ADVERTISEMENT

Pens/Craps...

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Only caught bits and pieces of the 1st and second, and the entire 3rd. I have to say I was impressed with the look of ALL the lines tonight. Switching out Kessel and Horny seems to be a good move...did I see Phil Kessel forechecking AND backchecking tonight or have my eyes decieved me lol!?! When Pascal finds himself out there with Sid, they look like they anticipate each other well...

I am starting to notice Cole on the backend A LOT more, and in a good way...he is taking the odd penalty but as a result of the pushback he's exhibiting back there, which in the big picture is fine with me....maybe that D isn't quite as thin as I thought ( I know I'm getting ahead of myself lol)?
MAF outdueled Holtby, and really seems to be rounding into form.
Bennett with another goal is a great sign...a real team win IMO!

I thought Milbury made a very accurate post game assessment in that the Pens just gutted it out in a tough environment against (my description now) a better team. Really, other than the number of clearing passes they seemingly made to no one......something the Craps hardly did.....the only other real downside to the game was the essential no-show by Crosby. He was so ineffective that I'm becoming more and more convinced he's playing hurt.

Still, easily their best win of the season.....and thanks again, Flower.....but perhaps THE biggest and most pleasant surprise (no SHOCK) of the game was......wait for it.......the EMPTY NET GOAL !!!!!

I thought Milbury made a very accurate post game assessment in that the Pens just gutted it out in a tough environment against (my description now) a better team. Really, other than the number of clearing passes they seemingly made to no one......something the Craps hardly did.....the only other real downside to the game was the essential no-show by Crosby. He was so ineffective that I'm becoming more and more convinced he's playing hurt.

Still, easily their best win of the season.....and thanks again, Flower.....but perhaps THE biggest and most pleasant surprise (no SHOCK) of the game was......wait for it.......the EMPTY NET GOAL !!!!!
It is concerning re: Crosby...I am hopeful this line juggling will help him sort it out double quick!....another thing with Sid? What has happened to him in the faceoff circle over the last few years? Is it the wrist lingering perhaps? Whatever it is, it's handcuffing this team when they don't have the opportunity to start with the puck...I haven't looked at and compared his numbers lately but they've gotta be down from even last year....

Agreed...take this Metro win complete with empty netter and get outta dodge!!!

After watching the highlights, an unsung hero of the win was a guy who's done virtually nothing this year.....and has justifiably been hearing about it.....Dave Perron.

On the Kessel game winner, Geno made his typically-dominant move carrying the puck through the O-zone before sliding that beautiful pass onto PK's tape......where he finished the way goal scorers finish. But completely lost in the sequence was the way Perron had Karl Alzner occupied in the slot, hence clearing the cross-ice lane for the pass to Kessel. An absolutely gigantic "assist" on a play where he doesn't get a point.

Meanwhile, after reading your post, I checked Crosby's face-off stats on ESPN and he was actually 18 for 26 (.692)......which we both know is a pretty good batting average. Of course, he may very well have lost several in his own end which resulted in great Crap scoring chances. BTW, Bonino was 12 for 21 (.571) while Geno was his customarily-indifferent 2 for 7 (.222)

Also, kudos to Beau Bennett for continuing to look like a guy playing for a contract (which he is). It was obviously nice.....and the timing couldn't have been better.....to see him bury the very favorable rebound (off the initial Holtby save) into the largely open net.

FOLLOW-UP: What do you think we'll see from this team......regrettably not very renown for its continuous work ethic.....in tonight's game against a not-so-good Buffalo ?? Until then, I'm trying to decide if the Bylsma equation means anything at all.

Last edited:
After watching the highlights, an unsung hero of the win was a guy who's done virtually nothing this year.....and has justifiably been hearing about it.....Dave Perron.

On the Kessel game winner, Geno made his typically-dominant move carrying the puck through the O-zone before sliding that beautiful pass onto PK's tape......where he finished the way goal scorers finish. But completely lost in the sequence was the way Perron had Karl Alzner occupied in the slot, hence clearing the cross-ice lane for the pass to Kessel. An absolutely gigantic "assist" on a play where he doesn't get a point.

Meanwhile, after reading your post, I checked Crosby's face-off stats on ESPN and he was actually 18 for 26 (.692)......which we both know is a pretty good batting average. Of course, he may very well have lost several in his own end which resulted in great Crap scoring chances. BTW, Bonino was 12 for 21 (.571) while Geno was his customarily-indifferent 2 for 7 (.222)

Also, kudos to Beau Bennett for continuing to look like a guy playing for a contract (which he is). It was obviously nice.....and the timing couldn't have been better.....to see him bury the very favorable rebound (off the initial Holtby save) into the largely open net.

FOLLOW-UP: What do you think we'll see from this team......regrettably not very renown for its continuous work ethic.....in tonight's game against a not-so-good Buffalo ?? Until then, I'm trying to decide if the Bylsma equation means anything at all.
That's what happens when you shoot the puck! Bennett puts it on net, Holtby gives up the rebound, and Voila! Bennett buries it! Conversely later on Sid comes down on the right wing with an open shot and then tries to pass it back to the point and it turns into a 3 on 2 the other way. As always, IMO, too much passing on the PP which so far this season has looked very anemic. I think they said last night it was the worst in the league.

Wow...those faceoff stats are far better than what I figured and are a trend I'd love to see continue!
I agree Euell...more shooting and less passing. At least until the pp numbers improve. ...good things happen when you put the puck on net...

Sabres....hmmm....I have not seen much of them this year but will see A LOT more of them next Thursday ,we are catching the Bolts/Sabres game on our way down for TT on Saturday. ..I haven't been to First Niagara Cent-ER :wink: before and am eager to see it in comparison to the old Aud lol...
What's the verdict on the matchup in Ft.Worth this eve gents? Mountaineers always play them close and give a solid effort however...I'm worried this D may be gassed by 3rd qtr with the injuries sustained thus far...LGM!

Wow...those faceoff stats are far better than what I figured and are a trend I'd love to see continue!
I agree Euell...more shooting and less passing. At least until the pp numbers improve. ...good things happen when you put the puck on net...

Sabres....hmmm....I have not seen much of them this year but will see A LOT more of them next Thursday ,we are catching the Bolts/Sabres game on our way down for TT on Saturday. ..I haven't been to First Niagara Cent-ER :wink: before and am eager to see it in comparison to the old Aud lol...
What's the verdict on the matchup in Ft.Worth this eve gents? Mountaineers always play them close and give a solid effort however...I'm worried this D may be gassed by 3rd qtr with the injuries sustained thus far...LGM!
Put another way: You don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take (not my original.)
As for tonight, a lot of people think it will be close, but I am not one of them. Obviously, I hope I am wrong! Go Mountaineers!

So, what will Kessel do on his triumphant return to Toronto tonight ??

Strictly speaking, I really don't care all that much what he does.....though, anything which shuts up the (for absolutely no reason) sanctimonious Leaf fanbase and media is a basic service to the rest of the League.....so long as the Pens leave town with a win. Of course, since most of lower Ontario is probably far more interested in seeing him get shut out than if the Leafs win or lose, I do hope he gets on the board. Oh, and don't forget that tonight is expected to be Eric Fehr's first game as a Penguin.

I expect to miss probably first half of the game; so I"m leaving it up to you guys to hold the fort until I get home.

So, what will Kessel do on his triumphant return to Toronto tonight ??

Strictly speaking, I really don't care all that much what he does.....though, anything which shuts up the (for absolutely no reason) sanctimonious Leaf fanbase and media is a basic service to the rest of the League.....so long as the Pens leave town with a win. Of course, since most of lower Ontario is probably far more interested in seeing him get shut out than if the Leafs win or lose, I do hope he gets on the board. Oh, and don't forget that tonight is expected to be Eric Fehr's first game as a Penguin.

I expect to miss probably first half of the game; so I"m leaving it up to you guys to hold the fort until I get home.
I promise a 2 goal Pens lead when you tune in.

Lol...I certainly hope so Euell!

With the state of the Leaf team, and the recent successes of the Blue Jays it is still Imo truly unbelievable how little Leaf chatter there is in these parts of late...but this match seems to have picked that up a bit with Kessel's return!
Personally I'd love to see him pot a hat trick against them even though I am not the biggest Kessel fan per say...just to shut up both my buddies lol, and the more sanctimonious Leaf-centric nutjobs...
I look forward to seeing Fehr in action tonight...a nice Pens W will add some spring to my step around town, especially with the state of the Mountaineers of late!
Euell you are at the TT game on Saturday? I'll stroll on down to 123 and say hello...what is your row /seat #'s again?
Mountaineers REALLY need this game badly...although I think Dana needs it most of all employment wise. Lose this one and I think Lyons will drop the hammer at season end...

Lol...I certainly hope so Euell!

With the state of the Leaf team, and the recent successes of the Blue Jays it is still Imo truly unbelievable how little Leaf chatter there is in these parts of late...but this match seems to have picked that up a bit with Kessel's return!
Personally I'd love to see him pot a hat trick against them even though I am not the biggest Kessel fan per say...just to shut up both my buddies lol, and the more sanctimonious Leaf-centric nutjobs...
I look forward to seeing Fehr in action tonight...a nice Pens W will add some spring to my step around town, especially with the state of the Mountaineers of late!
Euell you are at the TT game on Saturday? I'll stroll on down to 123 and say hello...what is your row /seat #'s again?
Mountaineers REALLY need this game badly...although I think Dana needs it most of all employment wise. Lose this one and I think Lyons will drop the hammer at season end...
I have only been able to muster up a one goal lead so far. There is a minute left on the five minute major to begin the 2nd, so maybe they can net one!
I will be there with my wife and two nephews in row 15, seats 23-26. I promised you a beer so if you tell me when you are coming by and what kind you drink I will have one waiting for you.

4-0....I am a kid in a candy store right now lol!
I am a Yeungling beer fan Euell...why don't I come meet you just right before half, and we'll venture up for beer/soda? Are the 2 young fellas Pens fans as well and how old are your nephews?

4-0....I am a kid in a candy store right now lol!
I am a Yeungling beer fan Euell...why don't I come meet you just right before half, and we'll venture up for beer/soda? Are the 2 young fellas Pens fans as well and how old are your nephews?
Sounds good. Nephews are sort of Pens fans, but live in Eastern Panhandle and don't get the games and don't watch a lot of hockey. They are 16 and 12 I think and both are decent football players. Looking forward to meeting you. Pens look like different club from one that started the season. Takes a while to get cohesion I guess with all of the new faces. What's your take on Babcock with Leafs?

Sounds good. Nephews are sort of Pens fans, but live in Eastern Panhandle and don't get the games and don't watch a lot of hockey. They are 16 and 12 I think and both are decent football players. Looking forward to meeting you. Pens look like different club from one that started the season. Takes a while to get cohesion I guess with all of the new faces. What's your take on Babcock with Leafs?
Truthfully I am not sure how to think of what Babcock brings to them on the whole at this particular stage? A rather odd thing for a Penguins fan is that I'm actually putting the feeds for his tv's and telestrator in the dressing room in a couple weeks? Should I sabotage lol? If I didn't value my job I'd be all over it lol!

Truthfully I am not sure how to think of what Babcock brings to them on the whole at this particular stage? A rather odd thing for a Penguins fan is that I'm actually putting the feeds for his tv's and telestrator in the dressing room in a couple weeks? Should I sabotage lol? If I didn't value my job I'd be all over it lol!
Do you have to shave off your facial hair to enter the dressing room?

I guess he will settle for 3-0!

Yup, they scored the Cullen goal as my wife and I were returning home from our late afternoon movie (Steve Jobs, which we found fairly compelling even though we don't know how accurate the back-story actually was) and early evening dinner (PF Chang's, which we always enjoy). I had the DVR running, so I did see the first three goals during the second intermission.

His goal aside.....which was a nice, professional SHG.....Fehr does look initially like a difference-maker for this team. I myself would rather him NOT be a difference-maker at Danny Sprong's expense, but it's already clear he provides something.....a legitimate big forward who, unlike the infamous Eric Tangradi, can actually play.....this team hasn't had since Jordan Stahl left town. And he's doing it for 1/3 the money; I just hope this elbow problem is fully healed, and he's now ready to play 65 games.

As expected, I see Leafs media got all kinds of wood this morning because Kessel....and largely, Sid AND Geno.....was a virtual complete no-show while essentially ignoring the game results. Guess they're just getting used to watching this season's equivalent of the '14-15 Sabres.

I also don't want the Pens to place TOO much emphasis on an admittedly solid performance....probably their best 60 minutes of the season thus far....against a team which probably will be VERY fortunate to end up with less than the most envelopes in next spring's Auston Matthews drawing. Anyway, onto the Canadian Western Conference.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT