ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 12/14-12/31

Quite apparent to this guy that they are REALLY plugging the Pens up at the blue line after that first....It seems crazy to me somewhat but although I hope our boys win every darn game they play, if I were to lose to ANYONE I would wish it's the Jets....as a city that lost their team unfairly imo more over economics than fan support (Winterpeg had always shown up before the Phoenix move), and I have to also admit I do like Paul Maurice quite a bit...seems very down to earth...loved listening to him on radio/tv when he was in between jobs.........but still....Let's bloody well go Pens!

Better 2nd for the Pens, but they're still not getting anyone in front of the Jets goal and making things tough for the Hellebuyck kid.

Better 2nd for the Pens, but they're still not getting anyone in front of the Jets goal and making things tough for the Hellebuyck kid.
Indeed they did pressure...and contrary to your /my concerns JZ is holding them in this game late...lets go here!!! 6 ft 8 Myers in the crease lol...how's that for an extra goalie ....Pens gave an effort there is no doubt in my mind. ...

Last edited:
Hey, I missed your post early last evening about E Kane......but saw the reports this morning. Some guys......no matter how young (or old)......just can't seem to figure out how to keep themselves out of hot water. Who knows; maybe when the subject is NHL'ers, the problem is actually the city of Buffalo......

Anyway, I ended up missing the 3rd period.......like the old fart I am,. I fell asleep in the chair.....but it appears JZ did step up pretty well. Hard to blame the goaltender for a loss in any 1-0 game; though, I freely admit I wasn't at all impressed with his turn-to-stone effort (or lack of effort) on the penalty shot.

Of course, he's really never shown very well on those occasions where he was in the net for a shootout, so the Little conversion really wasn't a surprise. OTOH, if you'd have offered me 2 goals firm before the game against Winnipeg's final score.....with Zatkoff in goal.....I'd have said you're insane. So, kudos for a good (and important) comeback performance for JZ.

Checking the highlights, it looks like the Pens did have some damned good chances at the equalizer in that 3rd, .especially late when Myers was making like Gump Worsley. But from what I saw, they just didn't make the Hellebuyck kid work hard enough through the entire 60 minutes.

I think I have a much better idea how Malkin makes other teams feel when he's got it going after watching Blake Wheeler dominate the attacking zone. Granted, he's a physical monster (bigger than Geno) by most every common League standard; but the Pens don't have a single defenseman who can even hope to handle him when he's revved up like last night.

BTW, I read this morning (I don't remember where) that was only the 3rd time in League history the game winner in a 1-0 game came on a penalty shot; the first time was in 1936 (I think) and the other was back in 2006 (or 2007) between the Pens and Leafs with MAF in goal (the Leafs won).

One more thing; morning papers are reporting that Flower is improving but still considered day-to-day. I guess I'm assuming their current plan, assuming no setbacks, is to sit him out this week and target his return for Saturday night versus the Islanders.

Reports are that Flower returned to practice today, claiming to have been symptom-free of his concussion for the past few days.

Apparently, the problem resulted from an accumulation of incidents; the first was some kind of hit in the head (from a King) during the home game vs. LA....sounds as though he thought it to be incidental contact......and he then took an accidental hit from Kunitz in practice a couple days later. Then, after his poor performance versus Washington the day after the Kunitz hit, he reported feeling poorly to the medical staff.

Still nothing whatsoever on his return, but I continue to have a feeling they're hoping he'll call himself ready to play versus the Islanders on Saturday night. In addition, Letang practiced today as well......the team continues to claim the Stoll hit in Minnesota did not result in a concussion. But no word as to whether he'll dress tomorrow night.

It kinda' wouldn't surprise me if he sits tomorrow night versus the Leafs, but dresses against Detroit on New Year's Eve.

Reports are that Flower returned to practice today, claiming to have been symptom-free of his concussion for the past few days.

Apparently, the problem resulted from an accumulation of incidents; the first was some kind of hit in the head (from a King) during the home game vs. LA....sounds as though he thought it to be incidental contact......and he then took an accidental hit from Kunitz in practice a couple days later. Then, after his poor performance versus Washington the day after the Kunitz hit, he reported feeling poorly to the medical staff.

Still nothing whatsoever on his return, but I continue to have a feeling they're hoping he'll call himself ready to play versus the Islanders on Saturday night. In addition, Letang practiced today as well......the team continues to claim the Stoll hit in Minnesota did not result in a concussion. But no word as to whether he'll dress tomorrow night.

It kinda' wouldn't surprise me if he sits tomorrow night versus the Leafs, but dresses against Detroit on New Year's Eve.
Great news re: Flower....and this guy here is hoping for about 6 or 7 goals vs the Laughs tomorrow night....it would shut more than one person's ill advised yapper In these parts!!!

Then again....what REALLY grinds my gears is learning Worley,Durante, Kinsey, and Williams are out this wknd?!?!? Now if somebody can explain to me exactly how the coaching staff did not know that our best CB and our up and coming WR were flunking out months ago is beyond me....

Interesting take in this morning's Pitt Post Gazette by looooooong-time Pens scribe Dave Molinari......

Pens earned the 8th and final playoff slot in the East last year with 98 points; coincidentally, the 8th place Islanders (prior to last night's game in Toronto, which I see they won) were also on a 98 point pace. Entering tonight's game with the Leafs, the Pens are in 11th place with 37 points, meaning they need 61 points in the remaining 47 games to match their 2014-15 total......which equates to a 30-16-1 record.

While I suppose the team, if everything goes right, is fundamentally capable of that kind of record.....or perhaps a few more OT losses to offset a regulation win or two......I myself can't see that happening. Of course, with so much League parody this season, there's no guarantee it'll take that 98 points to qualify this season. And, outside the Craps, it seems like most everyone in the East has had (like the Pens) their own share of problems at one time or another.

Anyway, the only way I can see them making it now is to dramatically turn around their performance versus the Metro; and at least they've still got the full 12 to play against the Cryers, Islanders, and Rangers. With that in mind, I've been complaining privately how absurdly back-ended their conference schedule was setup this season, with zero games versus those three teams scheduled before the New Year.

In looking at the schedule again this morning, I see the Pens play their entire 4-game series with the Rangers between FEB 10 and MAR 27, and 3 of their 4 games with the Cryers between MAR 19 and APR 9 (the last day of the season). Now, I realize the League likes divisional games (especially between rivals) late in the season to maximize interest; and perhaps they've setup schedules for contenders in other divisions similarly.

But as a Pens fan, I'd have sure liked to see their divisional schedule a little more balanced throughout the season; say, at least one game versus the rest of the division before New Year (rather than 3 versus Columbus, 2 versus the Craps, and zip versus everyone else)..

Interesting take in this morning's Pitt Post Gazette by looooooong-time Pens scribe Dave Molinari......

Pens earned the 8th and final playoff slot in the East last year with 98 points; coincidentally, the 8th place Islanders (prior to last night's game in Toronto, which I see they won) were also on a 98 point pace. Entering tonight's game with the Leafs, the Pens are in 11th place with 37 points, meaning they need 61 points in the remaining 47 games to match their 2014-15 total......which equates to a 30-16-1 record.

While I suppose the team, if everything goes right, is fundamentally capable of that kind of record.....or perhaps a few more OT losses to offset a regulation win or two......I myself can't see that happening. Of course, with so much League parody this season, there's no guarantee it'll take that 98 points to qualify this season. And, outside the Craps, it seems like most everyone in the East has had (like the Pens) their own share of problems at one time or another.

Anyway, the only way I can see them making it now is to dramatically turn around their performance versus the Metro; and at least they've still got the full 12 to play against the Cryers, Islanders, and Rangers. With that in mind, I've been complaining privately how absurdly back-ended their conference schedule was setup this season, with zero games versus those three teams scheduled before the New Year.

In looking at the schedule again this morning, I see the Pens play their entire 4-game series with the Rangers between FEB 10 and MAR 27, and 3 of their 4 games with the Cryers between MAR 19 and APR 9 (the last day of the season). Now, I realize the League likes divisional games (especially between rivals) late in the season to maximize interest; and perhaps they've setup schedules for contenders in other divisions similarly.

But as a Pens fan, I'd have sure liked to see their divisional schedule a little more balanced throughout the season; say, at least one game versus the rest of the division before New Year (rather than 3 versus Columbus, 2 versus the Craps, and zip versus everyone else)..
Agree with you here on both counts! I was thinking the other day ....when the hell do we play the majority of the metro teams??? This will likely bite the Pens in the ass big-time down the stretch now. I would assume they have one or several within their offices working with the league on scheduling, whomever signed of on this sched if so should have their head examined. ..climbing out of a hole in today's NHL of this size will be tough, I'm thinking there's been only a small handful of teams to do it over the years....I'm gonna have to do some research on that one...
Meanwhile. ...let's send Leaf nation packing this eve!

Well, Eklund is back at it......and this one is even stranger than his Eric Staal to Pittsburgh fable from a month ago.

Today, he's saying the Pens are talking to the Oil about defense (supposedly part of a "bigger" deal) !!! Of course, considering these two combined probably have less material on the back end than any of the other 28 teams, something like this would certainly make sense o_O

Meanwhile, you'll recall I was talking about perhaps attending the Stars-Blue Jackets last night, which I finally decided against (since it would be a pricier proposition than I needed to deal with while on the employment sidelines.....especially 3 days after Christmas). Anyway, I see the CBJ won 6-3; some interesting stats were the Stars outshooting Columbus 43-33, while getting outhit 10-29.

Sounds like a typical Blue jackets/Torts gameplan versus a more talented team; simply try and steamroll the opponent out of the arena (which apparently worked pretty well). At least the stripes didn't play that much a role; 7 minors between the two teams.

According to ESPN, the game drew a little under 16,000.....87+% of capacity.....so as I suspected, there were plenty of tickets available.

Here's my PO'd post of the year...Phil Kessel is a shitbag!....yeah I've been hearing it for the last hour or so from my Leaf locals....I've got some other adjectives I'd like to add in too but won't...Matt Murray good job!...I'm out till tomorrow with a clear mind gents....:scream:....where is the ANGRY emoticon when you need it?!? Arggggghhh!!!!!!

Here's my PO'd post of the year...Phil Kessel is a shitbag!....yeah I've been hearing it for the last hour or so from my Leaf locals....I've got some other adjectives I'd like to add in too but won't...Matt Murray good job!...I'm out till tomorrow with a clear mind gents....:scream:....where is the ANGRY emoticon when you need it?!? Arggggghhh!!!!!!

I think that's about as mad as I've seen you, t.......of course, I fully understand the reason. Come to think of it, a fair amount of Pens Nation......assuming there is such a thing.....presumably feels the same way today.

Anyway, something tells me that whatever goodwill Kessel still had left entering last night's game is probably laying in the street outside the CEC. Of course, it wasn't just PK last night; the Pens again tried to set a record for most times hitting the opposing goaltender in the logo. Amazing the Pens can take so many shots while the opposing goaltender (comparatively-speaking) isn't worked all that hard. Of course, that understates the game Bernier played; I honestly doubt he's played too many games a whole lot better than last night with the Leafs.

Of course, Murray alone earned the Pens the losers point after stoning all those (mostly Letang-caused) breakaways in the 3rd. Unfortunately......and I don't know how you were feeling......when the horn sounded, I myself thought the Pens were going into overtime at a huge disadvantage in the net. Of course, Murray responded by getting beaten cleanly on both Leaf attempts while the Pens (of course) didn't even scare the net in their three shots.

So, they're in Detroit tonight; why wouldn't I be surprised if they (unlike the Leafs last night) got beat 4-0 ???

I think that's about as mad as I've seen you, t.......of course, I fully understand the reason. Come to think of it, a fair amount of Pens Nation......assuming there is such a thing.....presumably feels the same way today.

Anyway, something tells me that whatever goodwill Kessel still had left entering last night's game is probably laying in the street outside the CEC. Of course, it wasn't just PK last night; the Pens again tried to set a record for most times hitting the opposing goaltender in the logo. Amazing the Pens can take so many shots while the opposing goaltender (comparatively-speaking) isn't worked all that hard. Of course, that understates the game Bernier played; I honestly doubt he's played too many games a whole lot better than last night with the Leafs.

Of course, Murray alone earned the Pens the losers point after stoning all those (mostly Letang-caused) breakaways in the 3rd. Unfortunately......and I don't know how you were feeling......when the horn sounded, I myself thought the Pens were going into overtime at a huge disadvantage in the net. Of course, Murray responded by getting beaten cleanly on both Leaf attempts while the Pens (of course) didn't even scare the net in their three shots.

So, they're in Detroit tonight; why wouldn't I be surprised if they (unlike the Leafs last night) got beat 4-0 ???
I think I heard or read that Bernier had given up 6 goals the night before on 15 shots. However, as has been written and stated ad nauseum, the Pens make every goaltender look like a Vezina winner. Most shots the Pens take are, as you said, on the logo of the goalie or six feet wide of the net.

Well....now that my blood pressure has subsided a bit (and I do say this somewhat in jest as it is truthfully ONLY A GAME, which I have no bearing on other than a rooting interest) from Leaf fans jabs....
Sid had a good game as he usually does vs the Leafs, but what he was thinking on that shootout attempt I will never know...unless he has some kind of book on Bernier that the rest of us don't? Bizarre in my eyes nonetheless. ..
Murray did look good to me in there, exception the shootout which perhaps the nerves got the best of him. If this is the Pens future in net, at least he looks very promising , man he is tall lanky and athletic!

How the Pens can wheel and deal the puck when 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 is truly mesmerizing sometimes. ...equally mesmerizing is how they can't SCORE in these opportunities!

Kessel has what 6 or 7 shots at least and several being ones a guy of his ability should BURY but nope....I am growing weary of seeing him waste golden opportunities and at the same time after not cashing in putting himself in bad positioning when he is obviously completely gassed!

Lastly the Komorov hit on Letang...downright dirty and he should have been ejected from the game and a hearing scheduled imo...what really incensed me however was listening to the total lughead Kypreos during the intermission blame Letang!?! 'He puts himself in these positions to get hurt more than anyone else in the league' his words...really Nick? Maybe so but for you to put the blame for such a dirty play on the victim just floors me...also added commentary of 'why didn't Letangs D partner do something to slow Komorov's approach'...Huh???? I couldn't stand the idiot before now I downright despise his brand of 'analysis'....

As you mention I would not be surprised at that predict in Detroit tonight...then again I wouldn't be shocked to see it in the other direction...Jekyll and Hyde a lot of the time...

I know one other thing...this D must improve markedly or this slide will continue and likely land them very close to the basement.....yikes.

Reactions: COOL MAN
I think I heard or read that Bernier had given up 6 goals the night before on 15 shots. However, as has been written and stated ad nauseum, the Pens make every goaltender look like a Vezina winner. Most shots the Pens take are, as you said, on the logo of the goalie or six feet wide of the net.
It is truly maddening isn't it Euell...with all the marksmen on this squad I (we) expect far better....

Well....now that my blood pressure has subsided a bit (and I do say this somewhat in jest as it is truthfully ONLY A GAME, which I have no bearing on other than a rooting interest) from Leaf fans jabs....
Sid had a good game as he usually does vs the Leafs, but what he was thinking on that shootout attempt I will never know...unless he has some kind of book on Bernier that the rest of us don't? Bizarre in my eyes nonetheless. ..
Murray did look good to me in there, exception the shootout which perhaps the nerves got the best of him. If this is the Pens future in net, at least he looks very promising , man he is tall lanky and athletic!

How the Pens can wheel and deal the puck when 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 is truly mesmerizing sometimes. ...equally mesmerizing is how they can't SCORE in these opportunities!

Kessel has what 6 or 7 shots at least and several being ones a guy of his ability should BURY but nope....I am growing weary of seeing him waste golden opportunities and at the same time after not cashing in putting himself in bad positioning when he is obviously completely gassed!

Lastly the Komorov hit on Letang...downright dirty and he should have been ejected from the game and a hearing scheduled imo...what really incensed me however was listening to the total lughead Kypreos during the intermission blame Letang!?! 'He puts himself in these positions to get hurt more than anyone else in the league' his words...really Nick? Maybe so but for you to put the blame for such a dirty play on the victim just floors me...also added commentary of 'why didn't Letangs D partner do something to slow Komorov's approach'...Huh???? I couldn't stand the idiot before now I downright despise his brand of 'analysis'....

As you mention I would not be surprised at that predict in Detroit tonight...then again I wouldn't be shocked to see it in the other direction...Jekyll and Hyde a lot of the time...

I know one other thing...this D must improve markedly or this slide will continue and likely land them very close to the basement.....yikes.

I ended up watching the Leafs (I think) Sportsnet telecast last night on Center Ice (rather than Steigy and Errey on the Pens feed) and found the broadcasters.....who I honestly couldn't identify.....pretty damned good.

They were obviously rooting for their own team, but called the game (I felt) surprisingly down the middle. When I think of the Leafs, I tend to think of that loudmouth I hear screaming on their radio broadcasts (Joe Bowen, maybe ??). These two thought Bernier was all-world but were equally quick to recognize Murray as well. Like everyone else in Canada, they appreciated that Kessel kept shooting blanks.....but they were also equally quick to mention how well Sid played. And neither of them sugar-coated the Komarov hit (and did I hear one of them refer to LK as "Uncle Leo" ??)

All in all, I thought it as good a call of a Canada team (versus one from the US) as I've heard in some time. And coming off my moaning earlier in the season about Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson, it was totally unexpected. Meanwhile, I didn't watch the between-period talk, and therefore missed the Kypreos comments......though, I seem to recall he goes out of his way to be outrageous (and worse, doesn't like the Pens very much to begin with). As for Kessel, I think last night could be argued as his single worst.....well. maybe most disappointing is a better description.....game in Pittsburgh.

Did you guys you get the impression, as I did, how really unusual it was for them to score this season on Sid's bang-bang pass to Kunitz ?? That kind of goal used to be a fairly common/routine occurrence for this team; now, outside Dupuis' last goal ( think) versus Montreal, I can't immediately remember another this season right off the top of my head.

It is truly maddening isn't it Euell...with all the marksmen on this squad I (we) expect far better....
You guys know a lot more about such things than me, but it is my observation also that more "one timers" instead of settling the puck down and then shooting it might lead to more goals. Your buddy Kessel is one I think often takes too long to "tee it up" and oftentimes still can't put it on net.

I ended up watching the Leafs (I think) Sportsnet telecast last night on Center Ice (rather than Steigy and Errey on the Pens feed) and found the broadcasters.....who I honestly couldn't identify.....pretty damned good.

They were obviously rooting for their own team, but called the game (I felt) surprisingly down the middle. When I think of the Leafs, I tend to think of that loudmouth I hear screaming on their radio broadcasts (Joe Bowen, maybe ??). These two thought Bernier was all-world but were equally quick to recognize Murray as well. Like everyone else in Canada, they appreciated that Kessel kept shooting blanks.....but they were also equally quick to mention how well Sid played. And neither of them sugar-coated the Komarov hit (and did I hear one of them refer to LK as "Uncle Leo" ??)

All in all, I thought it as good a call of a Canada team (versus one from the US) as I've heard in some time. And coming off my moaning earlier in the season about Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson, it was totally unexpected. Meanwhile, I didn't watch the between-period talk, and therefore missed the Kypreos comments......though, I seem to recall he goes out of his way to be outrageous (and worse, doesn't like the Pens very much to begin with). As for Kessel, I think last night could be argued as his single worst.....well. maybe most disappointing is a better description.....game in Pittsburgh.

Did you guys you get the impression, as I did, how really unusual it was for them to score this season on Sid's bang-bang pass to Kunitz ?? That kind of goal used to be a fairly common/routine occurrence for this team; now, outside Dupuis' last goal ( think) versus Montreal, I can't immediately remember another this season right off the top of my head.

I too watched the Leafs broadcast and enjoyed it. I can't stand Stiegerwald and Errey. It is obvious Letang is being targeted around the league. No major penalty or suspension for Stoll. No major last night and I will assume no suspension. Is it going to take a guy like Letang getting knocked out of the league before the NHL reacts to head shots?

You guys know a lot more about such things than me, but it is my observation also that more "one timers" instead of settling the puck down and then shooting it might lead to more goals. Your buddy Kessel is one I think often takes too long to "tee it up" and oftentimes still can't put it on net.

Euell, I tweeted that last night. Hornqvist had a nice one-timer late. Other than that, the team settles the puck regularly before firing allowing the keeper to improve his angle and allowing defensemen to block shots. It is puzzling.

I too watched the Leafs broadcast and enjoyed it. I can't stand Stiegerwald and Errey. It is obvious Letang is being targeted around the league. No major penalty or suspension for Stoll. No major last night and I will assume no suspension. Is it going to take a guy like Letang getting knocked out of the league before the NHL reacts to head shots?

I guess I hadn't thought of it that way; maybe I just don't want to think of it that way. But those two specific examples of head shots to the same recipient within a week of one another.....and the resulting lack of official discipline (though I guess we don't know yet if Komarov will get a call from Colin Campbell).....would seem to provide at least some degree of credence to that notion.

In some regard, it gets back to a point I made recently about the number of passes which seem so frequently to be bouncing off Penguin sticks this season. If you can't control the pass, you obviously can't cut loose with the one-timer.

Speaking of Kessel, I don't think the one-timer is considered to be his strong suit; I believe he's more a "receive-aim-fire" type of shooter (t can probably respond to this point with more thoughtfulness than yours truly). But they've botched so many passes (comparatively speaking) this season that it looks almost like they're playing on consistently bad ice; which has been identified as a problem at the CEC pretty much from Day 1.

Unfortunately, I don't think this problem is confined to games played on home ice......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT