ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Crabs and Clams

Muskets

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
As I've posted here before, I'm teaching an outdoor cooking class at West Virginia State 4-H Camp. And when I say teaching, I'm really learning new stuff at the same time the campers are. I've done quite a few different things for the class like making a spit and hand turning chickens over hot coals and a lot of dutch oven stuff.

Based on the nautical theme of the camp this year, I'm planning on doing seafood. And help (or attention to possible pitfalls) from any of you that have experience would be appreciated.

Here's my plan:

Monday

Steam Crabs. I've only done this in Poquoson, VA with my cousin with live, right out of the bay, crabs. Have any of you steamed a pot here in WV? Where do I get the crabs?

Tuesday

Clam Bake. Found instructions on the web and am planning on digging a hole and placing large rock (or firebrick) in it. Anyone done this? Do I want little necks?

Wednesday

I'm smoking salmon in my smoker. Might throw some trout in there too.

Thursday

Fish Stew. I've got what I think is a decent recipe that I'm going to put in a dutch oven. Anyone got one they like?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I no longer live it the state and can't give you a direct answer about sourcing the crabs, but I can tell you that you need to be extremely careful dealing with live crabs. They must be alive, which means right out of the water. If you steam a dead one and serve it, you may also be practicing first aid. Please be very careful.

The sickest in my life I ever was based on food was after eating some steamed crabs that sat out in the sun for a bit too long. And it was at a WVU Alumni function in Maple Shade New Jersey, I kid you not.
This post was edited on 4/17 11:42 AM by thebowl

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT