WAS A CLOSE SECOND. DOC SPEARS WITH THE ONLY UNBEATEN WVU TEAM IN HISTORY IN 1922 WAS #1 OVER BOTH #2 RICH AND #3 DON AND #4 BOWDEN.
Rich is, was, and has been s Bull Shit artist. Notice he fid not mention his destruction of University property, documents not really belonging to
Him in particular. Also avoided the attacks on WestVirginians with msny unflattering discriptions. He and his chief henchman OC (now returning to his side as OC) made absurd accusations of racism that he also did not discuss. He is slime and a minimum qualifier as a humanoid. Forgetting that he ever existed is the best path to follow as regards him.

Rich is, was, and has been s Bull Shit artist. Notice he fid not mention his destruction of University property, documents not really belonging to
Him in particular. Also avoided the attacks on WestVirginians with msny unflattering discriptions. He and his chief henchman OC (now returning to his side as OC) made absurd accusations of racism that he also did not discuss. He is slime and a minimum qualifier as a humanoid. Forgetting that he ever existed is the best path to follow as regards him.

BEST COACH AT WVU IN MY LIFETIME. i'LL LET RICH FINISH MY RESPONSE: Rodriguez said. “Looking back, I should have had a press conference and stood before the great folks in West Virginia and explained why. People would have still been mad, and I understand that. But I could have told them a little bit what was going on. Even if they wouldn’t have understood it, there wouldn’t be as many crazy things floating around about that.”
“I don’t think I was unhappy,” he said. “I just thought it was a situation where I thought – I don’t want to say it would be easier to win a national championship at Michigan, but I thought there would be more of the resources."

NO ONE WOULD DENY THAT MICHIGAN HAS MORE RESOURCES AND FAT-CAT BOOSTERS THAN WVU. UNLESS THEY HATE RICH SO MUCH THEY CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH. RICH WAS AN OUTSTANDING COACH AT WVU. THE RICH YEARS WERE GLORY YEARS FOR WVU.

Best winning percentages at WVU:
1. Clarence “Doc” Spears 80.8%
2. Bill Stewart 70%.
3. Rich Rodriguez 69.8%
4. Jim Carlen 64.6%.
5. Bobby Bowden 61.8%.
6. Don Nehlen 61.4%
7. Art “Pappy” Lewis 60.2%.
8. Dana Holgorsen 59.8%

Neal Brown is 1 game below .500 for his 3 seasons at WVU, the worst 3-season start in FIFTY YEARS at my alma mater. And you want to trash his coaching? And brag about Neal? Get real!

Rich woukd have won a natuonal title had he beat Pitt and then beat Ohio State. He had all the resources to get to that point and he fukn choked.

Reactions: CAK125
Rich woukd have won a natuonal title had he beat Pitt and then beat Ohio State. He had all the resources to get to that point and he fukn choked.

He had all the resources to get to that point and he fukn choked.

WRONG!

I'LL LET RICH SHOOT YOU DOWN:

Rich did not "have all the resources to get that point"! And Rich says he bungled the Pitt playcalling. At least give him credit for manning up about that mistake. Don't let your hate cloud your judgment. If your boss fired you for not being perfect you would be OK with that?

He had all the resources to get to that point and he fukn choked.

WRONG!

I'LL LET RICH SHOOT YOU DOWN:

Rich did not "have all the resources to get that point"! And Rich says he bungled the Pitt playcalling. At least give him credit for manning up about that mistake. Don't let your hate cloud your judgment. If your boss fired you for not being perfect you would be OK with that?
He obviously did have the resources. No amount of money or facilities cause him to call poor plays against Pitt. He choked. Even he admitted that. If we beat Pitt we were playing for a national title and we would have been favored to win. No further resources were needed, we got to that point with the resources available. He had all he ever needed to win a title here. He choked the game away. PERIOD.

Rod's narcissistic ego led him to depart WVU.

If you recall, rumors back in 2006-07 had him going to Alabama, prior to him being hired at Michigan in 2008.

He set Michigan football back an entire decade. One can only imagine what Alabama's fate would have been, had they gone with the 'spot-the-ball' philosophy instead of hiring Saban.

If you recall, rumors back in 2006-07 had him going to Alabama, prior to him being hired at Michigan in 2008.

He set Michigan football back an entire decade. One can only imagine what Alabama's fate would have been, had they gone with the 'spot-the-ball' philosophy instead of hiring Saban.
It was no rumor. He had the job then backed out at last minute. Alabama escaped a disaster.

"Article was published after Rod left WVU and Michigan sent him off to Arizona eating humble pie.".....my Lord, it's gotten this bad....CFE is copying and pasting articles from 11 years ago. Doesn't get much lazier and dull than that.

"Article was published after Rod left WVU and Michigan sent him off to Arizona eating humble pie.".....my Lord, it's gotten this bad....CFE is copying and pasting articles from 11 years ago. Doesn't get much lazier and dull than that.
That's what happens with the dementia filled individuals. See our President Biden for example.

Reactions: Rootmaster

Rich Rod to bama were not rumors. He was out the door and it all changed for whatever reason.

Rich Rod to bama were not rumors. He was out the door and it all changed for whatever reason.
WVU promised him better facilities and indoor practice arena and a pay raise.

Rod was full of shit. Instead of playing grab ass with Michigan, he could have spent his time preparing HIS ACTUAL TEAM to beat Pitt and WIN A NATIONAL TITLE WITH THE EXACT AMOUNT OF RESOURCES HE HAD AVAILABLE THERE.

Now if he had won against Pitt and then got destroyed by OSU in the NCG then you have a leg to stand on.

He didn't lose that Pitt game due to resources, he lost due to shitty play calling.
Fuking A

BEST COACH AT WVU IN MY LIFETIME. i'LL LET RICH FINISH MY RESPONSE: Rodriguez said. “Looking back, I should have had a press conference and stood before the great folks in West Virginia and explained why. People would have still been mad, and I understand that. But I could have told them a little bit what was going on. Even if they wouldn’t have understood it, there wouldn’t be as many crazy things floating around about that.”
“I don’t think I was unhappy,” he said. “I just thought it was a situation where I thought – I don’t want to say it would be easier to win a national championship at Michigan, but I thought there would be more of the resources."

NO ONE WOULD DENY THAT MICHIGAN HAS MORE RESOURCES AND FAT-CAT BOOSTERS THAN WVU. UNLESS THEY HATE RICH SO MUCH THEY CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH. RICH WAS AN OUTSTANDING COACH AT WVU. THE RICH YEARS WERE GLORY YEARS FOR WVU.

2. Bill Stewart 70%.
3. Rich Rodriguez 69.8%
4. Jim Carlen 64.6%.
5. Bobby Bowden 61.8%.
6. Don Nehlen 61.4%
8. Dana Holgorsen 59.8%

Neal Brown is 1 game below .500 for his 3 seasons at WVU, the worst 3-season start in FIFTY YEARS at my alma mater. And you want to trash his coaching? And brag about Neal? Get real!

Nope. Nope and nope.

Greatness doesn't including running to University of Michigan with his Hair Plugs on Fire - Chicken Sht PricRod.

Nope. Nope and nope.

Greatness doesn't including running to University of Michigan with his Hair Plugs on Fire - Chicken Sht PricRod.

YOU WANT TO PISS ON THESE GUYS, TOO?

WVU coaches career records

Overall
Rk Coach From To Yrs G W L T Pct G W L T Pct Notes
1 Don Nehlen
1980 2000 21 246 149 93 4 .614 13 4 9 0 .308
2 Dana Holgorsen
2011 2018 8 102 61 41 0 .598 7 2 5 0 .286
3 Rich Rodriguez
2001 2007 7 86 60 26 0 .698 5 2 3 0 .400
4 Art Lewis
1950 1959 10 98 58 38 2 .602 1 0 1 0 .000
5 Rat Rogers
1925 1945 9 83 44 31 8 .578 0 0 0 0
6 Bobby Bowden
1970 1975 6 68 42 26 0 .618 2 1 1 0 .500
7 Clarence Spears
1921 1924 4 38 30 6 3 .808 1 1 0 0 1.000
8 Gene Corum
1960 1965 6 61 29 30 2 .492 1 0 1 0 .000
9 Bill Stewart
2007 2010 4 40 28 12 0 .700 4 2 2 0 .500
10 Jim Carlen
1966 1969 4 41 25 13 3 .646 1 1 0 0 1.000

YOU WANT TO PISS ON THESE GUYS, TOO?

WVU coaches career records

Overall
Rk Coach From To Yrs G W L T Pct G W L T Pct Notes
1 Don Nehlen
1980 2000 21 246 149 93 4 .614 13 4 9 0 .308
2 Dana Holgorsen
2011 2018 8 102 61 41 0 .598 7 2 5 0 .286
3 Rich Rodriguez
2001 2007 7 86 60 26 0 .698 5 2 3 0 .400
4 Art Lewis
1950 1959 10 98 58 38 2 .602 1 0 1 0 .000
5 Rat Rogers
1925 1945 9 83 44 31 8 .578 0 0 0 0
6 Bobby Bowden
1970 1975 6 68 42 26 0 .618 2 1 1 0 .500
7 Clarence Spears
1921 1924 4 38 30 6 3 .808 1 1 0 0 1.000
8 Gene Corum
1960 1965 6 61 29 30 2 .492 1 0 1 0 .000
9 Bill Stewart
2007 2010 4 40 28 12 0 .700 4 2 2 0 .500
10 Jim Carlen
1966 1969 4 41 25 13 3 .646 1 1 0 0 1.000
Don Nehlen.

Just because PricRod sent you a nice Consolation ltr,
there is zero reason to elevate Rod to Ring of Honor that you strive, so to speak.

PricRod couldn't ultimately Accept Responsibility for the Pittsburgh game disaster.

At least Don Nehlen came back many times to work, know matter.

Yes Hall of Fame Member Don Nehlen.

Don Nehlen.

Just because PricRod sent you a nice Consolation ltr,
there is zero reason to elevate Rod to Ring of Honor that you strive, so to speak.

PricRod couldn't ultimately Accept Responsibility for the Pittsburgh game disaster.

At least Don Nehlen came back many times to work, know matter.

Yes Hall of Fame Member Don Nehlen.

I ADMIRE WHAT NEHLEN DID FOR WVU. BUT HE HAD HIS BAGS PACKED WAITING FOR THE OHIO STATE JOB THAT WENT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

AS FOR RICH NOT ACCEPTING RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE PITT GAME DISASTER, WHAT PART OF THIS DID YOU NOT READ?

Rodriguez said he has only watched tape of the Pitt game once.

“I can’t. It makes me want to throw up,” he said. “I think I did watch it one time. I was so bad in calling that game. Pat [White] got hurt. We made some mistakes we never made. I played it too close to the vest. There’s a lot of things I would do over. I try not to think about that as much. But I try to think of the good things as opposed to that one terrible night.”

Waiting for your hatred to find a hole in those quotes.

I ADMIRE WHAT NEHLEN DID FOR WVU. BUT HE HAD HIS BAGS PACKED WAITING FOR THE OHIO STATE JOB THAT WENT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

AS FOR RICH NOT ACCEPTING RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE PITT GAME DISASTER, WHAT PART OF THIS DID YOU NOT READ?

Rodriguez said he has only watched tape of the Pitt game once.

“I can’t. It makes me want to throw up,” he said. “I think I did watch it one time. I was so bad in calling that game. Pat [White] got hurt. We made some mistakes we never made. I played it too close to the vest. There’s a lot of things I would do over. I try not to think about that as much. But I try to think of the good things as opposed to that one terrible night.”

Waiting for your hatred to find a hole in those quotes.

I don't hate you,
just think you're Drooling over PricRod -
over and over again, month after month after month
needs practical recalibration.

Drooling over PricRod.

RichRod didn't stay long enough at West Virginia
to aspire any Greatness you desire

Last edited:

2. Bill Stewart 70%.
3. Rich Rodriguez 69.8%
4. Jim Carlen 64.6%.
5. Bobby Bowden 61.8%.
6. Don Nehlen 61.4%
8. Dana Holgorsen 59.8%

Admittedly, RR was an innovator and offered up exciting offensive fire power. However, he unexpectedly struck gold with Slaton and White who pulled, pushed and steered his wagon during their tenure. He never repeated the success he had at WVU while riding with the superb duo and nice supporting cast he had for a short time at WVU. You repeated the same, talk around; say little, you had posted earlier while doing what I noted from RR--talk around the childish actions that involved massive insults to residents of the State and many others while also destroying numerous documents, valuable/useful to the incoming staff.
Understand, he had a right to move elsewhere, especially when it was apparent that Eddie P. and others within the administration were not going to allow him to make 'moves' that could result in serious NCAA infractions. He seemed to believe that Michigan had more resources and might be more agreeable to his questionable tactics. Maybe the closest he came to offering some truth devoid of his circuitious, avoidance path was when he said "... I don’t want to say it would be easier to win a national championship at Michigan, but I thought there would be more of the resources." Yep, seems he thought the Michigan folks would more readily accept questionable actions by him. Then he proceeded to bad mouth more folks than I care to clutter my brain with storage of all the names and contrived issues, including absurdities regarding insulting references to racial slurs.
I repeat my contention that even in the face of some really good football wins he burned all available bridges and surrounding ground as he departed from this State by declaring that what he was leaving was really 'Nothing Special'.
Good by; Good riddance; Good for those maintaining pride is themselves, the University which we have supported for decades, and the State in general for drawing the line and sticking to it . We have ' washed that man totally out of our hair'! He should never be considered for an encore performance--HE ruined THAT chance as he sailed away the first time.

Reactions: mofo
Admittedly, RR was an innovator and offered up exciting offensive fire power. However, he unexpectedly struck gold with Slaton and White who pulled, pushed and steered his wagon during their tenure. He never repeated the success he had at WVU while riding with the superb duo and nice supporting cast he had for a short time at WVU. You repeated the same, talk around; say little, you had posted earlier while doing what I noted from RR--talk around the childish actions that involved massive insults to residents of the State and many others while also destroying numerous documents, valuable/useful to the incoming staff.
Understand, he had a right to move elsewhere, especially when it was apparent that Eddie P. and others within the administration were not going to allow him to make 'moves' that could result in serious NCAA infractions. He seemed to believe that Michigan had more resources and might be more agreeable to his questionable tactics. Maybe the closest he came to offering some truth devoid of his circuitious, avoidance path was when he said "... I don’t want to say it would be easier to win a national championship at Michigan, but I thought there would be more of the resources." Yep, seems he thought the Michigan folks would more readily accept questionable actions by him. Then he proceeded to bad mouth more folks than I care to clutter my brain with storage of all the names and contrived issues, including absurdities regarding insulting references to racial slurs.
I repeat my contention that even in the face of some really good football wins he burned all available bridges and surrounding ground as he departed from this State by declaring that what he was leaving was really 'Nothing Special'.
Good by; Good riddance; Good for those maintaining pride is themselves, the University which we have supported for decades, and the State in general for drawing the line and sticking to it . We have ' washed that man totally out of our hair'! He should never be considered for an encore performance--HE ruined THAT chance as he sailed away the first time.

Dang - what a great Summary.
Think you covered it.

You covered the Tactics, You covered the Emotions, you cover Ethics. You covered Strategy.

Damn good summary.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT