ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Mazey treats midweek games like scrimmages

Inexcusable. He treats the pitching mound as a merry-go-round then wonders why the pitching wasn't good. Stick with someone for better or worse. Don't just let us tank a game that should have been won all because you think everyone needs to pitch an inning each week. Our RPI was hovering around 50 and will take a hit for this.

It's freaking Canisius. Van Bunts used to run up scores on teams like them in the early aughts.

Mazey has arguably the best ball park in college baseball and he was trying to get the Clemson job. After meeting him, I dont know how he can get people to play for him. I don't have to like a guy at all if he wins but when you're not the most likable fella and you lose, well...........

Not defending Mazey, but I question how much help the new park will be for recruiting, no matter who is the coach. It's nice, but it's in Morgantown. It won't change the weather and baseball is pretty much the most weather dependent sport.

http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/top-100-programs-by-the-numbers/

Look at the current D1 top 25 on the right of the page. Not all of them are warm weather schools ( most are, by far) but none of them are in a place where the weather is as big an issue as Morgantown.

When you look at the list of the "top 100" baseball programs (not vouching for its precise accuracy but it is a guide) you do see a lot of Big 10 schools on the list but compared to where it is in football and basketball it lags a lot in baseball. I'd say the weather is the reason. Then look at the l schools in warm locations that are on the list despite being small and would have no real chance of competing at high level in football or basketball.

Could we be better? Yes, somewhat, and I don't know if Mazey is capable of doing that but I don't think we can be a top baseball school no matter who coaches or how much money we throw at the program. I'll also say to the extent we have money to throw around, I'd rather throw it at football and basketball which I both care about and have a much better opportunity to be really good than does baseball which doesn't really excite me much. That's especially true since Title IX basically requires us to throw a good bit of money at women's sports (Admittedly, women's soccer is great and women's basketball is good, but I honestly am no excited about that than I am college baseball)

The south has better baseball teams and the north has better hockey teams.

We need to either start the season a month later in the year or put a dome over the new baseballs stadium.

Oh, and winning helps too.

Mazey has arguably the best ball park in college baseball and he was trying to get the Clemson job. After meeting him, I dont know how he can get people to play for him. I don't have to like a guy at all if he wins but when you're not the most likable fella and you lose, well...........

Oh, come on. First of all, I doubt that our stadium, as nice as it is, is the best in the country. Secondly, the Clemson baseball job is probably a 10x better job, strictly from a baseball standpoint, than the WVU job. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Better weather, better talent, etc. It just is. That move would not be a lateral move.

It should be. It's the one sport we have a semblence of competitive talent coming from our high schools.

Not really, everyone knows if you're a top flight baseball player you go to the warm weather. Morgantown just doesnt have that whole weather thing going in its favor. I agree with the premise that we should still be better than we are, there is no excuse for Rutgers like futility in a sport that is mildly popular on the collegiate level nationally. Its not asking much for a few tournament bids a decade.

"Mazey began his coaching career as an assistant coach at Clemson, his alma mater, in 1990. During his four-year stint (1990-93), the Tigers recorded a 198-67 mark, won two Atlantic Coast Conference titles, made four straight NCAA Regional appearances and advanced to the College World Series in 1991."

Not really, everyone knows if you're a top flight baseball player you go to the warm weather. Morgantown just doesnt have that whole weather thing going in its favor. I agree with the premise that we should still be better than we are, there is no excuse for Rutgers like futility in a sport that is mildly popular on the collegiate level nationally. Its not asking much for a few tournament bids a decade.
You completely missed my point. I get that being a northern school is a disadvantage. My point was it is one sport we can sort of rely on in-state talent as WV does produce baseball talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT