ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits that Never Were - Your Favorites

WVU_Dave

All-American
Jan 7, 2008
Dulce Base - 7 Levels Down
Nomatter the reason (good/bad/ugly) what are the best recruits that never made it stories?

I'll Start:

"Boyd to Heastie" - The Hampton duo of QB and WR who where going to have tshirts made with this slogan. Of course Boyd had a great college career, through NFL didn't stick. Not sure about Heastie.

Nomatter the reason (good/bad/ugly) what are the best recruits that never made it stories?

I'll Start:

"Boyd to Heastie" - The Hampton duo of QB and WR who where going to have tshirts made with this slogan. Of course Boyd had a great college career, through NFL didn't stick. Not sure about Heastie.

Tevita Finau.

My top 4
Terrance Kerns-
Tevita Finau-
Vince Beamer-
Aaa Chapman - highly touted in 2 separate classes as the next Vince Wilfork/Fridge Perry

Reactions: COOL MAN

I'll Start:

Sal Sunseri

Marvin Rodgers on the basketball side, early to mid 90s.... Wasnt he like a top 50 recruit?? I believe he got into some trouble/grades..

You could also throw in someone from my hometown of Martinsburg.... Brandon Barrett..

I would say Tevita wins. Gwaltney was recruited and came here that year

It seemed like we were recruiting Finau longer than I was in college

Tevita by far. He was a legend in his time...but did anyone ever see him for real?

Seeing JWG66's posting of Perlo Bastien just made me LOL! We even had a phrase attached to his name
Third and Perlo...Hahaha... I'm sure he is a good man had to laugh at this..

Seeing JWG66's posting of Perlo Bastien just made me LOL! We even had a phrase attached to his name
Third and Perlo...Hahaha... I'm sure he is a good man had to laugh at this..
Actually, except for McBrien, I kinda had mixed emotions about posting. I know there are often circumstances that hamper productivity and kids that give all they have and can’t be productive don’t deserve disrespect. It was just so frustrating to see him targeted so often. Sort of same thing with Lyons. I do remember Lyons throwing some good blocks. Hope they are doing well today too. Except for McBrien. He can eat shot.

Actually, except for McBrien, I kinda had mixed emotions about posting. I know there are often circumstances that hamper productivity and kids that give all they have and can’t be productive don’t deserve disrespect. It was just so frustrating to see him targeted so often. Sort of same thing with Lyons. I do remember Lyons throwing some good blocks. Hope they are doing well today too. Except for McBrien. He can eat shot.
AGREE with you about McBrien...LOL

Reactions: JWG66
Devan Balwinkle

6’6 Point Guard who was never the same after breaking his wrist (twice I believe) in 2006-07

BJ Byerson

6’7 PF known as “Mr Inside/Outside” in HS

Played D2 ball at Virginia Union and in the pros for a few years. Did well everywhere he landed

Last edited:
Devan Balwinkle

6’6 Point Guard who was never the same after breaking his wrist (twice I believe) in 2006-07

BJ Byerson

6’7 PF known as “Mr Inside/Outside” in HS

Played D2 ball at Virginia Union and in the pros for a few years. Did well everywhere he landed
Another BBall recruit.... Antwain Smith from VA.... early to mid 90s.... signed LOI with WVU... ended up being an academic casualty, went to a D2 or D3 school (St Pauls,VA). Ended up having a legit career there and was actually drafted in 2nd round of NBA draft....

Marvin Rodgers on the basketball side, early to mid 90s.... Wasnt he like a top 50 recruit?? I believe he got into some trouble/grades..

Yeah, something happened before he ever saw the court, but I can't remember what. I remember Gale's quote on his talk show when he signed him, "That one? We're just getting him ready for the pros. He'll only be here a season or two." LOL!

Calling "The Gale Catlett Show" a "call-in show" was the biggest whopper of that era. Jack and Gale would take the weekly call from Homer, and maybe two more, that was plenty to get them going. The rest of it was Jack and Gale bs'ing and God help the state if Gale brought his guitar.

Reactions: Jesse74
Bobby Sabelhaus, Jason Gwaltney, Osa Nosa, Tevita Finau, Jonathan Hargett, Brandon Barrett, JR House, Tyler Benoit, Ford Childress, Joe Sykes, Pat Lazear

Last edited:
Reactions: eerphone
Bobby Sabelhaus, Jason Gwaltney, Osa Nosa, Tevita Finau, Jonathan Hargett, Brandon Barrett, JR House, Tyler Benoit, Ford Childress, Joe Sykes, Pat Lazear
A little side note....Pat Lazear's brother Tyler was the starting QB for Shepherd a few seasons ago....

1. Gwaltney. 2. Sabelhouse (way overrated) 3. Hargett. 4. Kearns (alleged purse snatcher in Motown) . Honorable mention: Dakitch. I kid.

Reactions: JWG66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT