ADVERTISEMENT

Quite a swing two weeks makes ...

The Bell Tolls for Thee

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2005
After the last two games I have a bad, gut feeling of a repeat of the 2012 KSU game. If that happens it could deflate the team for the second half of the season. Hope I'm wrong, but not seeing a lot of positive aspects on the Mountaineers' side for this Saturday. Even the possibility of being overlooked isn't there as I'd think losing a play-off spot last season at our place will keep them focused.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor would be a load for even Ohio State and Notre Dame to wade through.
Things will improve with Texas Tech, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State and Kansas State. If WVU isn't at least 4-1 in that stretch, then maybe it will be time for the rope, the tar and the feathers, being the civilized people that we are.

M ighty defense throttled Georgia Southern, 44-0

O utstanding defense obliterated Liberty, 41-17

U nilaterally decimated Maryland, 45-6, on defense and offense

N oxious offense & special teams against Oklahoma, 44-24

T oo many costly mistakes against Oklahoma State, 33-26 in OT. Impressive comeback from 15-point deficit.

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E viscerate Kansas

R ip open a new one for Iowa State

S kewer Kansas State

Yes, four straight undefeated opponents is the utmost challenge.

We all could see this type of October coming since the schedule released months ago. In the summer, I predicted an 0-4 October, after a 3-0 September, but hoped to be wrong.

There's not one team playing college football that would escape unscathed against this back-to-back barrage that's littered with road tests against heavyweights.

However, what we didn't see was the somewhat suspected and dreaded return to such turnover and penalty-riddled football.

The recurring problem, harped on since April & appearing for 3 straight years, temporarily disappeared against sub-par competition.

The September Mountaineers are a completely different team than what you see now. A complete about-face. It's not all because of overpowering competition. The 2 Ls are directly derived from giving the football away a cartoonish 9 times. Late into both of those Ls, the score was close, competitive and within reach.

Really though, such swings are nothing new: 2012 started 5-0 (including two top 25 Ws) and fell to 5-5.

2014 started 6-2 (including a top 4 win) and fell to 6-5.

I agree this October 2015 stretch reeks of yesteryear. I hope the end result is different.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor would be a load for even Ohio State and Notre Dame to wade through.
Things will improve with Texas Tech, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State and Kansas State. If WVU isn't at least 4-1 in that stretch, then maybe it will be time for the rope, the tar and the feathers, being the civilized people that we are.

T oo many costly mistakes against Oklahoma State, 33-26 in OT. Impressive comeback from 15-point deficit.

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E viscerate Kansas

S kewer Kansas State
You are right. That 4 game span would be a challenge for Ohio State. The difference is, they find a way to win 3 of them, possibly all of them, and a minimum of 2 of them. Urban Meyer finds a way to beat a slightly better than average Ok State on a Saturday night in his own stadium. I also agree that we likely win most of the remaining Big 12 games. The problem is, that is simply playing for mediocrity.

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E viscerate Kansas

S kewer Kansas State

That OSU was a must win in order to improve on last year. I'd rather the other team beat us than to hand the game over like TCU last year. This is a brutal run, but OSU is not as good as their ranking and with them coming to our place it was our best chance to pick up a win against a top half Big XII team. As it stands now, I think going into KSU for a win will be a taller order than beating the Cowboys at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT