ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Is it time to cut our losses with Holgorsen?

Is it time to cut our losses with Holgorsen?

• Yes

Votes: 74 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 32.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
They are going to say negative things either way. If its not one thing it will be the other. Its not like where Alabama. A good many of our recruits don't have that many options to begin with

Most of our recruits have many options - just click the "+" to see the offers for yourself. You must be thinking of Marshall where 1/2 the recruits are non-qualifiers.

Contract extensions are a big part of recruiting. If a school doesn't extend a HC's contract it is a sign they are on the hot seat. Opposing coaches negative recruit all the time. They tell kids you may sign with that school and the next year there will be a new HC. Sign with us and you don't run that risk. It's a real issue.
We should take that chance at this point. He has not earned an extension and any by giving him one it will just make things more difficult for the university in the long run.

We should take that chance at this point. He has not earned an extension and any by giving him one it will just make things more difficult for the university in the long run.

I am not even arguing against that if the right candidate was available today. Hire Paul Rhodes and we are Iowa State.

I voted no. I was the 28th person to do so.

Instability in the coaching staff is the last thing the program needs.

What does stability for the sake of having stability do? We will be on our 4th coach in 8 years, yet its safe to say the 4th guy will keep beating Maryland who has had 2 coaches over the last 30 years. We have a sold program that is bigger than a coaching staff, we consistently churn out some solid pros, consistently keep our head above water, consistently pull off a noteworthy upset
Last Clemson NC - 1981 - 34 years (Obviously keeping their coach)
Last Georgia NC - 1980 - 35 years (Fired their second all-time wins coach)
Last Colorado NC - 1990 - 25 years (Shared with Georgia Tech, which hasn't competed for another one since)
Last BYU NC - 1984 - 31 years (LaVell Edwards, remember him?)
Last Washington NC - 1991 - 24 years (Shared with Miami, which won again in 2001 and not since)
Last Notre Dame NC - 1988 - 27 years (And we remember their opponent)

My point is, the pursuit of the NC, and xWVU2010x's assertion of once every six years to be in the hunt, is more difficult than it may seem (nothing against xWVU2010x). However, to have a more competitive program than 1 game above .500 in the regular season and a winning conference record is not an unreasonable goal. How many would be complaining if we were indeed 8-4 or 9-3?

The method of the last loss has pushed me over the edge. 5 year of OTJ training, if you will, has "learned" this coach nothing. Time to move on.

Winning an NC and being in the hunt are two entirely different things. We havent sniffed an NC under Holgs, we have yet to finish ranked outside of his first season. To me "being in the hunt" is a 10 win regular season in the Big XII, we have finished no higher than 7 including postseason to date, that is nowhere near "the hunt". Even his first year when he was given a QB from another staff plus two dynamic playmakers, his offense has never lived up to his billing of what he had at Oklahoma State, we plodded through a watered down Big East, backdoored to a BCS bid via tiebreak, and played one excellent game against Clemson which made us forget about a lot of warts on that team and coaching staff.

Georgia has been in the hunt a bunch of times since 1980
Clemson is currently in the playoff so not getting this point
Colorado has pretty much deemphasized football so please leave them out of it
BYU is basically a midmajor so please leave them out of it
Washington is kind of in the same boat as Colorado IMO
Notre Dame is what, 3 years removed from a title game appearance?

Good programs can atleast compete every once in awhile. Missouri has been close a few times in the last 10 years, Iowa was close this year, South Carolina has been right there for most of the last 6-7 years, Baylor and TCU were right there this year. These are all programs I do not consider us to be inferior to us, yet they have had some very big stretches of relevance, so why not us? Why cant we reemerge from Pat White and Rich Rod's shadow and build another monster capable of atleast being in the conversation again for things like National Titles?

To me "being in the hunt" is a 10 win regular season in the Big XII, we have finished no higher than 7 including postseason to date, that is nowhere near "the hunt".

Georgia has been in the hunt a bunch of times since 1980
Clemson is currently in the playoff so not getting this point
Colorado has pretty much deemphasized football so please leave them out of it
BYU is basically a midmajor so please leave them out of it
Washington is kind of in the same boat as Colorado IMO
Notre Dame is what, 3 years removed from a title game appearance?

Good programs can atleast compete every once in awhile. Missouri has been close a few times in the last 10 years, Iowa was close this year, South Carolina has been right there for most of the last 6-7 years, Baylor and TCU were right there this year. These are all programs I do not consider us to be inferior to, yet they have had some very big stretches of relevance, so why not us?

Exactly, and see how the complexion of CFB has changed. I wasn't trying to argue your point, only provide context and definition. I think we are on the same page. Finishing 5th -7th in the B12 is not the standard that DH was brought in to set. Win a title and compete for a NC is what was said by OL, as I recall. DH has done neither and is nowhere close to it.

FAILURE TO MEET PERFORMANCE STANDARDS, would be the boxed checked on the annual performance review if I were AD.

Reactions: GoWVU
Most of our recruits have many options - just click the "+" to see the offers for yourself. You must be thinking of Marshall where 1/2 the recruits are non-qualifiers.

I always look at the offers. Some have good offers some don't. The majority of our recruits have offers from schools considered on the same level as wvu or less. where not exactly stealing people from the Alabama's of the world. our lone QB commitment we are beating the mighty South florida for his services

I always look at the offers. Some have good offers some don't. The majority of our recruits have offers from schools considered on the same level as wvu or less. where not exactly stealing people from the Alabama's of the world. our lone QB commitment we are beating the mighty South florida for his services

Funny you should mention that. USF smoked Temple and finished the year 8-4. They are a program on the rise.

Not even a hundred votes (board is dying). Aside form the silly trolls and low information fans (takes us down to about 12 posters), there should be a realization that there isn't any magic sorcerer out there that can instantly dominate the Big 12.

WVU needs better facilities (Lyons is working on it), better fan support (WVU could take a lesson from other Big 12 schools), and more play makers (a coaching merry-go-round isn't going to help that issue). The last thing we need to do is start dumping coaches just because we haven't climbed far enough up the ladder for some low info fans. Even with all of WVU's deficiencies, Holgorsens teams are competitive against most programs in the conference and we are getting better and better players. IMO we are on the right path and a Big 12 championship is in our future. Maybe even a playoff spot.

School Big 12 Overall Pct.

Oklahoma 11 - 1 .917
Oklahoma State 10 - 2 .833
TCU 10 - 2 .833
Baylor 9 - 3 .750

West Virginia 7 - 5 .583

Texas Tech 7 - 5 .583
Texas 5 - 7 .417
Kansas State 6 - 6 .500
Iowa State 3 - 9 .250
Kansas 0 - 12 .000
Pull the string and an excuse comes out. What is your handle on the Marshall board?

Reactions: GoWVU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT